444 Marlin

MUDSLINGER

Alright guys, give me ur opinions on this caliber. I really like the new marlin XLR rifles and was thinking of getting one in the 444 to take bear hunting and possibly elk hunting. It would only be in the event that i draw a Pa. elk tag, Even then, i might take my bow, so shots would be within 100 yards if that.(If i ever make it out west i'll take my 300WSM). This gun will mainly be used for bear hunting! Any info will help. Thanx

Last edited:
Mudslinger,

I've had a 444 Marlin since way back in the mid 1970's. Wouldn't sell it for any reason. I love it. It's a fine cartridge for close range thumping. My 444 accounted for my very first deer, and also a wild boar. My son took a large boar with it also. I took the deer with a 240 gr. Remington factory load, and the two hogs were taken with handloaded 265 gr. Hornadys.

What surprised me the most is it's accuracy. When I bought it, I didn't expect that it would deliver such good accuracy. I load IMR 3031 and 265 gr. Hornady Flat Points that will group practically touching at 50 yards, and shot three shots at 100 one time that resulted in a nice clover-leaf pattern, all three touching. Man, that's accurate for a big bore rifle.

I also loaned this gun to friend who showed a buddy how accurate it is. They busted bottles at over 100 yards consistently with it. He tried to buy it from me and I wouldn't sell.

Bear over bait or up a tree would be no problem, I think. You might also look at other bullet choices, heavier. As for Elk, I personally would not use it unless my shots would be very close. That being said, if that's the only caliber I had to hunt Elk with, I would feel confident with it. I have no experience on either bear or elk, but I'm just stating my opinion. Others may have solid experience and info that might shed more light on that.

You won't go wrong with this cartridge for deer and wild hogs. Just realize that it's slow moving, a real thumper at close range, and accurate. Use it within it's limits and you will be very happy.

My son, Nelson, age 14, and a record book
Boar, shot while bayed by dogs. One shot
put him down.
NelsonsBoar.jpg

Last edited:
That is the same powder that my 45/70 likes. The 444 is not a bad round but think the 45/70 would be a better value in the long run.

I'm a .45-70 type of guy, however, there are no flies on the Triple 4. It's a good cartridge.

the 444 is interesting i've heared somewhere that it was used in nam by Special forces to shoot the mud bunkers . also everthing you shoot through it will be pistol bullets as rifle bullets are not made in 44 cal but there are .45 rifle bullets but hornadays new lever evolution ammo ballistics are very impresive

Regarding pistol bullets, not quite true. Hornady has a 265 gr. FP specifically designed for the .444. Also, the 250 grain Nosler Parition, and 270 gr. Speer bonded core Gold Dot work quite well from the .444 from what I've been told. There are also some heavy 300 grain LBT type hard cast flat point bullets that would probably shoot end to end through about anything in North America.

My experience is the same as yours in the way of accuracy, I
every 444 that I have shot have been very accurate, more so than I expected. Congrats to your son with such a fine Boar.
He sure is a spitting image of you!

I have shot some accurate 45-70's also, but it was not across the board, but it could have been the luck of the draw, so please I hope nobody gets too excited that I believe the 444 is more accurate than the 45-70, no I don't know that, only stating that all of the 444's were deadly.

I have a 450Marlin Ultra that I got a VERY good deal on that shoots about good, I will soon have a 45-70 barrel for a different frame & thinking about a 444 for my Encore or picking up a used Marlin 444.

Concerning the original post:

No doubt, the 45-70 offers an edge for Large & or Dangerous
Game from Grizzley's, Buffalo's & up or the Big African
game. Lord willing if I am around long enough I plan on taking a Bison with a 45-70, it just seems right.

For the game we have here in AR, Deer, Bear, & Hogs the 45-70 offers no true advantage for these animals if the 444 is loaded with the proper bullets. We have Elk but getting that draw is like winning the lottery. Anyway, the Sec. Density of a 300 gr. 444 & a 350 Gr. 45-70 is virtually identical & both are more than enough for these animals in weight & dia. for UNDER 200 yard shots.

I would not use the 444 for Elk unless I knew for sure you
would be in dark timber 100% of the time & you will NEVER have to take a 200 yard plus shot on an Elk. The new Horn. ammo helps but not enough in my view for the energy needed for Elk. There are just too many better choices for Elk if a shot of more than 200 yards presents itself.

Thanx for the info fellas, keep it coming. As for the use of this caliber on elk, it would only be in the event that i draw a Pa. elk tag, Even then, i might take my bow, so shots would be within 100 yards if that.(If i ever make it out west i'll take my 300WSM). This gun will mainly be used for bear hunting! Thanx again fellas

Last edited:
The .444 is a great round for black bear but it would not be my choice for elk hunting.I'd want a flatter shooting round that can reach-out 300-400 yds..

I just ran some of the new Hornady loads through the rifle pic'ed above and at 100 yds from a rest it put five shots in an inch measured center to center. Recoil was pretty stout.

Many Elk have fallen to the 30-30 and such before the real stuff came along.

Quote:
Many Elk have fallen to the 30-30 and such before the real stuff came along.

Yep, and the 30-06 has probably taken more bear (including grizzly) than all other calibers combined. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

My Dad has a .444 Marlin, I like it alot. It shoots very good also, better than you would ever dream a bone stock levergun would shoot. He shot a whitetail buck with ti several years ago at about 100yds (if I recall) and he said the buck looked like it had been hit with a sledgehammer and dropped in his tracks. It did see the fist-sized hole.

This is the reason I now own a Model 1895 Cowboy .45/70
They are both big enough to handle probably anything on the North American continent.

2nd that on the .30/30 and .30-06 There was alot of critters killed with these wwaayyyy before the SuperDuperShortMagnums

Last edited:
Shoot he heck out of it. WHen you figure out there is a lot of cartridges better you will know it.

Just kidding. It is a great cartridge, in its own element.
My father-in-law shoots nothing else but the 444 and would not shoot anything else, but he's hardheaded. He brings in the meat every year.

The rest of us "younguns" shoot 7 Mags and 300 Mags and kill the buck deer that are trailing the "meat".

I would not want to limit myself to 150 yds.

When I had my 444, two actually, I loaded 200gr Nosler HP's and smoked them out pretty fast. I shot everything up to muledeer with that gun. It was also a great side companion back in the 80's when I was a Deputy. A 240gr slug does massive damage when shot in an engine block.
I would say it would be perfect for bear hunting and within reason a great elk gun.

I have a Winchester Big Bore in .444 and an early 1970s Marlin in 45-70. I shoot mostly 300 grain Hornady XTPs out of the .444 seated over H335. H335 makes a great fireball.
Out of the Marlin 45-70 I shoot Speer 400 grain Flat Point over IMR3031.
The .444 has bag a buck, a black bear and a moose so far.
The 45-70 has bagged a moose, probably a 1/2 dozen deer and a fox. The fox stopped behind a maple tree about 6-7" in diameter, but that didn't save him.
I like both of them alot and will not part with either one. The Winchester .444 is handier to carry than the Marlin 45-70, but believe it or not the Marlin is easier on the shoulder.
Want a Marlin .444 just because I like Marlins.

Back