Kimber Model 84 Varmint rifles?

k9jones

Do any of you guys have any experience with the Kimber Model 84 Varmint or Varmint Pro rifles? I saw a Varmint in 22-250 today in the gun shop and it was a nice looking rifle. It had a walnut stock, mat finished receiver, and stainless fluted barrel. The trigger on the rifle was nice and crisp. I have done a little reseach on the gun and see that it has an adjustable trigger, but can't find any reviews on the gun's accuracy.

If thinking about a Kimber you should also look at the Coopers. Kimber has been variable over the years. Cooper has been a steady performer.

Jack

I just resently asked Jack the same question then @ the range a shooter had 2 kimber's. This man is a good shooter but not impressed with the targets. My Savage @ 1/2 the price won hands down so I would lean in Jack's direction for Cooper's too.

Kimbers are hit & miss for quality. The company often gives a bad attitude when confronted with evidence of poor workmanship. Just yesterday a gun counter employee handed me two Kimber rifles saying how high quality they were. Instantly I noticed my first complaint about many Kimbers. The barrel was so offset in the stock that one side was touching with a large gap on the other side. The Sako & Tikka lines are worth looking at. Many happy owners here.

I was going too get a Kimber in .300 wsm. After looking at 6 rifles in the same model, I changed my mind. 4 of the 6 looked at, the drop plate for the ammo would not release when the button was pushed!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif Too tight in the stock along with an uneven barrel channel! Kimbers are not worth there asking price.
Spend a few more bucks and get twice the gun in a Cooper!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Tim

+1 for the Coopers. If you look on GunsAmerica, you should be able to find a dealer who has what you want in stock at a bit below list price, as opposed to ordering one, waiting a year and paying list. I now have two Coopers, and both are great shooters.

+2 for the Coopers. Several dealers stck Coopers. GunsAmerica and GunBroker good places to start. I have several and all are fantastic. Another one arrives here next Wednesday.

I have owned three Kimbers over the past 8 years. Only one still lives here, and the future is not certain for it. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

I have a Kimber Longmaster 22-250 that I decided to get after shooting a friends Kimber Pro Varmint in 22-250. This gun shot GREAT. I have heard nothing but good things about Kimbers customer service and their turn around time on making something right for the customer.

Last edited:
I have a Kimber varmint in 22-250. The gun shoots legitimate 1/2 inch groups or better. I also have savage and remington heavy bbls that shoot just as well but weight 8 1/2 to 9 lbs. Thge Kimber weighs only 7 lbs with a 26 inch bbl which is a lot easier for me to haul around. I also have a kimber classic 22 LR, a Class 22-250. a montana 243 and a Super America 223. These guns are all extremely light and shoot very well. I haven't had a complaint with any of them.

I really apreciate your replies. You have now gotten me a little concern about the Kimbers. I do like the weight of the Kimber Varmint, and would realy like a rifle around this weight and style that will shoot.

I was surfing Guns America, and noticed two Kimber manufactors (Kimber America and Kimber Oregon), what is the difference?

Of course if you had a cooper the floor plate wouldn't be in a bind. Because it is a single shot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have a Kimber 22-250 Classic Varmint. The barrel channel wasn't straight either. It's walnut and it doesnt hurt to Glass Bed any wood stock. They all shrink and swell from climate change. Doesn't matter if it is on a $400 rifle or $1200 rifle. JMO

I have a kimber 84m varmint in .204 ruger.
The gun shoots better than i ever will.
i have a m70 winchester in 270 win.
This gun (270)is the most accurate rifle i have ever owned.
My kimber is going to beat it hands down.
Kimber has beautiful walnut. the fit and finish are artful.
this gun is perfect weight for me as i did not want a 12 lb savage or a 14 lb benchrest rifle.
i also did not want a 5 lb matchstick..so this rifle was right in between.a little over 8 lbs loaded.. with scope.
If they are hit and miss i definitly hit dead on with this one. here are some pics.
action.JPG

butt.JPG

target.JPG

target was preliminary sight in with 39 gr blitzking
probably would have had 5 touching but had a wasp
buzz me while squeezing off. 4 shot group was .621
i have since shot .214

Last edited:
If the gun is right to begin with you should'nt have to worry about turn around time . The gun rags seem to promote them well enough but the only firsthand news from one of my hunting partners was that accuracy was lacking . He really wanted another coyote gun but the 84 was'nt it .

Quote:
I was surfing Guns America, and noticed two Kimber manufactors (Kimber America and Kimber Oregon), what is the difference?

Kimber Oregon is where Kimber was born. I don't know the whole history but now they are in New York.

I have a kimber and it is a great gun, about 1" @ 300. no kidding, if i could shoot i could only imagine. i have never shot a cooper, but my uncle builds them there, from what i have heard they are some good shooters also. they are both good guns.
Clint

Back