Coyote guns

1. Two guns share the wealth of coyote hunting. A reminton 308 win shooting 150gr full metal jackets with 3-9 tasco scope weighs approx 5 pounds, second, remington 700 vls, heavy barrel, with 8x32x44 scope weight 10lbs

2 Rock river arms 223 AR-15 carbon fiber stock, stainless steel bull barrel, and leupold 4.5x14 vx-l scope with harris bipod

3. Open sand hills, sage brush, occasional rocky mountains, and river bottoms

1 My go to rifle is my AR-10 .308 20" stainless heavy barrel, realtree snow camo.

2 dream gun would be a the same gun with a carbon fiber wraped barrel in either, 243 or 260 remington.

3 Woodlots with smaller agri fields near by, and marshy river bottoms
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

#1. Probably the Ruger MKII .22-250 standard rifle topped with a 3200 4x12x40AO. Very accurate and the dogs just seem to show up when I carry this one. Haven't had that luck with some of the others. That might be a thread someone should start! Maybe we can find the coyotes choice
#2. Pobably a Charlie Sisk built M70 .257 Bob, McMillan Super Grade, topped with a VXIII 2.5-8. For lots more than just predators. $1000-1300 wouldn't touch it!
#3 S.E. Kansas, River bottoms, brushy rolling pastures, and cropland.

Last edited:
1. Savage 12FV .223 with a Simmons 4-12x44 scope. I like the weight of the bull barrel.

2. A Bushmaster flat top H-bar or some sort, but I live in CA so that's not gonna happen.

3. Mostly rolling oak hills and desert sage, some mountain valleys.

UT09ss.jpg

1. CZ var. 527 in .17Rem a little over 8lbs with scope and sling i think.Nikon 4-16

2. .19 Badger from James Calhoon. Built on a Cz 527 action with a light sporter weight Pac-Nor barrel, and H-S Precision Kevlar stock. With the Bell & Carlson dip, in Natural Camo. Burris (high end) 3-9 or 4-12 Ill., or one of the leupold Ill. scopes.

3. East, the Pocono's . Hills and timber, Dairy farms, and swamps.

1. For 40yrs Rem 600 in .223Rem K-3 Weaver, replaced last year with Savage 11 .223Rem with V-3 Weaver.

2. Rem 600 Pac-Nor SS, 22", 3 groove, #1 contour,in 6x45mm, synthetic stock and Weaver V-3. Just finished this summer.

3. Heavey sage, open forest, clearcuts and river bottoms.

AWS

This is my first post on this sight! This will also be my first year hunting coyotes.

1- Remington model 700 BDL 223 Rem. right now it has a Simmons 3-10x44mm (44 mag) scope on it. I'm going to put a Leupold VX-II 4-12x40mm or 6-18x40mm scope on it before hunting season starts. I also have a Rock River Arms AR-15. I don't have that set up the way I want it so I probably won't use it this year. Once I have then set up the way I want them I'll use the model 700 for my more open hunting and my AR for my close range hunting.

2- If I could afford it I would have Hart Rifle Barrel's put a nice heavy barrel on my above mentioned model 700. I'd stay with 223 Rem. I also like the stock that Remington uses on their new XR-100 Rangemaster, I would like the same stock on my rifle. I'd use the same Leupold scope that I'm going to be putting on my model 700.

Or and more likely would be either a Remington XR-100 Rangemaster or a VLS in 223 Rem.

3- We'll be hunting all types of area's. From thick wooded and brushy area's to open area's. We hunt in Central New York!

Hey Todd, that is a nice rifle. I have been shooting one like that for about 15 or 16 yrs now. Amazing how long it takes mfg'ers to pick up on something uh! LOL

(1) Tikka T3 Lite .223 Rem with 4-15X Bushnell (old style, with Japanese optics). About 7 lbs.

(2) Custom Dtech AR in 204 or maybe 243WSSM (neither of which (rifle or the 243WSSM caliber) are legal for yotes here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

(3) Northeastern boreal forest, open bogs and barrens, rolling hills, thick spruce timber.

1. Colt AR 15 short bull barrel 223 with 3X9X50 Leopold had a Harris Bipod on it but I like the shooting sticks better.

2. Same gun as above but with a Shephard scope on it and a Flash hider My AR does not have a Flash hider and I constantly have to be careful of getting dirt in the barrel when I sit down.

3. All types terrain in Texas every set up is different.

ruger 77 mark 2 in .223 w/konus 3x10x44 w/illu. glass reticle and/or shotgun at night. Wt. 7to8 lbs

maybe a over/under shotgun/rifle.

hardwoods and farmland in eastern Pa.

#1. 20" Colt Match HB flattop, Tasco 4-12X40
critrgitr31.jpg

#2. Can't think of a better rifle, maybe better scope if I could make myself do it.

#3. Ag fields surrounded by woods.

#1 Tikka Model 595 in 22-250, topped with a Bushnell Elite 4200, 4-16x40

#2 Sako 75 ss/laminate in 22-250 topped with a Swarovski 6-24x50

#3 Open farmland/pastures, bush, river bottoms, coulee's of which are usually snow covered from Dec. to mid March.

I just picked up my Weatherby Vanguard in .243 Win. It's going to have to be my current and dream gun. Wife says so.

@#%$^* hurricane/depression Ernesto blowing through today, & I can't even take it out to sight it in.

Had to tell someone

lew

BTW thanks for the advise on my question post earlier.

I shoot a Savage 110 w/ 24inch standard barrel, synthetic stock in .243. I have hunted everything from prairie dogs to elk with it. It is great for coyotes because because it is light and I can handle it fast (I like to take long shots on the range but would rather shoot coyotes inside 100 yrds) and the .243 bucks the wind good. Also, I could afford it as a college student.

I would get an AR, not sure just what. I have had as many as 9 coyotes come in at one time. I can throw a bolt pretty fast, but only so fast.

Mostly, SW New Mexico, occasionally West Texas and NW Colorado.

#1 Stevens 200 .223, with 3x9x40 8pt Simmons scope, and harris bipod. Pencil barrel and wieghts 6.5lbs.

#2 Bushmaster Varmener .223 with silencer and dynamic finsih camo true leaf (entire rifle), detachable 4x12x40 leupold scope, and detachable night vision scope.

#3 Mostly hardwood ridges and thickets, small fields surrounded by woods.

Pre Garcia Sako Forester 22-250 with a Leupold VXIII 3-9 scope.

Got a new Remington VLS with a Leupold 6.5-20 with the new Varmint Hunter's reticle. It shot terrible right out of the box but with some pillar bedding and Accraglass it's doing better. This is strictly a night gun. I've had it about 6 weeks and have killed 7 coyotes with it. The reticle is a little too fine and hard to pick up when illuminating the eyes prior to the burn. I wouldn't make the choice of the Remington or that particular reticle again.

I'm in the process of purchasing a pre Garcia Sako Vixen in a 222 mag. A sweet shooting gun. I'll put a 4-12 with a duplex crosshair on it.

1. Current go to rifle is a Model 77 SS Ultralight (with a trigger job) in .204, scoped with a Mueller 3-10x44. Shoots MOA groups with 32gr Vmax and 35gr Bergers, even with the 20" pencil barrel. Love the rifle, but not certain about the caliber...very flat shooting & low recoil, but not completely satisfied with knockdown power (at least with the 32gr Vmax's). This fall we'll see what the Berger's do.

2. Probably a Bushmaster Varminter with a Shephard scope

3. Rolling prairie pasture with grown up fence rows...shots mostly under 100 yds., but possible out to 400 or 500.

1. 6.5 x 55 swede (1943 Husquvarna Mauser) w/ Scout mounted scope 7 lb.

2. Just got my dream varmint/predator gun: .204 Ruger Howa 1500, SS bull barrell & laminated Boyd thumbhole stock, Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12 x 40 scope. Weight is about 10 lb. It is beautiful, shoots everything well and even my wife likes it!

3. Hunt mostly brushy deserts some semi open ponderosa pine & juniper forests.

Back