Coyote guns

Narrow it down to 1??? I can cut it down to 3, maybe 4.
Current most used:
NEF Ultra varmint fluted;bushnell 6-18x40 in 22-250
Rem. 700 bdl; nikon 3-9x40 in 17 rem.
Colt AR 15 comp H-bar; nikon 3-9x40 in 223
Night hunting: the colt, or Rem 870 sp with whatever 3" heavishot loads I have handy

Dream Gun: I doubt I'll purchase another weapon devoted exclusively to varmints, until 'yote pelts hit an avg. of $50 again, lol

1. Go to gun has been my Bushy with either my Varminter upper & Burris 4.5-14x42 (day) or 16" carry handle 6x45 with Aimpoint Comp M2.
2. Dtech just made me my dream gun...
Dtech20001.jpg

20" Oly SUM 1:8"twist, fluted, compensated & finished with Norrell's Moly Black
4 rail gas block for Surefire attachment
Hogue overmolded foregrip(to keep my gloves from stickin' when its -10F out in Feb)
LaRue Tactical EER 1" mount holding a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40 w/Varmint Hunter's Reticle
Ace Skeleton Stock & JP drop in single stage trigger(coming soon)

3. I hunt in the big woods(Catskills/Dacks) or in woodlots surrounding farmland.

1. Savage 10 in 243 soon to be 7mm-08
2. Custom Remington LV SF in 223AI with a Nightforce 2.5- 10x24 NXS
3. I hunt high desert, which can be heavy pines to wide open velleys.

Last edited:
Hey Steve,

Yeah, it sure took em long enough. It took me the better part of a year to get em to do it. I didnt even care about the name I just wanted a rifle that was a little lighter that would appeal more to predator hunters. Their biggest market is bench rest shooters so weight has never been an issue. After it was all said and done Mike(owner) gave me a call and asked what I wanted to name it. I couldnt think of anything better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. They do put out a good product and they will listen to the consumer. Last time I talked with him he said they were selling like hot cakes. Still wish he would offer fluting, but I am happy with what they did. Fluting is still in the works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Take care,

Todd

First: My go to gun is a Browning Lightweight BAR 243 Stalker with a Bell and Carlson camo stock topped with a Bushnell 3-9 Elite 3200 scope with Firefly Reticle. With scope etc. I think it's right at 8lbs.

Second: IMO the above BAR is the ultimate but for the sake of something different I just picked up a Bushmaster Predator but haven't wrung it out yet.

Third: I hunt mostly the piney woods of NW Florida but try to take a western trip or two each year.

$bob$

1st: Sako Vixen in 222remmag with a 3.5x10x50 Redfield Illuminator on it, though I use my Ruger M77 Hornet quite a bit on small land parcels.

2nd: my Sako with a Zeiss scope on it.

3rd: I hunt eastern Colorado most of the time, with occasional forays into the mountains.

The time for me to get after coyotes is here!

My favorite gun is my 700 remington LTR (light tactical rifle) 20" barrel, chambered in .308 winchester. Leupold Mark IV rings and one piece base. Leupold Mark IV 3.5x10x40 M3 dials w/ BDC and illuminated mil dot reticle. Shillen Trigger. 168gr Hornandy A-max. Its not flat but its accurate and with the M3 cams I am good up to about 800 but have not tried it past 400. Best group shot measured .1833 MOA and consistantly shoots under 1/2 inch groups.

My dream rifle would probably be too close to this one to merit the purchase. I like the Tango by tac ops, and the Ed Brown compact varmint.

I hunt in all kinds of terrain in Texas. Currently building a Remington VSSF2 in a 22-250. Fully accurized by SG&Y in Roanoke TX. I will give an update on it when I get it back. It would not shoot under an inch out of the box.

1. These are my two go to guns depending on what I am hunting. Bushmaster Varminter. For the open area longer shots.
100_0297.jpg

AR 17
100_0254.jpg

2. shown above

3. Hunt alot in the sandhills of Nebraska and in heavily covered cedar canyons for bobcat.

Last edited:
1. Hello I"m new to the site and I got to say this plase is great. I have been callin since I was a kid now that I"m 30 it dont seem any easier than it was then. But I shoot a bushmaster 20in with a 3x9 it works great.

2. The bushmaster varmint would be the one I would like to have

3.Open filds and cerdars and rocky canyons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Savage 16FXP3. 300WSM about 6.75 lbs.
sighted in at 2" high at 200 yds.
Slight overkill but personally I don't want a fine hide, I want a fine death.
Hunt open farmland (ours) and most shots are well over 300 yds.
I really really like this rifle but would really like a black gun in .223.

well the only rofles i have are an old single shot 22lr or my 7mm rem mag i usually take the 7m with me. i know it is way too much but its all i got for now.
hunt mostly in the desert area of utah and some hills,
dream gun not too sure probally a savage in a 22-250 or a 223

1)Rem 22-250 VSSF Nikon 3x10x50 illuminated
2)Rem 6mm AI Hart Barrel w/ Nikon 6.5x20x44 illuminated being built right now.
3) ANYWHERE IT TEXAS.

Hello everybody, new guy here.
1)I have 2 rifles I use: Marlin .17HMR with a bull barrel and BSA scope. The second is my Savage .223 with bull barrel, Simmons 3x9x40 scope, weighs ~10lbs. I use this one when the wife or kids aren't deer hunting with it.
2)Would like to have any AR (in .223).
3)I hunt brushy country(mine)and timber-national forests in East Texas

I would opt for my sako 243 but would upgrade the scope from my present Bushnell 6X18 to a Burris 4X12 Euro diamond 30 mm.! no need for me to use a A.O. on a coyote scope .

Last edited:
Ah let me see here...

1st: DPMS AR-15 in .223 with a 16inch sst barrel topped with a Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff scope with a BDC reticle.
DSC00911.jpg

2nd: My Encore in .223 with a 26 inch heavy barrel topped with a Bushnell 3-9x50 scope.
January92005013.jpg

3rd: I hunt North Central Oklahoma sometimes open and sometimes where it is a little bushy.

Savage Mod 12 FVSS Camo synthetic stock in 204 Ruger. Topped with Bushnell Elite 4200 4x16x50mm with 4in sunshades. Shooters ridge bi-bod.

I'm shooting my (varmint) dream gun.

Brushy

1. Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .243. Have a Leupold Mark 4 3-9X40 Mil Dot on it.

2. The AR-15 .204 made by Les Baer with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X50 Mil. Dot.

3. Rolling hills of south central Nebraska. Some places very open, and some places covered in cedar trees.

I use a Ruger M77 mk2 heavy target in 22-250. It weighs 11 pounds(I think)it's topped with a Burris 4.5X14 with B-ples reticle and carries a harris adjustable bypod.

Dream rifle? I'd have to mull that one over but I can tell you it'd be really light and it would be a custom job.

I hunt open wheat fields in the west. Shots are on the average 150-300 yards.

1. Savage 111FP in .243

2. Short-barrelled flattop AR in either .223 or .204 with telescoping stock and variable scope

3. Eastern Oregon, mostly open with some sagebrush

Last edited:
Back