Hornady SST as a hunting bullet???

savage99

Does anyone have experience with the SST in 7mm or 30 cal. as a hunting pill? I am considering using the 139 gr. SST in my 280 Rem (7mm caliber) and would be using it on both whitetail and black bear. I got a bunch in trade and thought I'd try them if they are tough enough, otherwise, what do you all suggest in 7mm? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

i got a box of 160 grain partitions for my 7mag but havent had a chance to load anything up yet. anyways couldnt see why they wouldnt work.

I would use the SST in a 7MM 08. But in a .280 or 30 caliber and you start talking about bears. No you need a stouter bullet. Unless you like being chewed on by a bear.

Last edited:
My brother shot a bull elk with a 165 grain sst in a 30-06. One shot was all that it took. I thought that it was lightly constructed for elk but someone forgot to tell the elk that.
Harvey7

I had lots of experience using them in my Encore and a friends A-Bolt, both in .280 REM. On whitetails they were nasty. All wounds were tennis ball sized or larger at entrance. It was a very explosive bullet yielding shallow penetrations and rapid expansions with large tissue damage at ranges from 20yds to 100yds. Extreme blood loss with large shock zones were seen with bruising as far as 3 feet from the entrance. Typically the core seperated and passed straight through with little damage as the jacket seemed to do the most damage upon impact. We never lost a single whitetail to them making neck and shoulder shots on all the deer. As for a bear bullet, I wouldn't recommend them. From what I have read, they perform better at a distance beyond 200yds. I would look to something simple such as the Core-Lokt or Hornady Interlock. Being a meat hunter, I quit using them. They even expanded rapidly on groundhogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. By the way I used Reloader 19 in 53.4gr for the Encore and 57.4 for the A-Bolt.

I have only shot a coyote with one (338, I know overkill) and the hole was impressive. Basically like a movie where the villan hits someone and leaves a fist sized hole straight thru the little thing. I have had remarkable accuracy with them. Comparable with the Nosler Partition?

Savage,
in my opinion they are pretty good hunting bullets, they do drop game like a bad habbit but htey tear a pretty good hole. I use them in my 30-06 and have been well pleased with their preformance. I also use the SST ML bullet in my 50 cal Knight and they will just make a deer fold up and drop on the spot!! Like i say i have good luck with them but i have heard people say they didnt like them

Ive shot them in my 270 sendero using 130gr SSTs and used on deer at 50yds out to 365yards.Results were small penetration and no exit.Shots where placed into the heart lung area which was mush however no major meat damage.Shot a coon and amazingly did well also.Coyote shot frontal at 100 plus yards with about a 3inch hole in chest and no exit.
This is one persons experience but as to date they have not failed me.Will consider other choices when an if they time comes but for now I plan on trying them out in a new 280AI I will be receiving.Hope you experience similiar results?

They are my go to bullets for big game. I load them in my .243 and my 7mm Rem Mag and now I load the SST (interbond) in my 7MM RUM. I think they are one of the best bullets out there. I have shot everything from 50 yards out past 400 and have nothing bad to say about them. I say go for it you won't be sorry! I re-read your post and if your going after bears the SST Interbond would be a little better choice. I love them both and don't think you would have any problems but the interbond is a little tougher.

I would also like to add that all of mine with either 7mm have been through on whitetails and 75% pass throughs with the .243 with the insides turned into jello...

I have shot 2 deer and one coyote with the 270 SST. Damage varied between all three, but none were extreme.

A friend shot a doe with the 154 gr 7MM SST and hit her low in the brisket. Thank god the bullet fragmented and hit her heart, otherwise she could have gone a long way.

I use the Interbond all the time. I have shot yotes, mule deer and elk with them. I really like the inter bond bullet. My wife really like the SST. She has taken 3 mule deer and 2 big elk with the SST. Both have dropped in their track. A 30 caliber SST bullet will take a bear no problem at all, especially at the ranges most bears are shot. If your gun shoot the SST well then use it, if not try the interbond. Good luck and show us some pics.

The SST is very similar to the Nosler Balistic Tip. IMHO they are very good hunting bullets for deer sized game. The SST interbond and the Nosler Accubond are basically the same thing as well.

I use the Hornady 95 gr SST with Rel 22 in my 240 Wby and it drops deer in their tracks. I have some 180 gr in 30 cal i will be trying in my 06 . The SST are hard to beat for deer. I'm sure they would work well for Elk and Bear but would feel more confortable with the Interbonds for these animals. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hit my buck to far back last year (he took a step, I should have grunted him to a halt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif ).

My 6.5 swede threw the 140gr SST at around 2500fps at 15 yards. He was dead, didn't know it.

I found him about 75 downhill yards away. The SST liquidated the inerds.

Bears? Couldn't tell ya.

Rick

Back