Anyone use any of the PMC predator .22 magnum ammo yet?

instantdeath

After looking at the ballistics on the net i liked what i saw this stuff would expand the range quite a bit wondering if anyone else had any luck with it.

According to the sheets and info i have it goes like this. It is a standard 40 gr bullett moving at 1910 fps and 324 ft-lbs at the muzzle, seems pretty standard, BUT the ballistics coefficient is .183 which means it carries its speed downrange a lot more. at 200 yds it still is moving 1287 fps with 147 ft-lbs of energy. and with a 50 yd zero its still only 17.17 inches low at 200 yds. so the ballistics are flat bad as far as down range killing power. I was just wondering if that particular bullet was accurate enough. I used a Shoot 3.0 ballistics software program that gives me all the info.

Moved this thread to the Firearms / Reloading forum... It will get more hits there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have tried it in a 25mn Marlin (micro-grove).
The ammo shot fairly well but not as consistant as I prefer. To be fair I compared it to the Rem 40gr. psp, Winchester 40 gr. jhp & 34gr. Supreme.
I will say this; it's good plinking ammo, and with out a doubt decent out to 50 yards. Plus it's inexpensive compared to alot of 22wmr. Plus I'd shoot the PMC ammo before that Dynaturd welfare diaper junk anyday.

Don't worry about the ballistics or anything else. Just get it and shoot prairie dogs with it. They really make'em pop, and loud pops! I shoot it all the time!

Mostly ground hogs at 200 yds I can dive 35 GR coyote Killers from outland sales at 200 yds into a Coyote with good results. and I know I'l be gettin alot of static for shooting 200yds with a .22 Mag but.......... unless someone wants to buy me a 22-250 ill use my .22 MAG. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif The Coyote Killers at a 35 GR Hornady Coated V-Maxx with a compressed charge its moving 2265FPS it packs a wallop at 200 yds but at 24.95 a box i dont think its very cost effective. The PMC is a WHOLE lot less expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. Thank you folks for any help on this subject.

Last edited:
Welcome to the board!

Yeah, I can see where 200 yds with a 22 mag could start a healthy conversation. What size groups are you getting with that load at 200 and what are you shooting them out of?

I would think that most 22 mag bullets at that distance would shoot groups the size of a lawnmower but don't know that for sure! LOL!!! Never tired it!

I have a Volquartsen switch barrel in .17 HMR and .22 mag. the .22 mag will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 inch 10-shot groups at 50 yds, some better with every load made. However, when you move back to 100 yds it starts growing really fast. Only the new Rem 33gr load is good at 100. However, I can't see shooting a yote at that distance with a .22 mag. Just can't see it making good humane kills.

I use a Bogen camera tripod to get a steady shot, it's a trick my dad taught me i can get 3- 3 1/2 inch groups with littlr or no wind if i follow my charts procisly.i would be happy with 4 inch groups at that range. The 33 gr remingtons do well if they were just faster. its not too often i get those long shots because here in east tn mostly hills. When the wind picks up i stay around 125-150.

PMC has not closed their doors. They are being bought out by the Koreans and are in a change of sorts right now.

4" groups at 200 is pretty good. What type rifle are you shooting? I know what you mean about the wind and .22's be it mag or not. Will have to try some loads at 200 with my Volquartsen.

Also, forgot to report on the PMC .22 mag. It has been my experience that one does not need to purchase it for what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Back