the best varmint scope for the $

vern58

i shoot a heavy barrel .22-250, a savage 110v. i need to upgrade to a kickbutt scope for 500 yard + shooting. i don't have bill gates money but i know quailty comes with a price. can anyone help with a great scope at a good price for my needs. want is the best power. where is the best place to get the scope?????? i need your input. thanks alot p.s. my long shot on a pdog this year was 407. LaVern S. waseca, minnesota

I am consistently killing prairie dogs at 485-585 yards with a BSA 8-32x44.

Does not really get any cheaper than that.

I currently have a Bushnell 4200 4x16x40 which works great. I liked this scope so much I ordered another Bushnell 4200 8x32x40 for my new gun. I was always a Leupold guy before but my dealer had one and I checked it out and haven't went back since. Definately a winner in my book for not alot of money.

I have a 4.5x14x50 leupold VxIII and my son has a 4x14x50? B&L (bushnell). I would take his scope any day! His was cheaper and better. His is easy and quick to find the the target, and easy to adjust the power ring. I am thinking about welding a pipe wrench on to the power ring because it is too hard to turn with out using all of your musules in your body. If it gets cold then I bring out the blow torch to make it move. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif If I forget to move the power down to the lowest setting at the beginning of the stand than I just start straying the landscape with bullets because I know I have to use two arms and a leg to adjust the power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I don't like my leupold.

I've got a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Premium in 6.5-20 that I love. It's very similar to the VXIII in clarity and light gathering. Oh and it's only like $360!!!

I love my Nikons. Both Buckmasters 6x18x40 at around $250-300. I like them so much I'm looking for a 6.5 x 20 x 44 Monarch Series for a .204. Prefer them over the Lopes and anything else I've looked through. You need to go somewhere that they carry a lot of the different brands and find what will work for you in your price range. I'm shooting distance in Wyoming and getting spectacular results. I think if you read enough of these threads you'll see some very satisfied customers on the Nikons. Good luck to you in your search.

The Bushnell 4200 Elite series are great for the price I've used a couple of the 4.5X16's on AR's and they are what i will buy next time.

Try the BSA 4-16 power mildot scopes. Plenty of scope for 500 yards and I've never had a problem with a BSA scope. I also love the mildot. You should be able to find one for around $100, Got mine from Cabelas.

CB

Quote:
All my varmint guns have Nikon Monarchs on them. I think they are the best scope for the money.

2nd that. Can't beat Nikon Monarchs for good quality and value $$$.IMHO

I have the 5.5-16.5x44 and I love it. I would get the 6.5-20 if I were you.

Edited to add: Shop the internet and compare prices. Try SkyOptic.com, Midway USA, riflescopes.com, or ebay ... to name a few. Look around PM and support the dealers on this site.

Good Luck,
-Ron

Last edited:
I have a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20x40 that I paid $336 for. I have a couple of Leupold and Burris scopes and I think that it is as good as the Leupold. It's the varmint model with a center dot. For the money I don't think you could get a better scope. Just my .02 cents.
bullpup44

Biggest bang for the buck has to be Swift. I have the 8-32X50 and the 6-18X44 and am very satisfied with them. Unbeatable warranty to. If anything goes wrong with the scope, take it to a dealer and get new one on the spot.
I know I will get some static on this but Simmons 44MAG is also a lot of bang for the buck. Built like a tank

I have 3 44mag scopes. nothing but good things about these.My $600 burris is in the shop after 20 rounds.Price isnt a indicator for a reliable scope.

Quote:
I have a 4.5x14x50 leupold VxIII and my son has a 4x14x50? B&L (bushnell). I would take his scope any day!

BLASPHEMY!!! Just kidding. But if the Bushnell looks better to you than the Leupold, I'll trade you one just like your son's for the Leupold. Just let me know exactly what model it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

My current scope of choice for pdogs is a Leupold Competition Series (VXII) 6-18X with 1/8 MOA dot reticle. I have 2 of these and prefer them to my 6-20X VXIII SF/LR with the Varminter reticle.

I have both mounted on .223 Rem's, a customized Mod 70 Heavy Varmint and a factory 700 VLS. I kill pdogs past 600 yards with both often enough to know it's not all luck. I've found with natural or "barrel heat induced" mirage, much more magnification isn't really practical on the eastern plains of Colorado.

Last time I checked, this scope was running $489 at Midway.

Mike

Yep, the Bushnell stuff is good too. I don't have any experience with the 4200, but I had a Bushnell Legend 4.5-15X on one of my .223's for almost 2 years. It functioned superbly, and the the optics were adequate for pdogs out to around the 500 yard mark. At $160, I'd consider the Bushnell Legend the best bang for the buck for a varmint scope.

Disclaimer...While repeatablity and precision of adjustment on my scope was very good (I adjust the scope for the shot and may adjust the elevation 200 times in a day on a pdog shoot), I never used this scope on a heavy recoiling rifle. I don't know how well it would hold up to one of the big boomers.

Mike

i pulled the trigger so to speak on my scope. i went to cabelas today into the bargin cave and found a 6.5-20x52 cabelas alaskan guide for $229 and then i asked for his best price and he went down to $180. it looked next to brand new but for some ring marks. i couldn't pass it up for the money. i got a couple more little things i went to check out and used my cash card promo for a free $50 gift card. thats my story and i'm sticking to it. now i need a set of high rise 30mm rings, looks like a use for my gift card. thanks for all your help. LaVern S. waseca, mn p.s. the pdogs will catch hell next year, i hope.

Back