painting a stock, looking for that spider web effect

youngtrout

Hello, I just about ready to paint my plain old black stock to something a bit more appealing.

I really like the look of the spider web effect and was wondering if anyone out there has done this with good results,,,,,,and more to the point, how you accomplished it??

I've played around with a few techniques but nothing I'm pleased with,,,,,,so anyone done it,,,any pics? techniques you would like to share?

Krylon makes an aerosol web spray in several colors. I looked and looked but could not find it any anywhere. The ONLY place I ever saw it was on some web site but I had to order a case of it. I never did get any.

I've seen some pictures of some of the Krylon jobs that look OK, but the question of durability has been raised. The best results I've heard of have been with Polane-T. It is a catalized paint, and not cheap. You'll need automotive type spray equipment, compressor, air dryer, etc. to use the Polane. The web effect is done by turning the pressure to the gun way down, so the paint kinda spatters on top of your base coat. The going rates are around 85-100 bucks per stock. There are a couple guys in Kalifornia that do excellent work.
F1

You can get a spatter effect much easier with a piece of small cardboard and a can of spray paint. Hold the cardboard at an angle to the can. Spray the cardboard at about a 45 degree angle until enough paint builds up that it spatters off of the cardboard. This works really well with an air sprayer but a can should have enough pressure to get the same effect.

Check in your local R/C hobby supply store, model airplane paint usually will withstand most of the cleaning solvens and best result can be achieved with a airbrush or HVLP spray gun. Airbrush kits can be found in hobby stores for
about $40~50.
The spider web is accomplished by first praying on a darker base coat, let it dry, then slipover a net like material, walmart sell a laundry net/bag for $5 that is great for this type of project, fix this to the stock with thin rubber bands, kinda like a fishnet stocking over the leggs : ), you then shot on the 2nd color over the covered stock, remove the netting after its dry. If done right, the areas that's covered by the material will be left in the original base color and the 2nd color will give a lighter contrast to create the web effect.

Hello

The break up camo(its been called spider web) on my 17 is many strips of masking tape applied by hand, then sprayed with Krylon flat black, with an OD green and Desert sand base. It ain't pretty but it works. I got sick of looking at a truck gun that looked like a beat up truck gun, now I have a beat up truck gun with paint on it.
truck172.jpg

The splatter effect some previous posters mentioned looks awesome on some rifles but offers little in the way of camoflage/break-up. The snake skin effect is about the same, but looks better. IMHO.

Thanks guys, and thanks for the pic, this is my first "black" stock, I tend to be more drawn to the wood stocks, call me old fashion.

I just wanted something a bit nicer than the plain old black! I've been trying to research on the web but from the looks of it, I need to start doing some trial and error, I found the krylon web paint, maybe I'll give it a try,,,,,,,,,,,either way I'll spray a flat sealer coat over,,,duracoat most likely.

thanks

Trial and error is the only way to get what you want. Be sure to post pics when your done. Dont worry....its only paint...

Hi,I have found it at hobbie stores in the paint dep.Try it on a board first to get the hang of it.If you can't find it pm me.Thanks Clint.

Back