Using shotguns at night

Shooting a shotgun is like driving a car. You know the hood of the car is out there. You know where you are going. You don't have to look at the hood to get there. Same thing with shotgun shooting. The barrel and bead is out there, but if you'll concentrate on your target you'll kill more game.

Noooo, but I would if I could get drawn for a tag. I have a Remington 11-87 with a short barrel and Holo-Sight in case I ever get drawn. I also have some of the best Custom calls available.

11-87.jpg

Quote:
Shooting a shotgun is like driving a car. You know the hood of the car is out there. You know where you are going. You don't have to look at the hood to get there. Same thing with shotgun shooting. The barrel and bead is out there, but if you'll concentrate on your target you'll kill more game.

Weasel,
Respectfully... I agree when discussing birds or clay targets on the wing, jump shooting cottontails from brushpiles, and perhaps a small fraction of coyote hunting in extremely tight cover where a 25 yard shot is max. Chokes are open and except for the coyote you're throwing hundreds of shot at the target. It's instinctive shooting.

However, if you read my post regarding turkey/most predator hunting and tightly choked guns and small numbers of large shot, then ya gotta aim. More turkeys are missed because of not seeing the bead when shooting at that little golf ball size head than any other single reason. That's why twin beads first became popular on turkey getters. Then the optical sights and scopes.

I think you're having trouble believing your own statement. I can tell this because of that optical AIMING device bolted onto that tightly choked turkey gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I'm just saying... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I use a shotgun at night on foxes, a lot of the time with only a torch held under the barrels its easier with my SxS but works fine with the U/O I use full chokes and BB or SG shells and just sight along the barrels or rib.I tried those luminous front bead things a few years ago but they glow to much and make you night blind.

GC, Yours and pk-1's posts had me thinking of birds, clays and small game hunting when I posted the "hood of a car comment". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Of course I agree with ya about sights be it bead or other sight when turkey or predator hunting. Otherwise I wouldn't have the Holo-Sight on that gun. I have a 21" barrel on the gun at the moment and a Pattern Master choke that was made specifically for #4 buck on it right now. It shoots a pattern so tight that at very close range I'm liable to miss completely or tear a very big hole in an animal. Out at 30 yards + I think it'll be just the ticket? I just have to try it out on a few dozen animals to come to a reasonable conclusion.

Funny....I haven't noticed a difference. Point and shoot. I haven't spent all of my time shooting clays. Keeping an eye on the target is good advice for rifle shooting as well.

I usually don't pay attention, I guess. In fact, I took my varmint shotgun out last night and checked it... the bead is gone, and I don't know when it left, so, I guess I just point it.

Whatever works, works!!! If point-and-shoot suits some, then that's great. Good shooting. If like myself, others like red dots or scopes and that works, then great. I think we all have our preferences on this or that. The main thing is that we all use what we like, and it works for us. It's good to hear how others hunt and what suits them.

Good shooting to all.

I use a Tasco Zero Magnifacation dot sight. It has 5 or 6 diff size dots and 10 brightness settings. It was about $90.00 3 years ago. Not one of their cheapest sights, but it is a sweetheart on those moonless fox outings. Especially if you have a problem with lifting your head off the stock just before the shot. When I quit Trap shooting, I was AA with a 22 1/5 yd handicap. I know how easy it is to lift at the shot. I like the unlimited eye relief of the dot sight also. For obviuos reasons.

Not to brag but I was AA and 26 1/2 yards and I shot a lot. Usually at least 1000 rounds per week. Yes, I have killed turkeys in North Central Washington state. I'm a firm believer in instinct shooting but then I shot a lot. If you only use a shotgun on a limited basis then do watcha gotta do to make the kill. The shotgun scope for static game and night shooting makes good sense but I'd hate to try to line all that up on a fast moving target.

BTW....It's not a good idea to use a tight choke for #4 or 00 buckshot. You'll blow out the barrel. A modified cylinder is as tight as you should go. Turkey loads are generally 4's or 6's and will pass through the tight choke with no trouble.

Quote:
BTW....It's not a good idea to use a tight choke for #4 or 00 buckshot. You'll blow out the barrel. A modified cylinder is as tight as you should go. Turkey loads are generally 4's or 6's and will pass through the tight choke with no trouble.

You'll need to do some research before passing this advise along again. Specifically when discussing the often favored Number Four Buckshot loading. Not many experienced predator hunters are using 00 Buck. Use the SEARCH feature here with "shotguns" or try "chokes" and see what the vast majority of predator hunters in the know are using for chokes and loads. In fact, call a few choke manufacturers and ask for their recommendations for No. Four Buck and predator hunting and I think you'll be very surprised by what you discover. This ain't your daddy's scattergun anymore... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I'm a Kick's fan. I use a Kick's Gobblin' Thunder .660" for Federal No. Four Buck and it does an excellent job. Originally the Gobblin' Thunder was purchased for turkey hunting. It performed so well and I had such great dealings with Kick's when I called and asked for info, then ordered the choke through them, that I decided to purchase a BuckKicker for the No. Four Buck. I called them to order the BK choke and the gentleman I spoke with told me to give the GT a try. He said I probably would not be purchasing a BK after I shot the No. Four Buck through the .660" GT. He was right! That advise cost him a sale right then, but then again, I've often repeated this story and quite a few guys have bought Kick's chokes based on the performance and the honest dealings of the Kick's company. BTW, I've never had anyone contact me and say they were unhappy with the Kick's products or service.

I have to agree with Watson on this one. I cant remember a time when I really tried to aim a shotgun, no matter what I was after. I know bird and clays shooting is an instinctive motion, I guess that carries over to predators and Turkeys. Looking down the barrel as you would bird hunting has done the job out to 50 numerous times for me.

By the way for you guys using the mounts for your scopes and such on a shotgun. If you take the scope off, take the mount off! Jeff missed a coyote at 15,20, and 30 yards last year while using someone elses gun(usually a good shot no matter what he is holding). Turns out when using the mount for aiming you are aiming high and will end up with a very fast running coyote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif This may seem like a "no brainer", but when the action gets fast you arent looking down the barrel but it sure seems like it. We did several tests after that and when you just shoulder and shoot you end up feet high at 30 yards.

Everyone has different styles and techniques. What works for some may not work for others. Dead coyotes dont lie so if it works for you, keep doing it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Take care,

Todd

Jeff missed???? He'll be glad you told on him Todd. Really, I have told many guys that miss, "the only person who never missed is the one who's never shot". I had a guy miss 3 cats inside 30 yards. Then another guy missed a standing cat(in the dirt road) at 20, twice! When are ya'll heading west?

Yeah, this one would be hard to hide since its the first call on the blooper section this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It was very dramatic! Trust me I cant talk, I miss my fair share (you know 1 or 2 a decade.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) I dont know the exact dates, but I know we will be there before Thanksgiving. Skeet says the grass is really tall this year, tallest he has seen in a long time. We hunted some stuff last year they had to hop all the way in, so I can only imagine.

Take care,

Todd

While I can't give you any stories on me missing (I'm not saying I don't miss, just that I can't tell you about it!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can tell you that the grass is high again this year....maybe even moreso than last year. Hopefully I practiced shooting at those Springer Spaniel coyotes enough last year to do pretty good at timing their jumps this year! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

Back