Coyote guns

NM Leon

For my own nefarious purposes, I'd like to ask you guys to participate in a little survey.

First

I'd like to know what rifle (not shotgun) you guys actually use the most for coyote hunting. I know many of us use different guns for different circumstances (or just because) but I'm looking for the one you take into the field the most often for coyotes.

Please give the brand, caliber, whether it's got a bull barrel, and how heavy it is (if you know).

Second

What would your "dream gun" be if you had an extra $1000-$1300 dollars to "blow" on a coyote specific rig. Again, please be specific.

Third

What kind of country do you hunt in the most? Open, brushy, heavy timber? East, midwest, west?

Thanks for participating.

Leon

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Day: Remington 700 VLS bull barrel (very heavy @10lbs) in .243 w/ Ziess Conquest 6-20X50

Night: Bushmaster V-Match, 20" .223 w/ Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40 illuminated rectial.

2. Custom AR in .243WSSM or 25-06WSSM

3. Mainly open brush country of South Texas

Last edited:
Good post Leon.

1) I put together a "go-to" rifle that fits "my style" of calling. It's a TC Contender carbine with a custom (thicker walled, but not bull) barrel in .223 Ackley Improved. It's topped with a Leupold. I wanted something lightweight, easy to swing on a running coyote, and flat accurate. I'll never go back to a long gun as my calling rifle, after this.

2) The same rifle I mentioned, but with a thumbhole stock.

3) I call in all types of terrain. Open field, rolling prarie, wooded, hills, high sage, etc... Quite a few states. Shots are rarely over 100 yards, most are around 40-50 yards.

Tony

1. Howa M1500 Thumbhole Varm. Supreme in 22-250, laminated blue. Heavy Bull Barrel. Burris Sig Select 4X16X44.

2. I would have one custom made in something small like .204 or .17rem, with a thumbhole stock, big fat forend and the fattest fluted barrel I could get. The stock would be camo laminated wood, and have a rem 700 action.

3. I hunt the So. Cal Deserts. so I like 'em fast and flat.

1) Ruger 77 mark II in .223 Rem standard barrel. Not sure how heavy it is but would guess around 10 lbs with scope and hardware.

2) With two young children at home and one still in diapers a Handi-Rifle qualifies as a Dream Gun. Not sure how much they are running right now but I would like to get a Weatherby Mark V. Never had one but have always wanted one. Would look at .257 Weatherby Mag and why not I don't save the fur anyway.

3) Hunting is done in Southern Idaho, Eastern Oregon, and Northern Nevada. Sagebrush to Juniper with it all being rocky and semi canyonlands. Would qualify as "Open" country from a photo but sitting there the shots allowed that I normally have are close in.

I do all my coyote hunting with my son who shoots a bushmaster v match 20inch Hbar with a sightron 6x24 shooting 60gr sierra varminters or 60gr vmax. My go to has been my remington 700 in 22-243 hart barrel leupold 6x20 shooting 80gr sierra match BTHP until this last spring I bought a bushmaster predator with a nikon 6x20 manarch on it. I have been shooting the same loads as son and I will be shooting the bushmaster this fall until I have one hang up out there at 400yrds and am unable to hit him them I will go back to the remington and probably still need to make excuses.I really enjoy shooting the ARs,they are alot of fun. My fingers are aways sore from trimming all that brass.
Boone

1. AR15-Olympic Arms SUM 20" upper 1-10" twist sitting on top of a Superior Brand lower with CMC trigger and RR lower parts kit with a Burris 4.5x14 FFII B-Plex. Weight is 12 pounds with a sling and 10 round mag full of 223's with 53gr. Sierra HP match reloads that I came up with.

2. Already got it, #1. Would like to send it to Dtech and have it fluted and a porting job of his done on it.

3. Northeast Missouri. Everything from large rowcrop fields with shots as far as you can see, i.e. .25-.5 miles, to brushy woodlots that you can't shoot more than 50 yards and everything in between. Large riverbottoms to "hills and hollers" just depends on which section your in. Most of my calling is around pastures and smaller farmland. 300 yards would cover most areas with a lot of 50-100 yard sightings.

1. .257 Roberts AI, build on Remington 700, McMillan BR stock, 3X12x56mm Docter Optics.

2. 6x47 Lapua build on a custom bolt action

3. High prairies & the rocky mountains

At this time in my predator hunting career I've been shooting a Winchester Mod 70 Stealth in 223WSSM with a Weaver 3x9x50. It weighs in at about 11 lbs.

Hummm, a dream predator hunting rifle? I think I'd have to go with a Dakota Arms Predator Varmint rifle in 220 swift AI topped with a 3x9x50 Leupold.

I hunt mostly Hills, high desert sage brush country, canyon country and even the mountians of California, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico.

I also hunt day and night where legal.

1. Bushmaster Varminter, Bushnell elite 3200 5x15x42 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. I'm using my dream gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

3. I hunt mostly open country, with a mix of sage, grass land, and coulees.

1. 340 Savage 222 normal barrel with 3x9x50 is my go-to gun and is very heavy imo.

2. I'd love to jump on the black gun band wagon, a Bushy or AR perhaps but they're not legal to hunt with here so I'd get me a Savage 12BVSS in .223 with a 3x9x50 Leupold.

3. A mixture, heavy timer, brushy, farmland

Cool topic, I use shotgun only at night.

Vic

1. Browning Micro Hunter left hand 243. Topped with a Leupold VX-1 3-9X40. Pencil barrel, gun only weighs in at about 5.5-6 pounds.

2. Take down 223 with a silencer.

3. I hunt in the midwest with rolling hills that are just grass and small brush patches. Sometimes I look over some coolies(SP).

1.Mine changes with the wind, literally, The two I grab the most are a 17 rem Classic model 700. has a 4.5 - 14 Leupold. weighs in at around 7-8 lbs. If I am going out the door and the wind is blowing I will take my swift. A ruger 77 VS with a 6-24. 55 grain BT. It weighs in around 12-14 lbs.

2.Dream rifle- Rem 700 Sporter in 22-250 AI. 6-24 Leupold.
I have a 22-250 AI now but is a heavy weight.

3.I hunt cut crop fields in the river bottom. I can see most coming from a long ways and try to stop them at around the 100 yd mark. Less chance of them spooking.

1. TC Contender .222 21" Bull Carbine / Leupold M8 2-7.

2. Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic 25-06 / Swarovski x-12.

3. Heavy timber or heavy brush clearcuts.

1. I mainly hunt with my 243AI built on a Rem 700 SA. It has a 25" #7 contour Shilen select match 12 twist, HS detachable mag 4&10rd, Mcmillan A3 and Leupold 4.5-14x50 illuminated mildot.
2. I am shooting it right now. It was the first custom rifle I had put together and no matter what I have built I always grab the 243AI when I head out the door.
3. Central Texas, mainly open fields surrounded by heavy brush.
I had to go back and post a pick of my baby.
DSC00626.jpg

Last edited:
1. Savage 12 FV .22-250, 6-24X Bushnell Elite 4200, 55 gr BT's

2. Anything made by Bansner's or an accurized ranch rifle because we can't hunt with the black rifles in Canada

3. Open farm land next to small blocks of bush, beach coastline (coyote + red fox)
Thick bush in Northern Ontario ( Wolf)

1. Rock River 16" CAR A4 flattop with an ACE stock - has a JP single stage trigger that breaks at a hair under 3lbs. Loopy 3x9 sits on top....

2. the above for now....

3. Oklahoma - creekbottons to grass plains.

1. Ruger 77R 22-250 sporter barrel with 3x9 redfield scope

2. Rem 700 sporter 6mm AI with 4x12 Nikon

3. Colorado high county ranches, edges of trees looking in to open parks or out in the sagebrush.

1. Olympic Arms K8 1:9 twist, Burris fullfield 2 3-9x40 ballistic plex. 20" bull barrel, absolutely loves american eagle 50 grain HP's....

2. I have spent enough on the above rifle to think about buying another one.... However, I wouldn't mind 25 WSSM upper from Dtech......

3. upper midwest: woods, farm fields, ridges and valley's, public mostly, but hitting the road soon to meet some land owners face to face

Back