5MM Remington

broknaero

Yeah! That got your attention!

Id like to know anything you know about the 5mm Remington especialy the model 591 Remington, and its conversion to 5mm Craig.

Is this something that(after the conversion to 5mm Craig)
would make a great fur friendly round on fox? (with the right reloads and conservative ranges ofcoarse) (and any other disclaimers I didnt think of)

I dont personaly own a 5mm Craig but i think it would make a decent fur frindly fox round out to 100 yards with good shot placement. I prefer the 17'a for fox and bobcat myself, I have a TC Contender with 17 Ackley Bee, 17 Jet, and 17 Remington. Nelson

I also have a .17 for a calling rifle. but have been considering a 5mmrem at a good price, that i could convert to the 5mm craig. I have calling areas where id never get a shot out to 100 yards. Since the 22mag is considered good for close fox and cats, and the 5mm is faster and hits well( especialy with the rightbullet and reloads) do you think the 5mm would do the trick for close fox and cats, and maybe even coyotes?

I remember wanting to do a conversion years ago, but was put off by the lack of performance (went with a hornet instead). It does seem like a neat little cartridge though.
My attention lately has been turned towards the 5.7x28 simply because brass and bullets would be more availible. Just need to find a bolt action that's skimpy but still strong enough.

FWIW you can still find 5mm barrels for contenders, this might be the cheapest route if you have a frame handy, and if you didnt like it, you could sell it down the river to the next guy.

I have had a 5mm Remmag since around 1971, and it works very well as a fur round for the smaller varmints, i.e fox, racoon etc. I would not hesitate to use it on bobcats at under 100 yards. I don't shoot it much anymore as I am down to 199 factory rounds. Factory specs were a 38gr Corelokt at 2100fps. A very good bullet, more of a controlled expansion type.

The Craig conversion, if I remember right, uses Hornet brass with the rim shaved on a lathe, and Lilgun powder.

I believe there is also a Schroeder conversion. This one gives your bolt a new centerfire head and you can change back to rimfire. The Craig conversion uses your bolt, and there is no going back to rimfire. Contact: Steve Schroeder 1421 Thermal Ave, San Diego, CA 92154 (619)-423-3523/8124.

If you convert, let me know how it went.

Last edited:
I can get an old Remington Model 591 for around $200. Theres no reason not to try it at that price. Ive mostly looked into the craig conversion, but i need to check out Schroeder befor I decide. I dont mind the hassel of the brass, I can buy it at Eagle View Arms. They sell the dies and have the reloading data also. Ill post some picks of this project when it gets going.

Im thinking that after the conversion from rim fire to center fire that with good loads and Berger 30gr or 35gr whatever the longest i can fit, it should make a nice "close cover" calling rifle for fox and cats, and maybe even coyotes.

What Tackdriver said. The .19 Calhoon just flat out performs! If you reload, try it with some BlueDot in a reduced load. It'll handle all you are asking, and then some!

I have the Schroeder conversion on the Model 591 and I would definitley go with it over the 5MM Craig conversion.

With the Craig conversion, the bolt face on the rifle is permanently altered. With the Schroeder conversion, you knock out a cross pin and mearly replace the original RF bolt head with the Schroeder CF bolt head.

If anyone ever decides to produces the 5MM RF Mag cartridge again, you then have a choice of what to safely shoot in the rifle. And Schroeder's work is top quality.

The cartridge is a real blast to shoot. I use less than 5 grains of powder and the Hornady 32 grain 20 caliber V-Max bullet in my rifle and it makes an excellent 100 yard plinker /varminter rifle.

JMO - BCB

Does Schroeder have a site to check out? I like the concept of this caliber, especialy with the rimfire/centerfire option.

I doubt id want to ever use it as rimfire because I can taylor the centerfire to my shooting needs. But i do like the sounds of it. I imagine i can still use Craig brass with the Schroeder conversion.

I think with 30gr or 35gr Bergers it should fill the gap nicely between the 22Mag and the 22 Hornet as a close calling rifle.

It's gonna' be a couple of days before a photo as I'm not at home right now. I'll try to get a photo posted after I get back home tomorrow night.

-BCB

brokenaro:

Should I clear the photo with you before I post it?

Will it be OK if all I have to compare the 5MM CF round with is a 50 BMG cartridge?

Or I could just use a 5MM RF cartridge for comparison purposes. Thanks

-BCB

brokenaero:

Isn't the edit function great?

You make a demand, I comment, so you edit your 08/16-06 7:18 PM post to appear to be a lot less demanding than you were originally.

Nice job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I'm impressed............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7wsm:

I'll have a PM with photo headed your way tomorrow. I just got back home this evening.

-BCB

I own a Craig conversion and a .19 Badger. There is NO comparison between the two. The Badger is far, far ahead in all respect to the Craig.
Jeff

Again BCB i am sorry if you were offended, I publicly recognise that you offered to post a picture for 7wsm and i not so politely told you how you should take the pic for comparison. I did not consider the fact that you may be offened by that. I am sorry.

Back