Coyote guns

Well the first one here is my savage 243 with your average simmons 3x9 , i love this gun 400 yards is a cake walk with the rounds we are pushing . I absolutley love this rifle

My other rifle is kind of a neat story . It is a DPMS panther 24 bull special . Me and My Brother did a tractor restoration for Matt Hughes and Mark Hughes earlier this summer Matt is the 9 time UFC welterweight champion of the world. Anyways Matt and Mark are both big time shooters and love it . When we finishied the tractor Matt & Mark surprised me and my brother with these Matching Rifles. The Scope is a el cheapo center point 4-16x40 mil dot with illuminated reticles i picked up at wal-mart. it actually seems to be doing pretty good. Here is a pic i took out in the field yesturday with the ar and a central illinois
sunset

Ive pretty much got the guns i want . I am confident in my shots and know my equipment .

I hunt Central Illinois

cid__media1.jpg

Last edited:
My day in day out go to rifle is a semi-custom Ruger M77 stainless .17 remington,24" sporter contour barrel. It wears a Burris 3X9 scope. My second most used coyote rifle is a custom .19 Calhoon hornet, I have a Simmons Whitetail Classic 1.5X6 scope on it,as does two other of my coyote rifles. Im not fond of bull barrels on a calling rifle, I want light to medium weight in both rifle and barrel.

If I had the scratch, I'd opt for one of James Calhoons .19-.223s

I hunt southeastern Arizona, so most of my perferred calling is in very open to moderately open country.

Last edited:
1.Browning A-Bolt Hunter 25 WSSM, 22" Reg. Barrel, 6.5 Pounds Plus Scope (Simmons 3-9x40, soon Monarch 2.5-10x42 Milldot)and Ammo.
2.A Custom AR in .260 Rem., 25 WSSM, or a Ruger Compact Magnum necked down to .26 or .25 caliber. Definately an AR though.
3.Hills with junipers and sage. I call mountain clearings when I can before it snows too much; that's my favorite place to call.

1. Lately it has been my 700 BDL Varmaint Special in .223 with a 2.5-8 VX-III, currently rebuilding my Kimber 84M Varmint in 22-250 which will be getting the scope from the .223.

2. Eventualy will take my .223 and rebarel it with about a #5 in .17 Predator, and restock it in a stock yet to be determined.

3. Southeast Wyoming

Kimber 84M Classic 22-250. Leupold 4-12X50 on top. Sweet, lightweight rifle with a perfect feel and trigger.

My backup is a Sako Vixen rebarreled to 223 Ackley Improved with a Leupold 4-12X40. If I had the bucks I get an old Sako Forrester in 22-250 with the Leupold 4-12X50. I used to have one but I let it go when I moved to Alaska in '74. It was a great calling rifle. Light, fast and nimble.I'd probably have to put a new barrel on it. Either a Krieger or Lilja.

First
Savage 10FP in the 223 topped with a 4.5x14 44mm scope. This is my "go to the woods" gun for now, but the the bull barrel makes it too heavy. I will sell it soon and get a 243 in a sporter barrel (probably a Vanguard).

Second:
Some day I want a 257 Weatherby with a SS sporter barrel. I will have some kind of cool looking laminate stock, but also have a spare Hogue overmolded camo stock laying around to put on it. I will top it off with some kind of 6x18 44mm scope. Whenever I think about this gun I hear Judy Garland softly singing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." just like she did in The Wizard Of Oz. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Third:
I hunt it all. In Calif I can hunt the woods, the desert or any anywhere in between. Coyotes are in every county of the state.

The gun i usually hunt with is my tikka t3 lite .223. Most accurate gun i have ever shot out of the box. I love the fact that i can walk into any store and grab a box of ammo and not worry about accuracy.

My dream gun is a tikka t3 tactical in either .223 or .308. I got a chance to shoot one a few weeks ago. Who needs an ar when you can shoot 1/4 inch groups at a 100 yards out of the box. Wow.

I hunt alot of farm lands, open fields, and alot of wooded plublic land.

Right now mine is the only rifle I own currently, a Rem model 7 in .260 When I go out calling with a buddy of mine we have a choice of a .22-250, .22 hornet, or a .223 wssm. Unfortunately we might as well not bring a gun along as we havent seen anything yet. I am on vacation back home in NY, but I cant wait to get back to AK and see if I can get some wolves to come in! I have seen a lot more fox in alaska than in the area of NY I am in, I just hope I dont call in a grizzly...gotta keep it in open country so I can see them coming!

1) Hard to say. For the past 5-6 years, I've been using a Ruger M77, sporter barrel, in .22-250. It's a perfectly adequate coyote gun. However, I recently bought a Savage Predator Hunter in .223 and it'll probably be my favorite coyote gun. At least until I need $$$ and sell it and go back the Ruger (which was a gift from my uncle).

2) I really don't have a dream gun. Over the past 25 years, I've shot a Rem 788 in .22-250, Rem 700 in FVSS in .223, the Ruger (.22-250), and now the Predator Hunter (.223) and all of them did everything I asked of them. I'm pretty easy to please. I can tell you for certain that I don't like .243 for coyotes.

3) northern New Mexico pinyon/juniper edges. I like to call 'em in and rarely take shots of > 150 yards. I setup specifically for that kind of shot.

1) Savage 110 .243 topped with a 3-9 pentax gameseeker.
2) A laser! wouldn't have to worry about doping the wind or bullet drop. Just point at what you wanted to shoot and pull the trigger... All joking aside, I'd love to own a nice light weight accurate AR. I'm thinking a dtech in .223 with a nice nikon monarch scope and a "viper" paint job.
3) I hunt the sagebrush flats to mountain meadows.

1.I usually carry my Daewoo K-2 .223 with a 4x TC scope. This is my daytime set up. Long shots in certain stands I've used my Ruger No. 1V 22-250. And at night usually a Remington 870 with buck shot.
2. Dream gun- hell how about the ability to call in an air strike?
3. The fields and forests and the occasional railroad tracks of Midcoast Maine... Shots from 7 feet to 350-400 yards...

I have 4 that see the most use.I don't know if I could pick a favorite, as I always tend to select according to what I'm expecting in terrain,set-ups and if I have a better chance of calling in fox too. I like the 17 as I save hides and hate to sew, I like the AR for night hunts, I like the 22-250 for long shots, and I like the 870 for heavy cover.I'm such a girl when it comes to making up my mind,lol. If I HAD to pick a fav, the nod would probably be for my 17 rem, but sometimes I just grab one that looks lonely.

1. Rem. 700; 17 rem 3-9 nikon buckmaster
2. Colt AR-15; 223 2-7 leuopold
3. NEF ultra fluted varmint; 22-250 6-18 bushnell trophy
4. Rem. 870; 3" mag

1) Browning A-Bolt Varmint 243 WSSM / Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44AO w/ target turrets / Leupold mounts

2) Browning M-1000 Eclispe 270 WSM w/ Holland Quick Discharge muzzla brake / Nikon X 4-16x50SF w/ mili-dot / Badger mounts

3) pine thickets, some hardwoods, and power lines

1) Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker in .270WSM. It wears a 3-9x40 Leupold VX-II. All together, it weighs right at 7.5lbs.

2) A DTech of some sort in .204.

3) From miles of open, rolling hills to brushy creeks. Oklahoma has it all.

Last edited:
My current "in the truck all the time" rifle is the Tikka T3 22/250. In reality, I should be a shotgun only hunter. Seems to be the choice of the really successful PA yoters I know. But, alas, I am a rifleman. The Tikka served me well in N.M. from 25 to 75 yards, and will do the same here need be.

My ideal rifle will be (as soon as I get some bills caught up)a custom barreled 22/250 AI with a fast twist. I want to be shooting 60 to 70gr bullets, at ample velocity. It will be scoped with a Leupy custom shop 3.5x - 10x 50mm with the CPC reticle. I have always loved the CPC. Fine enough in the middle for load development, heavy enough at the edges to see in dim light. It will be stocked in one of the better grade of aftermarket stocks, with an aluminum bedding block. I am leaning toward a McMillan at the moment.This will be one of those rifles that feels like an old friend from the first trigger squeeze.

I hunt here in the east of course. Old strip mines, field edges, and hardwoods. We have Mtn Laurel and red brush at our disposal in quantity also. But,the point is moot. Not much shooting going on here.A feller could carry a ball bat as well as a rifle. Now, this dream rifle will be accompanying me on yearly trips to various points of calling interest. On my "to do" list are Oklahoma, Texas, South Dakota,Canada, and New Mexico again. I am a coyote hunter, and coyote hunting is what I will be doing. Being stuck in PA is just a minor inconveniance. A plane ticket and a cheap motel is all I need.

Remington VLS 243 with an added H-S Precision Stock, a Timney Trigger, and topped with a Leupold VX111 Tactical 4.5x14 scope. My second, a Remington LTR 223 topped with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14 scope.

My#1 bedded & free floated Ruger M77 varmint/timney trigger /leupold Var3 6.5 x20 on a Richards laminated thumbhole stock/harris bipod. 16lbs of pure delight consistently sub .5moa good for about 450 yds if I can judge the windage with a 52 gr bthp @ 3760 fps

My next: 25-06 Rem action 26" lija heavy barrel/leupold VXL 6x20x56 on a Richards thumbhole for the 500yd shots stopping power

lots of open space

1) My #1 is a RRA 18" EOP w/ Burris 3-9 Bplex, on those rare occasions the wind is howling the Rem 700 SPS in .243 Win gets the nod

2) My #1 2-3 pounds lighter (summer project)

3)I mainly hunt open meadows and high "desert" sagebrush

1. Custom 22-250, mauser action, douglas barrel, Mossberg 835 ulti mag w/Kicks choke.

2. I'd probably build a high end upper for one of my ARs.

3. Mostly open, grass fields,wheat fields, sage, some Ponderosas.

I'm a long-range handgun guy, and use my 17 Fireball XP the most.

I'll soon be getting my ideal sniping handgun soon. A McGowen specialty pistol in 22-250 with an 8 twist to stablize the 80 A-Max. The scope will be the true custom part. It'll be a Leup. 24X BR-D converted by Wally Siebert to long eye relief, with a resulting power of about 16. It'll have a custom TK Lee reticle with 6-3 MOA dots vertical (2 above the x-hair axis), and 1 dot either side of the uppermost dot @ 4 MOA, then 5 MOA below that either side of vertical axis every other dot down. An elevation turret will be installed to play around with tgts. further than reticle will take me. Probably Tuckerized to ensure accurate turret clicks.

I hunt typical prairie, and bluffs.

Back