338-06 VS. 35 WHELEN????

CZ_IN_AK

Hey all,

Here's the deal, I live in Fairbanks AK and am looking for a good moose gun to say 150 yds. I have an extra 06'layin around and was thinking maybe a re-barrel to 338-06 or 35 whelen.

Which of these rounds would better suit my needs? I don't Reload yet, but if I need to I can pay my gunsmith to until I can start.

I've read good things about both rounds. Is one easier to reload for? Which is the most accurate? Whats a good barrel length for either?

And last of all, this project will be on a rem. m700 action. hopefully with a 22" or so light barrel. Maybe a 6.5 pound rifle.

THANKS...... CZ

For the most part there's very little difference between the two. The .35 will make a larger hole while the .338 will have a better SD (sectional density) so it'll have the ability to bore through hide and muscle better.

The .338 has a larger choice of bullets to load, but I don't think anyone can really say that one round is more accurate than the other.

If it was me, and I lived in Alaska, I think I would really lean towards the .35 Whelen. There's just something about big bears that makes me want really big bullets that make really big holes.

I think either one would be fine for your stated needs, but unless/until you reload you're going to be limited. Did Remington make at least a run of .35 Whelen ammo when they offered it in the 700 and 7600 a few years back? Seems like I remember they did. I'm pretty sure no one has factory loaded .338/06.

If they are still available, the old Speer 275 gr. .338 would make a great 150 yard load in the .338/06 and should have tremendous penetration if you needed to stop a bear.

I would think the .338/06 would be a little easier to reload than the .35 simply b/c it would have a more pronounced shoulder. I've never loaded for the .35 W, but have for the .358 WCF and it is a little critical b/c of the not-much-shoulder thing. Not a huge problem, though.

Conley offers factory ammo for both...

http://cpcartridge.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_72

http://cpcartridge.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_117

Weatherby and Nosler both offer ammo for the .338-06 A-Square, Nosler also offers 35 Whelen ammo..

http://www.weatherby.com/products/ammo.asp?prd_id=30

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=3/&s=115

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=3/&s=109

As well as A-Square factory ammo..

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/bro...ng=653***690***

Remington still offers 35 Whelen ammo in 2 weights.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=298674

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=613670

Unfortunately, Federal no longer offers their Whelen ammo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tim

After I fire form 30/06 cases to 35 caliber reloading after that is as simple as loading the 30/06.
I used to use cream of wheat to fire form but as I have some boxes of 158 grain pistol bullets of the same diameter I just use them with 2400 to fire form and they make great plinkers at the same time.
Both will be good rounds but the but I don't know of any plinking sized bullets for the 338.

I'm with nefj40. If I lived in Alaska I'd take the .35. Heck I just plain like it. Nice wide bullets and maybe something like a 225 Branes Triple shock. But since factory stuff is avalable, well, thats another great reason to make it into a 35.

I never shot or reloaded for either, but a fellow I know who has lots of exp with both says reloading for the .35 whelen can be a bit tricky because of it's "dinky shoulder".

You could also keep your eye out for a .350 rem mag!

CZ,
I have no experience with the 338-06 A-S, but I have plenty with the Whelen. If, as you stated, you're looking at ranges in the 150yd category, I'd definitely go with the Whelen. Actually, I'd stretch that out to the 250yd range. If you plan shots past 250 with any regularity, I'd opt for the 338. You're not going to get anywhere near the potential of the Whelen unless you reload.
If you do decide on the Whelen, make sure you screw on a barrel with a 1 in 14" twist. Remington, for whatever convoluted reason, insists on using a 1 in 16" on their factory rifles. That is fine for most of the stubbier 180-225 grain bullets, but the 1 in 16 leaves something to be desired when using high B.C. projectiles in the 225-250 category. Many 1 in 16's won't properly stabilize these heavier bullets, although some folks' rifles shoot them acceptably well, I've learned not to push my luck.
They're both great cartridges, either will work well.
Good luck,
F1

Last edited:
Either are good choices, but for me "I am a fan of the .338". Let me explain further. Both BC and SC are greater for the same type of projectile, velocities are equal in both. A-Square shows faster velocities for their .338 than factory loads from Remington 200 gr., Federal 225 gr., and Remington 250 gr. loads for the 35 Whelen, but you do not have the bullet choices in .35 cal. that you do with the .338. The following is from the book on factory ammo called;
"AMMO & Ballistics II" by Bob Forker. This book will give you the Taylor KO Index for an individual cartridge and bullet.

338 A-Square
Standard Barrel test length is 26 inch, 1/10 twist. Recoil factor=3.15

The A-Square 200 gr. Nosler Bal-Tip....3500 fps.
Energy...5440
Taylor KO Index...33.8

The A-Square 250 gr. Nosler Partition...3120 fps.
Energy...5403
Taylor KO Index...37.7

The A-Square 250 gr. Triad...................3120 fps.
Energy...5403
Taylor KO index...37.7

The 35 Whelen
Standard barrel test length, 24 inches, 1/12 twist. Relative Recoil Factor=2.64

Remington 200 gr. PSP....2675 fps.
Energy...3177
Taylor KO Index...27.3

Federal 225 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw...2600 fps.
Energy...3378
Taylor KO Index...29.8

Remington 250 gr. PSP....2400 fps.
Energy...3197
Taylor KO Index...30.6

I realize that A-Square is using their own pressures from their own labs for testing. I hope this helps make a decision easier for you. Check out the range of bullets for each, and keep in mind that the .357 handgun bullets are not recommended for the high velocities that a high powered rifle is capable of.....JOHN

"The A-Square 200 gr. Nosler Bal-Tip....3500 fps.
Energy...5440
Taylor KO Index...33.8

The A-Square 250 gr. Nosler Partition...3120 fps.
Energy...5403
Taylor KO Index...37.7

The A-Square 250 gr. Triad...................3120 fps.
Energy...5403
Taylor KO index...37.7"

I think Bob's proof reader must have been hung over the day these figures were checked! The 338 WM doesn't make those velocities!!!
The 338's do have better SD's and BC's than the 358's, but weight for weight the whelen will manage slightly higher velocity than the 338-06 with equal pressures. Theory says the higher SD's will penetrate better, given bullets of equal construction, but theory doesn't kill, bullets do. I'd challenge any moose to tell me which bullet killed him deader! I think Elmer might have had an opinion on this one....
F1

yote hunter are you refering to the 338 A-square or the... 338-06 A-square? those numbers seem a lil' bit fast.

thanks for all the response. although i think i'm more confused then ever! lol

CZ

Pass on both options, thankyou. Stick with the 30-06, load Partitions or TSX's and go spank a bull.

Last September, my camp had 4 Alaskan moose kills. My opinion is that it doesn't matter how big the gun is, the moose just take a while to realize they are dead.

One was a 300 win with 180 partition. One a 7 rem mag with 175 partition, one a 338 win mag with 250 partition, and the final bull a 270 win with a 150 partition. Oddly enough the little 270 dropped immediately with a heart shot.

If you have a hankering for a new gun, that's a different story. I'd go with the Whelen, but go with the AI modification. Load 250 grain partitions or 225 TSX's and that would be effective.

Last edited:
I was making a response to Flyrod1's posting of no experience with the 338 A-Square. The A-Square and the 338-06 are not based on the same case, the A-Square is based on the 378 Weatherby Magnum. The two are not even close.

As for being in Alaska bear country, I would still take the 338 over the 35 because of more choices of heavily constructed bullets in 338 (yes I know, the 35 has some heavy structured bullets, just not as many). The SC and BC on the same type of bullet is higher in the 338 also. Hense, the signature line about bore diameters. From this caliber, I would be upping to the 458 Lott, which can also shoot the 458 Winchester. Who needs anything else, even the Lott?....JOHN

Our original poster didn't ask about a bear gun though. Just a question of which is better for moose out to 150.

Still not having shot or loaded for or owned either, so I'm thinking either one would be more than enough on a moose, specially considering the kill stats that T BONE presented.

Feeling ornery today, sorry for being blunt.

Quote:
Our original poster didn't ask about a bear gun though. Just a question of which is better for moose out to 150.

Still not having shot or loaded for or owned either, so I'm thinking either one would be more than enough on a moose, specially considering the kill stats that T BONE presented.

Feeling ornery today, sorry for being blunt.

Semantics, isn't that the whole purpose of this site? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Longcruise,

Your right I did not mention bear's! I know(like any good alaskan) that there's only 1 type of true bear protection. And that is a 12ga. Thank you for keepin' da boys on subject:)

The reason I am interested in these calibers is because I 1) Have 2 06's
2) Don't have anything bigger
3) Don't like a whole lot of recoil in a light rifle
4) Will be using this cart. at short ranges
5) It would be somthing a lil' bit different than all my friends supper-dupper mags... and hopefully just as deadly!

Thanks for all the input thus far. Still not sure of my choice yet.

CZ

Sorry but I can't give you any info on the 35 Whelen that comes from experience. The .338-06 I can help you with.
Two of my cousin and I all built .338-06s on sporterized Va-24 Mauser actions with Adams & Bennett barrel in Boyd laminated JRS stocks. All three of them shoot great and because they are heavy enought do not have that much recoil.
One of my cousins shot a moose with his last year. I believe he had it loaded with Barnes Triple-Shocks.
I built my .338-06 (a.k.a. .338-06 A-Square)as a moose/black bear/elk rifle. I haven't drawn a moose permit yet or made my next trip to Co. yet and last year I shot my bear with my sporterized Yugo M48A, so I haven't shot anything with mine yet.
What I can tell you is that it's very easy to load for, accurate, a blast to shoot and my rifle isn't the least bit fussy what I feed it.
I start with new 30-06 brass and one pass through the sizing die gives you new, ready to load cases. Just make sure your sizing die has a tapered expander.
Mostly I've been shooting Winchester 225 grain Power Points, only because I picked up a couple hundred of them off the internet cheap. When they are gone I'll probably switch to Hornady Spire Points for general use & practice and Nosler Partitions for Swift A-Frames for the serious hunting.

Back