Update Pic Added! My second Coyote

plumbob

Well #2 fell for me today! Today is my birthday, I turned 30 today. Today me and my boy took the motorcycle out for a ride, to check out some areas I had never hunted before. There was coyote poop just everywhere on the roads. It is a mixture of old fields, wood, and other Army training areas. Later I talked to my buddy and told him that we should go hunting this evening. So we decided to go about 6 this evening.

So we get out to the woods this evening, set up in the first spot and get ate up by the mosquitos. Stay there for about 5 minutes, can't stand it anymore and leave. We walk down the road, and find a spot where an old road goes through the woods. We set up on both sides, but I set up wrong. I was facing the wrong way, and kept hearing something behind me. We get up, and walk about 20 yards, a coyote takes off through the woods.

So we walk up the road to the top of the hill, and that coyote just starts barking his head off. I tell my buddy, we are busted, might as well leave. But then I thought, if I can keep him barking, Jake can sneak up on him. So I start out with a pup in distress on a THO open reed, Jake starts sneaking in. We go at it for about 20 minutes, him barking and I'm doing the distress thing. The coyote once lets out a short howl, not sure if it was a alarm or a what.

I'm not expecting anything to come to me the whole time. Out of the blue, here he comes, about 25 yards from me. It is a black coyote! I throw up the Mossberg 835, and the #4 Buck puts him on the ground! It was a young one, I know some don't like the idea. Probably not as smart as some others.

We go to a few more spots, I think we were to loud or something. I would start calling and coyotes would start barking their heads off. I'm going to try a sneakier approach next time. I do pretty good, but sometimes my buddy Jake is a little loud. Am I wrong to think we are busted when they bark?

It was a good birthday, killing my #2 coyote just topped it off! I'll post some pics on here tommorow. Thanks for reading.

Plumbob

blackcoyote3.jpg

Last edited:
Good Job, and Happy Birthday. It was a rush when I called in my first Coyote earlier this summer. I can't wait to get my first kill.

Karl

Happy Birthday.

Forget what anyone thinks. You caled in a black one! The only black coyote that I called in...I shot from my buddy's shooting lane. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The don't come around very often.

Pictures????

Tony

First, congrat's! I remember how excited you were last year when you got your first one. It'll get easier when the vegatation folds and you can see better in the woods. Also, they'll begin coming a little easier once you get a few under your belt. Now, you need to figure out why you're being busted on the stand so much. Gotta get that ironed out!

Thanks guys. I called one in a couple of weeks ago, but he came in to my right and I messed it up. Bow season opens up here the 15th, so I'll be taking a break from it for awhile. Probably get back into it in OCT., until gun season for deer opens up. Then it will be coyotes until turkey season. I hope it is a good year. Plumbob

Yeah GC I'm going to have to get that ironed out. You need to make a trip down here and get some of these. It is right up your alley, can only use a shotgun. Maybe I should ask you what is better.. #4 buck or 00 buck? I know you love seeing that question. Thanks Plumbob

00 Buck, yea that's hardly ever brought into a shotgun discussion is it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I forgot, happy B-Day. I've only been on the Fort a couple of times.

Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ya!!!

Glad to see one of the calls put some fur in front of you! Looks like you did your job pretty well too. Got to love those 835's. I shoot one now and again too. For the money, they are hard to beat.

Look for that coyote on my site!

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Plumbob,

Congratulations on #2. Barking coyotes might mean you're busted, and they might just be at the periphery of their own territory and unable/ unwilling to cross into the one where you're sitting. Approach is critical in any calling scenario. As was once told to me, "Stalk the stand". Be equally as quiet making your exit so called coyotes yet unseen don't learn to associate your presence with your actions. It will make a big difference in kill rates in locales you plan to hunt repeatedly thru the season.

I just picked up one of those 835's yesterday and am really looking forward to putting it to work on coons and coyote. And yes, for the money, they're a really nice scattergun. Got mine for $298. Ported, cammied, fiber optic sites, and ulti-full choke.

I also agree about 00 BS. Inside fifty yards, it's the essence of "spray and pray" all in one boom.

Actually I like to use the #4 buck. I patterned both of them, and with my gun at 40 yards, the OO buck leave some big holes in the pattern. I'm not figuring on getting much more of a longer shot than that. I've called in probably 8 coyotes, majority of them have been within 10 or 20 yards. They always sneak in and I miss them. Too excited I guess! I like the 835. It didn't cost alot of money, and it does a good job. I use it for turkey too. I shot some of those monster 3.5 inch shells for turkey, I only use 3 inch for coyotes. I've got a 870 too, but it is set up for deer hunting, at least while I am stationed here. You can only use a shotgun, muzzleloader, or rimfire on post. GC, they made it easier for civilians to hunt on post now, unless you live on post, you do not have to register a firearm with the Provost Marshall. Just buy a post 10.00 license, have your MO license and your good to go. So if you want to come down just let me know. If anyone is close and would like to hunt on post just let me know. I met RajnCajn here in the spring, and put him on some turkeys. Deer season is about here, and I'm going to hit it hard. I have never killed a buck in my life, and I really hope to get one this year. Growing up in WV, there was never a whole lot of bucks running around, or I just didn't see them. See ya Plumbob

Way to go Plumbob, and a blacky at that!! Most of us have only, and will only ever see pictures of a blacky! Good job, keep at it!

Back