Need opinions on picking a rifle.

N_Georgia

I am either going to buy a new Savage 10FP in blued or a Used Savage 10FPSS in of course stainless with fluted barrel. They are both $600. This is going to be my yote gun and there is the possibly that it may get a camo paint job. Does anyone have anything bad to say about the stainless model?? The one good thing I though about was that I did camo the stainless I could always strip it and have a pretty gun to resale, but on the other hand if I don't camo it I don't know if a stainless gun is the best idea for yote hunting in the daylight???

Any opinions would be great...

Quote:
......I don't know if a stainless gun is the best idea for yote hunting in the daylight???

NO STAINLESS FOR COYOTE HUNTING.

It's hard enough to get them into the call.......why take a chance on glare from a silver barrel? Of course....shiny blued barrels do their share of glaring also, but avoid the stainless.....JMHO.

Many of my guns have stainless barrels. They aren't shiny at all and cause no problems. The absolute worst gun I have in the "shiny" department is a Weatherby Mark V, EVERYTHING shines like a mirror on it, from the (deeply blued) barrel to the (beautiful) stock. Useless for hunting.

Stainless barrels will (generally) last longer and need less care too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Bead blasting for a dull finish Duracoat for an invisible finish. Hell even Krylon will work for a camo job I would do that on a yote gun anyway.

I'm with Weasel, servrel of my calling rigs have bead blasted SS barrels, never was an issue. So you know some SS will rust in some areas but not as severe as the moly.

I just haven't seen any difference between a stainless gun and a blued gun in the field... especially if, as stated before, it is a bead blasted job. I prefer blued guns over stainless but it is strictly personal taste and not based on any strong evidence or negative experiences. I suppose a nickel plated job would be prone to light reflection that might or might not disturb game... but most stainless rifles don't catch the light that well... and as said before seem more gray than anything else.

Quote:
I am either going to buy a new Savage 10FP in blued or a Used Savage 10FPSS in of course stainless with fluted barrel. They are both $600. This is going to be my yote gun and there is the possibly that it may get a camo paint job. Does anyone have anything bad to say about the stainless model?? The one good thing I though about was that I did camo the stainless I could always strip it and have a pretty gun to resale, but on the other hand if I don't camo it I don't know if a stainless gun is the best idea for yote hunting in the daylight???

Well for starters those are both pretty heavy for calling/carry rifles. I think you need to do a little more price shopping. My last used Savage 12FV (a PD gun) was in near new condition and cost me $300 that included the scope.

Look at a Tikka T3 it should be a little less than those in price. Weight is just over 6 pounds and it will do everything you need.

Take a look here!

Back