Oklahoma prairie dog hunt

Kermit

Got back last night from a prairie dog hunt in the Oklahoma panhandle. Five of us went, and all had a good time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif The wind was very tough on Friday & Saturday, and it took some experimenting to figure out how much windage to use. Sunday was not nearly as windy and everyone enjoyed it much more. We hunted two seperate dog towns. The first one was pretty good, and we zapped a lot of the little rodents. My personal best shot was a 90 yard kill with a .22 pistol. No one would have believed it if another one of the guys hadn't stood there and watched it, and then stepped it off. That's pretty good for me since I'm not the best shot with a pistol. As I said everyone had a great time. The folks in the area where we hunt are great, and always make feel welcome. I'd go back tomorrow if I could. The only down side is I'll have to wait till next May to go back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sounds like alot of fun.The last time I shot out there the numbers were way down due to the plague.Do the dogs appear to have rebound to you?What is the nearest town to where you were as it might not be close to where I usually shoot(Boise City).
A 90 yard shot with a hand gun is pretty good in my book so don't sell yourself short.
okhunter

Okhunter,

We hunt in the area near Gate. We stay at a little mom & pop motel in Laverne and just drive out to the dog towns. I can't really say about whether plague has affected the number of dogs. It looked like there were still quite a few there. Some are very spooky and will go underground at the first sight of a vehicle or person. The landowner says that dog town gets more shooting pressure and dogs are spookier. Most of the time we seemed to have enough to shoot at, though springtime seems to be much better number wise. Hope that answered your questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds like fun Kermit,were u guys sniping them what calibres were you using? The best we got here in oz is bunny warrens i want to buy a .204 varminter specifically for sniping them with, and a kick butt long range leupold scope with varminter recticle.

Last edited:
Overkill,

There were five of us, and we used a variety of firearms. We used 7.62x39, .25-06, .243, .223, .222, .204, .22, and .17 HMR rifles. We also used some .22 cal pistols.

Whoa! thats a fair arsenal of firearms, sounds like a load of fun thats for sure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back