Leupold varmint scopes

bubbaz222

Has anyone out there had any experience with the Leupold 30mm scopes with the varmint hunter reticle and side focus? Looks like a good scope for a prairie dog rifle. Bob

I have and will tell you that the range and windage compensations are pretty darn accurate for my .223. I'm VERY happy with my 4.5-14X50 LR.

It's one of my favorite ballistic/ranging reticles. I have 1 on a 243 WSSM STriker (4.5-14X 40 LR), and with a 115 DTAC @ 2600 it's about .5 of the windage subtensions.

Last edited:
I have four VX-III LR's

two 4.5-14x40mm
one 4.5-14x50mm
one 8.5-25x50mm (over-kill!)

All with the "Varmint Hunters" Reticles.
They perform very well, and are a real pleasure to shoot with!!

I highly recommend them!!

After shooting for awhile with 30mm tube scopes .., 1" tubes seem kind of wimpy..., even though I know they're not!!

Those 30mm tubes are teerriffic-- an incredible 100 MOA of adjustment for the 4.5-14's.

Love that signature Zeb.

Last edited:
Have a VXIII, 30 MM, 6.5-20x50. Probably the best scope I have ever owned. It was out shooting PD's in WY over the weekend. FANTASTIC!

Are you guys talkin about the "varmit recticle" or the "Long Range (LR) recticle? There is a difference. The LR duplex is more simple then the VR recticle. I have a 4-12X LR duplex on my AR and its been a great scope so far.
JEV

Here's a link to all the reticles Leupold offers--

http://www.leupold.com/products/reticles.htm

and here-- http://www.leupold.com/resources/custom_shop/custom_shop.htm

I prefer the VH reticle for more direct windage reference.

My system, detailed here-- www.ottllc.com/specialtypistols/sp20.pdf provides a method that will allow any reticle with more than 1 stadia, to be applied as a ballistic reticle (plex, ranging, custom). This system allowed me to take 2 coyotes last season beyond 500 yds., 1 of which was in an avg. 10 mph x-wind @ 530 yds. with my custom Savage Striker/VH reticle.

Last edited:
Did you write that paper sscoyote? If so, I'm very impressed. Either way, it's a keeper and went into the ballistics file. Thanks

Back