Hunting Coyotes Using a Ladder

DonL

Hi folks! I've been hearing a little about hunting coyotes using a ladder. I tried to look up the subject in the archives and on the internet but found very little. Can anyone give me a website or article that I can read to get some good info (how to make a ladder stand, how to use it, tips). Thanks, I'd appreciate it. Don

Don L, the idea is to get high so you can see the in coming critters over the brush. If you're using something that kicks you better hold on to the ladder lol. One of them old V rigs like you had in the good old days works better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ya BillyTheKidd, but a Ladder is cheaper. LOL Seriously though I like to get new ideas to spice things up. I love wearing my ghillie suit! And,it couldn't hurt......I don't think. What do ya say, Danny!! Later, Don

"Hi folks! I've been hearing a little about hunting coyotes using a ladder"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...... Do ya chase em down and whack em with it? Or try to call em close enough to toss it at em? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Ok so I'm a wise a$$.
The fella I have read a lot about Tree stands hunting from has been Sleddog. I think he might be able to give you some insight on the value /safety of hunting off a ladder.In the area I hunt it's mostly tight hard wood and corn lots. I guess if I was to use a ladder It would have to be one I put up in advance and then went to like I would a tree stand for deer.
Me a ladder and a gun banging through the woods would light up an area pretty good I'm afraid.
I'll keep looking back to this thread and see if there are some folks that have tried this .
Climbing a ladder in a ghillie suit would be a challenge for an old fart like me I can tell ya that that!

Yeah a ladder is a little cheaper lol. I think that ladder trick was invented by some Arizona callers. My old friends Rich Higgins and Jay Nistetter could help you I'm sure. Just don't tell them you know me lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Overly Hacked, you can't be much older then Don L or Myself. Psssst....it's not falling off the ladder that's gonna hurt ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I dont use a ladder but I built me a pod. Its a three legged pod that has a seat on top and a gun rest that comes out the front. Just like the high chairs they use in Tx. I only built mine 5' tall. The seat turns 360 deg. I use this to give the sight advantage that comes with being 5' off the ground and it also gets my profile off the ground. I use it alot at night to, makes it very easy to run the light, my light hooks right on the gun rest and all I haft to do is work the seat around hands free and works great.

It also folds up for easy carry to the stand and dont weigh alot. I just tweaked this and that to were it is easy to get around with.

I use it in the brushy woods and strip mine fields here. Gets me up were I can see alot better. Believe it or not coyotes dont pay any attion to it at all. Or fox either. Makes turning for a shot alot easyer to. And gives you a great gun rest to shoot from. It also helps in hilly areas were if you set down you cant see over the rise, with the pod I can see well. I dont use it all the time but when I need it its great!

Brent

Rich thanks, Don L is an old friend of mine from back in the mid 70s. He was a member of the old Long Beach Chapter of the CVCA, he use to do all that crazy stuff lol. He is old like us now and needs a little help... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BillyTheKidd
Your right about it not being the "falling off " that's going to hurt me. Tt's the hitting the ground part I'm worried about!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sorry it took so long to get back on the board. Had to go out and do my weekly coyote harrassment. Photo Below!!!.
Rich, I might jut take you up on that offer. Thanks.
BillyTheKidd, as for you, what do you mean old!! LOL. Heck, you were taking SSI back when I knew you in the early 70's. . Anyway I get a nose bleed at anything over 4 ft off the ground so maybe I better thing this over again. Thanks for all the input. Don
2005_0108Nooner0015.jpg

My buddy and I went out the other day after the snow melted. It stays pretty muddy up here for a while after a snow. He has a 4ft portable chair that he uses. When we finished the stand his butt was in the mud. Took us 10 minutes to dig the chair out!!!! Don

Don, when they get the search function working again you need to go back about 4 years ago. There was a guy here called DesertFox that had a website all about building and using ladders for calling. He had a lot of other cool stuff on his site, too! He seems to have drifted away lately, but his posts were worth reading.

Michael McC is another staunch supporter of ladder hunting. He has a really neat one with a swivel seat, gun rest, coffee cup holder, cb antenna, and a small beer cooler, LOL! No, not really that exotic, but very functional. I think he even posted plans for it, once.

Back