Bobcats in Washington State

Jamie, I just read a very interesting study
done by the provincial Wlidlife Branch in British Columbia. From my experience, I think that most of the facts from this study
pertain to finding good bobcat habitat in Washington State.

"They have an incredible ability to evade detection," says biologist Clayton Apps. "In my four years of research, only on rare occasions did I actually see a bobcat..... I could be very close, probably within 20 feet, but wouldn't see it."

"22 bobcats were treed and radio-collared, then tracked by ground and air over a 4,200 square-kilometer study area.

"bobcats occupy a unique, and diminishing,ecological niche- specifically, low-elevation Douglas-fir groves in the southern Interior, where much of the falling
snow is intercepted by the forest canopy. The majority of cats consistently avoid timber stands less than 60 years old."

...winters are nonetheless a tough time for most animals...... With prey numbers at their lowest and deep snow hindering mobility, the bobcat spends nearly every waking hour finding food. When Apps did his fieldwork, from 1992 to 1995, East Kootenay bobcats were concentrating on red squirrels. They were found in the stomachs of more than half of 70 bobcat carcasses collected by hunters and trappers. The second most common food, surprisingly, was deer.
.... once watched a female bobcat carry a fawn almost twice its size to a secluded feeding place. The ungulate-eating bobcats examined by Apps, however, were mainly big males. We saw big male bobcats actually doing better in harsher winters, when ungulates are more vulnerable to predation," Apps recalls. "They were in very, very, good condition, whereas the smaller females and juveniles were totally emanciated."

"The bobcat is a stalker and the dense understory in southern BC's coniferous forests is well suited to its predatory methods."

I thought this study had some very interesting information. In SE Washington, we find the most bobcat sign in the tall timber (doug fir and grand fir) and where there is good ground cover under the forest canopy, and in the 2,000 to 4,000 elevations. We have had the best luck with snowshoe and fawn distress sounds.
Bob

Thank you Bob

The way I read the Regulations in Washington it is legal to hunt at night. Do you think I would have better luck at night or during the day?

Thanks

Jamie

We have some excellent bobcat hunting in the middle of the state in the sage brush country. Lots of miniture grand canyons with water and lots of good cover. I love night hunting for cats. Fred

Hey Turk how are you doing? I like to get out to my area alittle before sunset, get my gear situated and then hunt into the wind. I still believe most of my coyotes have come in downwind, but I don't want my scent spilling out in front of me and alerting everything I'm coming. I like to set up on a small rise, but still want cover to break up my outline. I like to use a good cover scent. I keep the spotlight with a red lense pointed above the horizon. I like to call almost non-stop for cats. I don't know how many times I have been scanning the surrounding and then there area set of red glowing eyes 10-15 yards away sitting there staring at me. I use only a shotgun at night. I like the jackrabbit calls. Hope this helps a bit. Maybe we can hook up together sometime. Talk to you later. Fred

Thanks Fred

Sounds good I would love to bag a bobcat.

We have plenty of coyotes down this way if you need a good place to hunt dogs. I farm down here and have lots of friends that need to get rid of coyotes.

Jamie

Bob
That was a great post on Bobcats and goes well with the terrain we have on the west side of the state. Went out hunting Monday by Granite Falls Wa. and found bobcat tracks so I gave it a try but had no luck. With what I have read here maybe I should try night hunting, I have a spotlight and red lens. Think I will try this weekend weather permitting. Hey if any of you guys want to Hookup and do a little critter hunting on your side I am always looking for a place to hunt. Drop me a note at varmintboy54@yahoo.com and we can kick it around
Later Mike

Back