Federal & Remington primers - safe primer tool

270yotekiller

I currently use the Lee auto-primer for primimg winchester and CCI primers but the manual doesn't list either federal or remington. Should i purchase a different primer tool to utilize federal/remington primers? which one RCBS?

Thanks

While my RCBS hand primer will feed and seat all primers safely; from the picture I just looked at in the Lee website, I'd say theirs will probably do the same. Brands may differ but the size and shape of the primers have to be the same in order to be interchangable.

i use the lee hand primer...i don't see what difference the brand of primer would make...just remember to switch out the primer tray for large or small primers...i use federal...cci..winchester primers...

I think 270yotekiller is concerned about that legalese that Lee prints saying only certain brands of primers should be used in their tool.

Total BS, the Lee tool seats all brands of primers quite well. Some lawyer just thought certain brands might be more likely to go off in the tray. I would bet his evidence for that would not hold up in court. He was probably trying to justify his billable hours by coming up with something he was telling Lee he was protecting them from.

Jack

i use the sinclair hand primer tool.there is no other primer tool that even comes close to the feel of this tool.they are little over 100.00 but well worth the money.

Last edited:
Should not be a problem 270. I wore out two Lee hand priming tools using Win, Rem, and Fed primers. Never used CCI's

Thanks for putting my worries to bed, i bought lotsa federal primers and have yet to try them out on my loads. But now im gonna start back at load development for my 22-250 and 270.

Sara and I have used the Lee priming tool for 18+ years with Federal and Rem primers. Never had a problem. Know a BR shooter from Maine who had a tray full of Federals go off in his Lee. He was lucky and didn't get hurt seriously.
Lee does advise against using Federal primers in their tool.

I think i'll buy an RCBS just to be safer than sorry, gives me a reason to go to hunting store lol. When i prime any cases using the Lee i always tip the primer so the rest of primers are well away from the feed chute before priming. Just seems like the safe thing to do plus its already habit for me to tip the rest of the little buggers out of chute before priming. I don't know if this would help in the event of a detonation.

270...i'm with ya..i don't dump say 100 primers in there & try to rapid feed my brass..i dump 10 at a time it might take a little longer but so what ?? you could probably do that with the large square tray on the rcbs & not have primers rolling around everywhere...

The Hornady tool is the only one I have that will prime the short mags. Otherwise, I use them interchangeably with any primer i am using.

Fast Ed

I like the RCBS primer better because if you load the caliber you have the shell holder for it. You don't have to buy another one for your primer tool. Now on the other hand in todays I'm going to get my lawyer world if the Lee Company had some safety problems you'd be reading about the law suits they just lost in the press.

Last edited:
I have loaded THOUSANDS of federal primers with the LEE. If it feels like you have to grip it to death to seat the primer,..it is MISALIGNED,...STOP NOW and fix that situation before you press it hard enough to mix the components and light her up.

Back