savage 12fv .204

josebd

got this brand new shot 3 times at 100 tards with hornady factory 32 grain 2 inches!i have shot it about 15 times at 45 yards just to break it in. i noticed when i got it theres at bur at the end of the crown? could this be my problem?oh by the way its a nikon 18 power scope,everthing is tight

Last edited:
When I got a .22-250 12FV, the action bolts were loose. You might want to check them. I'm not too familiar with crown problems but I definately think you should get someone to look at it or e-mail Savage a picture.
Awesome gun but a crappy stock. Sand down the positive checkering, fill with bodyfill and then paint to preference. Mine is snow camo now. Oh yeah, sand down the mold lines and fill in any low spots on the stock as well. Some people here have bedded the recoil lug as well. Good luck,Ryan
Mine shoots give or take .5

forgot to mention when i picked the gun up at the gunshop,the guy mounted the scope then used one of those bore sighters,when he stuck the rod in the barrel,he was reall forcing it in,probably an inch.he said he had to fabricate this one. then when he pulled it out,it was really hard to get out. i didnt like that but i kept my mouth shut. could this have caused this? the rod was aluminum,i think,it wasnt brass

I could be way off base, but based on your description, it sounds like the dude completely f#*@ed up your crown. You're in for a rough ride, because if the dude is dumb enough to do something like that, then he's probably not gonna be real hot to make things right.

Then Savage will say, what the hell did you let him go and do that for? BTW, hasn't he heard of the MAGNETIC boresighter studs???

End result, you'll probably have to have it recrowned by a COMPETENT gunsmith.

Good luck. Also, just for comparison, mine shot 3/4 moa out of the box.

Need a little clarification here.
Is the burr at the junction of the crown and the bore or on the outside edge of the barrel? If on the outside it is nothing, just dress it up with a file. If at the edge of the bore, it matters and needs to be recrowned.

Jack

no its on the very outside directly in the middle of one of the lands.i got to looking at my target,and i think the very first shot was high and to the right of the other two,the other 2 were a little over 3/4.maybe the first one was a flier?maybe ittle be allright,i just didnt like to see that burr

I think you just found out the hard way that you are better off not having other peoples grubby hands on your rifle. You may want to call savage and tell them there is a problem, Id leave off the part about the store beating something into your barrel. Take a good look at the crown then if need be call the store and ask for the manager. Yes, they are supposed to know more than you and should be responsable for their work. Last resort would be small claims court, document everything, every person you talk to.

i looked at the crown again,its on the outside,i dont think its a problem,but im gonna get more ammo and see in the next 2 days. i talked to the guy that sold it to me,he said i had to box it up and send it to savage!

Savage rifles often come with a less than target crown. Mine on my 10FP is what I would call rough compared to my Remingtons, etc, but it shoots like stud. So for me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also, PM sent.

In my experience Savage rifles are good shooters,however they tend to start shooting better afrer you shoot 100 or so rounds.The barrels are a little rough and it takes some time to break in the barrel.Also usually the first shot through a clean barrel will fly a little off.I never try to group with a clean barrel.fire a couple fowlers then try to group.Good luck.

i shot it this morning first two touching,3rd i flinched a little 1/2 high. i think its gonna be alright,i just didnt like seeing that burr,THANKS ALOT GUYS FOR THE GREAT ADVICE

Quote:
I could be way off base, but based on your description, it sounds like the dude completely f#*@ed up your crown. You're in for a rough ride, because if the dude is dumb enough to do something like that, then he's probably not gonna be real hot to make things right.

Then Savage will say, what the hell did you let him go and do that for? BTW, hasn't he heard of the MAGNETIC boresighter studs???

When I had the Scope mounted on My .204, they didn't have the proper bore sight stud so, they took a smaller stud and wrapped masking tape around it to make it fit.

I still had to shoot an entire box of shells to find paper!

I guess they never heard of a MAGNETIC boresighter stud either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

"When I had the Scope mounted on My .204, they didn't have the proper bore sight stud so, they took a smaller stud and wrapped masking tape around it to make it fit.

I still had to shoot an entire box of shells to find paper!

I guess they never heard of a MAGNETIC boresighter stud either!"
This whole thread has been a bit scary! The rube that would force an altered bore sighter stud into the end of your barrel, surely would not properly lap your rings, or much less bed your bases to the receiver either! Maybe I'm too particular, but these are things that I think should be done when mounting a scope with most commonly available mounting systems...YMMV.
The old tried and true method of boresighting, removing the bolt and looking through the bore and adjusting the reticle accordingly, still works amazingly well. I can usually get the first shot in an 8" black bull at 100yds near 80% of the time, always on the paper anyway. That's probably why I never felt the need to spring for a bore sighting rig. I'm still just a dinosaur, I guess.

Quote:

The old tried and true method of boresighting, removing the bolt and looking through the bore and adjusting the reticle accordingly, still works amazingly well. I can usually get the first shot in an 8" black bull at 100yds near 80% of the time, always on the paper anyway. That's probably why I never felt the need to spring for a bore sighting rig. I'm still just a dinosaur, I guess.

works wonders for me 2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Back