222 contender reloading

rascals

I have been trying to work up a good accurate load for my 10" bbl. contender,and have a few questions concerning components and reloading in general.I have read that the 222 is not as accurate as the 221 fireball because it is a rifle cartridge and cannot burn all the powder in a 10"bbl.
Questions:
1 Have been using 4198imr powder,is there a better choice.
2 Would using a Magnum Pistol primer help burn the Powder?
3 How critical is primer choice in general?
4 the best bullet yet has been 53G H-P match any other suggestions
5 Proper seating depth from lands.

I use 4895, but that's in a 21" barrel. I shot it in a 14" too, had no accuracy complaint whatsoever. 222 is excellent.

Mag pistol primers are hotter, but seat in deeper, make sure your contender will pop 'em. Mine will, but it's unnerving, and I just decided against it.

I think consistency is more important than shopping the primer market. Pick one and stick with it.

I haven't had trouble with 222 accuracy in any bullet. They all shoot good. Pick one for terminal performance rather than ballistics if your luck is the same as mine.

Feed the gun what it likes! Gun by gun aside from general guidelines.

1. I would try N120 or N130 a faster powder.
2. I would switch to Rem 7.5 primers (They have pretty thick cups.)
3. Because of the short barrel I'd switch to a 40 Gr. V-max or Blitzking.
4 Seating depth can vary from gun to gun your going to have to play with it.

Last edited:
"I have read that the 222 is not as accurate as the 221 fireball because it is a rifle cartridge".

Maybe not as efficient...but I have had a single sampling of both and could not make that statement at all.

Back