Cold -rugged -deep wilderness hunting clothes ?

Mike Eversole

I'd like some opinions on the best clothes for hunting in cold mountainous possibly wet conditions.

I'm thinking wool is the way to go but wanted opinions on some of the the newer fleece and berber stuff also.

Also i see the cabelas and columbia wool at good prices are the mackinaw or sleeping indian worth the extra money?
Thanks in advance,Mike

What specifically do you mean by cold? Since you say "wet conditions", I assume your talking about rain?

For weather down to a little below zero Carhartt works well. It's water repellent and as warm as you want (insulated or non), and it's really tough stuff. For colder weather you can "layer" stuff underneath it, woolly bears, sweaters, etc. Be sure to get some good "wicking" underwear that will take your sweat away from your skin.

You should be able to find a good selection at most sporting goods or ranch supply stores or go here: http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/store...catalogId=10101

If you're talking bone chilling cold, wind, snow or freezing rain, dark skys and heavy dampness in the air... Carhartt is cotton and has no insulation value when wet and does not dry out easily. And cotton will soak and hold moisture. Fleece is very warm, breathes well, and dries quickly. However, it isn't the toughest material for exterior wear and soaks up water pretty quick when worn on the outside in wet conditions. In the past fleece didn't block wind very well either, though new tech wind barriers may have helped in that regard. I like fleece shirts and light sweaters for layering underneath a stronger outer garment. Fleece works fine in dry conditions and maybe light cover that won't snag it too much.

For the bad days, think Filson wool on the outside, with fleece undergarments, and polypro moisture wicking underwear against the skin. An inner sock with moisture wicking properties and SmartWool over the top as a second pair of socks will take good care of the feet. A Filson hat of the type with the buckle in front that will allow you to slide down flaps for ear protection, or, totally unbuckle it and drape the thing over the neck and shoulders for complete head/neck protection against wind, rain, snow, ect is great in foul weather. I like Filson wool, however, the Columbia Galletin Range stuff aren't terrible garments for the money. L.L. Bean has some decent wool. Cabela's wool whipcord pants are excellent. Cabela's also has some other decent wool garments. Wool is tough and wears like iron, blocks wind quite well when a tight weave is used, is naturally moisture resistant, and maintains insulation qualities even when soaking wet, and breathes fairly well. Downside? It can be heavy to wear. I think a heavy wool garment feels comforting when the weather is doing its best to ruin your hunt - or worse!

For serious weather wear a Utilikilt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

On a serious note, Coveralls with thinsulate lining. To be warmer all you gotta do is wear more clothing underneath them!

I went to wyoming around the 20th of oct. - east of the bighorn mountains. Big wet snowflakes wet my hunting clothes and i intend to get some -real- hunting clothes before i go back.
I've had some carhart coveralls - when they get wet they weigh a ton and the crouch will droop down to your knees.Cotton when wet will freeze you to death!
A wool kilt might just be the ticket for wyoming !!

I like to drive as far as possible w/a 4x4 then hike in where every tom-[beeep] and harry hasn't been.
It's the -or worse- that GC mentioned that crossed my mind that cold wet evening.
Wool looks like the perfect outer material but i wander about the dry-plus wool that cabelas offers?

I have ALOT of experience logging in some of the toughest conditions possible. Logging in Southeast Alaska. Hands down, the best clothing is wool. Forget about anything else for the best over all clothing.

Living in NH and hunting here and in Vermont, I can tell you a little about cold wet weather too. Not Alaska weather mind you, but we get some nasty stuff.

Wear wool.

There are several good sources. From the low end Codets from Canada, which isn't bad really, to Johnson Woolen Mills in Vermont (makers of the Benoit Deer Hunting Jacket) to Filson.

It's heavy, stinks when wet and is a pain to keep clean, but it will keep you warm when you need it too.

Al
THO Game Calls

If you can go back to a heated tent or camp every night to dry out wool is great. If you are going to be packed in and living out of a tent with no means of drying your clothes go with Gore-Tex and fleece. Don't wear any cotton at all.

I grew up wearing Filson wool and its great stuff that wears like iron and for pure cold weather its great. On those sleet/rainy days when wool gets wet its heavy and dries very slowly. I've heard the saying, "wool is warm when its wet" I've been in wet wool many times and it sure wasn't warm usless your continually hiking. Anymore for backpack hunts, I wear Gore-Tex fleece from Cabelas, its not as tough as wool, but it keeps me much drier and breathes better when hiking hard. I still use my wool for day hunts and on days when its not soaking wet. If forced to choose the Gore-tex lined fleece would be my pick.

I may be 30 years out of date, but we were supplied Carhartt (Nomex) gear on the North Slope oil rigs, and it's what I wore on the ranch on Kodiak too. It is water resistant (re-treat after washing) and it's very tough. A drill floor is a very wet and muddy environment and Carhartts worked well.

Wool and some of the other modern materials (I wear Goretex for skiing) are great, but they aren't very tough if you're shouldering your way through brush, etc. For rugged (mountainous), I want outerwear that won't rip or snag.

Mike-
Wool layers, fleece with a quality shell or similiar best for this environment IMO.
The wool etc is also quiet and that is a definite plus when hunting. Quality is the key here and it is better to have layers, not one heavy jacket etc. MH

We had a guy along on a cougar chase one time and he showed up wearing Carhartt bibs and coat. By noon he was completly soaked and you could tell he wasn't having much fun. He started to get the early stages of hypothermia and we had to get him out while he could still walk. I would never advise the use of Carhartt clothing for that type of hunting.

Whether you use wool or synthetics will depend the part of the world your hunting. In cold arid climates and in the wind wool is great. For beating rain, sleet, and heavy moisture the fleece and Gore-Tex will rule. Depending on what part of the country a guy is from you will get different answers on what is the best clothing to wear.

Leon, I'm going to respectfully disagree with you to a large extent regarding this. Many guides in colder regions will specify to NOT wear cotton. Carhartt's are tough work clothes and work quite well for hunting in dry conditions and milder temps. I wear them often for early season hunting in dry weather. They are noisy in brush however. Limbs slap against Carhartt's and sound like a .22 Short gun shot on crisp mornings. With the good news about milder temps and dry weather, in the wet weather the cotton duck soaks up moisture, gets heavy, and very cold. It doesn't dry out, and, transfers body heat right out away from the body.

Also, IMHO wool wears quite well, very well in fact. In my experience wool takes brush very well. Considerably better than fleece. Thus my preference for fleece as an under layering garmint. Many a wool mackinaw cruiser has been passed down to another generation of hunter after long faithful service to the original owner. Lot's of wool (generations) has been worn by timber and brush hunters in the northeast, upper midwest, and northwestern timber and brush country. And it's still a number one choice in those regions even with other technologies available.

I have wool pants that I have been using for over 40 years. Two pair (one is a little tight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). These two I use strictly for hunting and, believe me, they have had rough use. The one pair will get handed down to my son. The key is high quality with a TIGHT weave. I still have a couple pairs of the black wool long johns that I got back in 1969 or 1970, I don't remember which. Folks may like other fabrics which may be a little more comfortable, but in a survival situation with all things being equal, one with wool and the other with whatever else, the guy with wool has a much better chance of coming out on top. The other guy has a better chance of coming out to be placed in a hole.

BTW, top quality wool clothing is like anything else that you pay top dollar for. Take care of it and it will take care of you and last you a lifetime.

Last edited:
I have to respectfully disagree with that Greg. Like I stated before, wool is great and has its place, but for a wet and unable to dry enviroment the synthetics will keep me drier. On a two week hunt in Alaska, on the tundra with no wood for a fire I stayed reasonably dry despite the incredibly wet conditions wearing gore-tex. With wool on a hunt like that a guy would have been wet and miserable for the entire trip. For dry arid cold wool is great but once it gets wet your gonna suffer. I have Filson wool and the synthetic stuff and if the chips are down and I have to pick one type, the gore-tex synthetic stuff would be it.

Thats OK Lonny, each to his own. I base my opinion (and thats all it is) on several years of working in the wettest and most miserable conditions one can think of. There are parts of Southeast Alaska that get over 200 inches of cold rain and wet snow. In the years there (early 70's,Thorne Bay, Prince of Wales Island) I was always working outdoors (Choker setter, rigging slinger, chaser) and never once worn rain gear. Yeah, I would get soaking wet but never cold.

I spent 42 years of my life in MN and WI and 18 in WA hunting and trapping a large percentage of that 60 yrs. For 10 yrs trapping 6 months through the winter in MN. While in the upper mid west I thought wool was king but moveing to western WA I have gained a great respect for synthetics.

I will agree with Greg223 if I were logging out in the rain forest I'd be wearing wool, it is incredibly tough and sweat is a bigger problem that rain when your working,

AWS

cabelas has some outstanding hunting clothes for wet cold conditions mt50 is great stuff and I've used there driplus rain gear in alaska when it rained for a week straight stayed nice and dry

hello, i have taken to insulated rubber boots for snow & if i think if it's going to snow or rain i have a gortex "shell" parka & layer under that. i can always remove a layer if needed...i almost always use wool long johns..very spendy but they do work..

Back