Whats your favorite lure/bait for trapping fox???

Sardines in Oil!! Yummy..

When I was stationed in GA, we would trap fox on base with nothing but Sardines. We didn't have any shortage of foxes coming to the traps either.

We also would use Laffy Taffy (bannana flavored) the coons loved this stuff, and the best part is if you chew it first and get it soft, they can't get it off the trap unless the bear down on it pretty good and you know what happens then!!! Game over.

My favorite for dirt holes was a mouse. I would trap mice for a few months and freeze them. Then when going to a set I would put the frozen mouse in the hole, with a very small piece of the tail on the edge for a visual. This worked very well for me. By far my best bait for dirt hole sets.

The leggets K9 Xciter was good but I am cheap and didn't like paying for lure.

Chris

Trav,
You said you were going to use dirtholes, so this is what I do in that situation.
The urine/lure goes behind the trap on the backing. The fox has to cross your trap in order to get a good smell. Urine can be applied to an older dry fox turd at the set. In this situation, the turd is used a guide to direct the fox to step on the pan.
Your backing can be many things. A clump of grass, a bone, a chunk of wood, a raised bank, or a small animal skull. And these are just a few suggestions. Each trap location can mean a different type of backing.

The bait goes down in the hole and I usually plug the hole with a wad of grass. Lure and urine are the smells which get a fox to the trap location. Bait is what holds him there long enough to get caught.

Randy

Ditto what Randy said, that's exactly how i do it also.

I also rely on the prevailing wind. Keep the trap on the downwind side of your lures and baits.

JD

Back