Using shotguns at night

smallblockfuelie

Here's a question for you folks who use a shotgun at night. What do you do that enables you to see that front pin/bead on your shotgun so that you can line up with your target? Trijicon?

I've actualy had some problems with that due to holding a light below the gun. I started to wear an LED headlight with red LEDs and that worked good. Since then I switched to a gun mounted light and a red dot scope. That seems to work the best.
Tim

Night Vision method. I use a set of Night Vision goggles and have an IR laser mounted on the shotgun. I shoot from "the hip" & I set cross legged. I mention this because if you shoot from the hip while setting with your legs extended, you NEED to know where your toes are...... Even with white light I think that a gun mounted visible laser is an excellent way to be sure that the barrel is pointed where you are looking. Carl L.

Last edited:
I use a simmons red dot scope. if you do use this method practice because it may hit different when you are out at night.

I rigged up a small LED in a tube on the end of my barrel last year, it helped. This year I plan on buying a laserdot sight, which projects the red dot on the target. As HellCentroWolfer said about shooting from the hip, I want that option. When I have my shotgun they seem to be right on top of me when I dont have the gun shouldered.

Scope-mounted lights are still illegal here in PA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Scope-mounted lights are still illegal here in PA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Here in CA, too.

About using IR in CA. I penned a letter to the CA FAGs(Fish and Game) two years ago and was informed that the NVGs were okay but that IR riflescopes were not. Evidently the one is considered a sighting device but the NVGs are simply light enhancing devices. Hmmmmm... I have not checked to see if the wording has changed in the regs since then. Carl L.

Last edited:
All you need to do is replace the front bead on your shotgun with a fiber optic bead(truglo etc.) and it will glow nicely with the light at night. I've also seen people buy the little glow sticks that you break and shake up and tape them to the barrel against the front bead.

I too had a problem of seeing the sights of a shotgun while bobcat hunting in Texas a few years ago. I found it really difficult to get on target. Since then I have added a Tasco red dot scope to my Remington 11-87. Simply put, I love it. It holds zero and I'm able to adjust the dot to the pattern. That dot is nice for night hunting.

reddot11-87.jpg

6mm06,
Have you experienced any "washout" of your red dot while using a red lens hunting at night? The reason I'm asking is because I put an Aimpoint 9000SC on my turkey/predator scattergun (mossberg 835) this past spring and haven't tried using it at night yet.

Beagler,

I have not had a problem with washouts while using a red lens at night. My scope has several adjustments for brightness and I think that will take care of any washout. I have been out several times at night, using a red spot light and the red dot scope. No problems at all. It really helps get on target easy.

I could have taken a Bobcat in Texas a few years back if I would have had the red dot, but since I couldn't see the sights of my shotgun, I missed it. For me at least, the red dot is on that 11-87 to stay, to be used as my night hunting shotgun outfit.

Good Shooting.

Being an avid shotgunner I generally don't really look at the bead anymore. The best shooters get a shotgun to fit then look at the target instead of the gun. Both eyes open, BTW.

Quote:
Being an avid shotgunner I generally don't really look at the bead anymore. The best shooters get a shotgun to fit then look at the target instead of the gun. Both eyes open, BTW.

That's the way to do it when throwing several hundred no. 8's at quail or doves on the wing with an open choked gun. Try it with a tight choked shotgun shooting a softball size pattern at close ranges and you'll revise your method. Gun fit certainly counts. However, in much of turkey and predator hunting you AIM your small pattern at a specific small spot on the game. This compares closer to rifle shooting than wingshooting.

Back