Can't seem to get anything to come in to my calling

MarkNTennessee

I have tried in several locations in the past couple of days and the areas are known for foxes and coyotes and I can't get anything to respond, It maybe the sounds I make with the call or the sequence. Do you guys have any opinions

well what kind of calls are you using i like to use my electric predator call the hand calls freeze up and its not worth it plus i have been more acurate with my electic call

Mark, are you SURE they aren't coming in? Some folks will tell you we see one in three that show up. We have snow on the ground here right now and it is a good example. When I give up a stand, a lot of times I see tracks behind me where one came in and looked me over then got out of Dodge. Are you trying to sit real still when not calling? Coyotes will hide behind cover to check out the sound. Learning to look in those places can take a little practice because they don't always come charging in. When I first started, one of the old pros told me not to be so concerned what my "jackrabbit" sound was like, but just make sure it sounded like something that was hurting or dying. As a matter of fact, I can't count the jackrabbits I've shot, and never have heard one make a sound. These are just a couple of simple things that might improve your outcome. What kind of area are you hunting?

Bob

Mark

Do not give up.

I have had a dry spell for a month.

I see them but can not get them in to where I can shoot.

Start out calling softly for about two to three minutes.

If nothing comes in then in crease the volume and call for a minute or two then stop and watch for two to three minutes.

Many folks call for a constant time. I my self prefer the on off. It seems to bring in the call shy coyotes.

They will sneek in like a cat not like a hungry dog.

BUT NEVER GIVE UP.

Keep trying it will all come together.

------------------
Kevin Bowler
Support NRA Vote Freedom First

I would have to add that I doubt that your call sound or your sequence is drastically at fault. I have called coyotes in with a shoddy tape player and a poor recording of a jackrabbit in distress. I HAVE heard a jack scream before and to be honest it was not very loud at all, but did sound raspy and was quivering like a frightened animal would.

I would encourage you to look for sign in your calling area and as previously stated sit very still and wait patiently. I too have found tracks where there were no tracks before I started my stand. It is frustrating but encouraging at the same time. I have wished before that I had eyes in the back of my head. Good luck to you and keep calling, they will come!

------------------
Matt/Spinner

Hey Mark,
You sound like I was when I first started calling. I would go out and not have any luck at all. If you can learn to make that call quiver when you blow it, and if you pay serious attention to your cammies and your scent, you will start having luck nearly all the time. I had one real good hunter tell me that he thinks that maybe 50% of the time, you won't get anything. It may just be because the dogs aren't interested right then. But it will pay you in the long run too, to buy a tape of the sound you want to make and just listen to it--for example a wounded cottontail or whatever. That is, if you are not using an electric caller. I use mouth blown calls 100% and I have real good luck here, but I tell you, I really think camouflage and scent control help a lot. I call nearly always during the day, with the sun and the wind at my back--those dogs come in downwind nearly all the time--and by using scent control methods, they don't smell me until it is too late. Most of my shots are within 50 yards--I have been shooting 'em with an open sight 30-30 until just recently when I got me a 22-250. If you aren't having luck in one general area, try a different one a few miles or more away, sometimes that helps. I also have much better luck when I hunt alone.
Good luck and keep trying!

Rich,
I wash my cammies in just plain water, and I shower in just plain water (with no soap or shampoo) the night before I go hunting. I leave my cammies in a bag with branches of local vegetation (greasewood here or another tree called "pirule" that has a strong odor.) If I am walking a pretty good distance to a stand, I usually try to step in some cowshit to kind of take care of my shoe odor
biggrin.gif
. When I get to my stand, I put out red fox urine or skunk essence to mask whatever odor I have. My favorite stand will be on the side of a fair sized arroyo facing west with the wind at my back, and with some brush or a mesquite at my back. It is best to sit in the shade, and wear a camouflage face net and gloves. Call for 10 or 15 minutes and watch those dogs come in running! Man, I love it!

your approach to your stand to me is probably just as important as camo or scent control, the sound is not that important just as long as something sounds like it is hurting real bad. Watch your approach and make sure they dont see you going to or leaving your stand and be quiet.

------------------
Keep Your Powder Dry.

I cant say anything to you that hasnt already been said. These guys ALL give real good advise. I myself hunt almost exactly the same as Rio. From the de-scenting to the cowshit.hahaha. The only thing i can tell you is, "if you got one every time, it wouldnt be a challenge and you'd lose interest. Thats what keeps ME motivated and learning." i have been hunting predators for almost 10 years now and have only taken about 20 coyotes total, and i took my first bobcat this past sunday. thats the thrill of it, doing everything you "know is right" and getting one to come in. my only other advise is to be mannequin like. keep your eyes moving but only move your head when you have to and do it SLOW. you would be surprised to know that you have probably been calling them in all this time, just not seeing them before they see you. I HOPE THIS HELPS. Dont give up just keep getting better. i have no doubt you'll be a success and when it does come, it be just that much more exciting. Happy New year.

------------------
RANDY C

Open sights with a .30-30, now that's gotta be fun! Great advice Rio Kid, thanks.

I would like to add that if you are not constantly learning and getting adrenaline rushes then somethin's haywire.
tongue.gif

Congrats on your bobcat Randy!

------------------
Matt/Spinner

Thanks Matt. By the way Mark, just to let you know, i went out yesterday after about a 2" snow and went to little honey hole where i have killed 2 coyotes on called 3 or 4 others in for other hunters. had a friend with me who doesnt hunt much but likes it all the same. I called with my minibalster for about 5 min. when i heard what sounded like a jet engine taking off behind me. The guy with me said he saw a dog leaving but thats all. He said it had to have been someones pet cause he had never seen a yote that big. I got down from my tree perch and started tracking him. it was a big coyote, i tracked him for +- 3 miles and only got 2 shots off at more than 200 yards away and running.needless to say, i didnt get him and probably never will now that he's on to me. Morall of this not so short story, i never heard him, saw him, or knew he was there. Dont get mad, just get even. thats what i try to do.
take care, R. Cloyd

------------------
R.Cloyd

Back