Loads for .204 with 40 gr Bergers?

outdoorsjoe222

I cant find any information for max and minimum loads with the 40 gr Bergers in my .204, I'm using H4895 powder. I wrote Hodgdons and they never wrote me back. Their site has loads for 35 and 50 gr bergers. Any help would be appreciated.

I was looking for Berger data and e-mailed Berger this morning and Walt just e-mailed me back with data for 4 bullets in 2 calibers. Go to the Berger website and click on faq I think its the very first ? gives you a link. Or try bergerltd@aol.com

+1, That's the load I've arrived at for the 40gr Berger....carefully worked up to as well. Out of the 22" barrel on my LVSF, this load averaged 3774 fps for 10 shots. My oal is 2.275 with CCI BR-4's and WW cases. This load grouped easily .5" for 5 shots. I have yet to actually shoot any critters with the 204 yet. You'll have to ask VA Foxhunter or Pruson(or others with experience) what kind of damage the 40gr Berger does on critters.
F1

Thanks, I have been on the Berger website a million times and never saw the FAQs. The leters FAQ are off screen, I clicked the unnamed tab and there it is. My gun shoots the 35 grains pretty nice, but I bought a box of 40's earlier and feel guilty just making them sit there.

Joe,
You're probably going to have to make a decision on which bullet to use at a time. Based on experience with my rifle, with the 35 grainers shooting 1.5" high at dead 12 o'clock, the 40grain bullets will print almost .5 below p.o.a. and .75 to the right. The Sierra 39 BK's and 35 Bergers group within .25 in elevation of each other, but the 40 Bergers are consistently 1.50-2.00 lower and always right, at least that's what's going on with my rifle, I hope yours does better! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I was hoping to be able to use both with the same sight in, but for different critters. Such is life....
F1

I have very good luck with VVN530 and 40 grain Bergers . I will look at my load data and get back to you if you like . It is my favorite coyote load with lots of bang flop kills. I have shot the 35 gr bergers and like the accuracy but never shot a coyote with one so I can't really comment on them. Later! Mark

The chart I recieved from Berger for their 40 grain bullets, says Bullet: 35 grain. They know I wanted 40 grain and they said its for 40 gr, but it says Bullet: 35 grain. Anyone else get a similar chart? The loads deffinately are different then the 35 grain chart I have seen. If my chart is right, many of you shoot a grain or 2 above the max load? Im new to reloading, but I'm assuming that as long your cases and primers look fine its OK to go up slowly above the max? THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT

I was surprised at the data Walt sent me. It was VERY conservative! His max. charges were mostly a couple grains under other published data. Don't interpolate anything though, start under max and work up.
I finally settled on my 204 load and did sight in this morning. With no wind, and before the mirage started to boil, I shot a couple of groups in the .2's.
The load was 28.0 H4895, BR-4 primer, WW case, @2.280 OAL

204Ruger005.jpg

F1

Nice group!! I tried the 40 gr with 27 gr of H4895 and the BR4 primers and got a nice group(three touching), then 27.4 grains spread the group out to an inch+. I stopped there figuring that if I used even more powder the group would get even worse, is that correct?? Or do you think it would possibly tighten back down?? I have a good shooting load with the 35 gr Bergers (under max), but I figure I may be better off with the 40s if they will group with a slightly above max load.

The only way to find out is try. Bump the powder in increments of .2 grain and watch for pressure signs. Check case head expansion as well. Primers, sticky bolt lift, and shiny marks on the headstamp aren't the only indicators of excess pressure. If at all possible, chrono your loads as you shoot your groups. When the speed stops going up incrementally as the powder is increased, you've probably gone past your safe max.
F1

28.0 grains of H4895 works great in my 26" barrel XR-100. I can shoot tiny groups but not as small as with the Blitzking bullets. I had to go with the Bergers for the terminal performance. I have only had three groundhogs run after hitting them with the Bergers. The BK's were not performing the way that I wanted. This load in my 20" pencil barrel Browning A-Bolt will keyhole. I use remington 7 1/2 primers and seat the bullets well off the lands. I want to try some of the 39 and 32 grain BK's on fox this fall. The 40 gr Bergers caused lots of damage to groundhogs.

Has anyone seen the difference between the 35 gr and 40 gr Bergers on an animal? VAFOxhunter do you know how bad your 40 gr tear up a fox? I imagine their wouldn't be much difference between the 35 and 40 on hide damage.

I'm guessing the 40 gr and 35 gr Bergers will tear a fox up. The 40's have made a mess of a bunch of groundhogs this summer. I don't have any experience with them on fox yet.

i have had no fur damage with the 35gr bergers on fox.but i am loading them lite 3700-3800 fps.most of the time cant find entry.i loaded them up this way for the fox and bobcats because i have them mounted.in my xr100 i am also able to shoot the 30 gr bergers.

Joe,
I finally drew the first blood with my 204 this afternoon. It was an average adult pasture poodle, the range around 160yds. The 40 Berger entered high on the right shoulder and exited forward of the left shoulder at the base of the neck. He dove into the hole! I had to reach in up to my armpit to grab it's tail to pull him out. It took several minutes to find the entrance wound, definitely fur friendly on entrance, but the exit hole was about the size of a quarter. A fox is a lightly constructed animal, I'd think you better learn to sew pretty well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
F1

Back