25-06 for Caribou

Rich44

Howdy
I didn't want to hijack the other 25-06 thread but I have a couple more questions. My brother and myself are planing a
caribou hunt next fall and I was going to use a 338-06 as my primary arm with my 30-06 as a backup but after trying some loads today in this 25-06 100gr Nosler BT Imr4350 about 3100fps I kinda would like to try it instead. It has less recoil (not that recoil is a problem) and so far is one of my most accurate rifles, is this load capable of taking this sized animal?

Caribou are pretty big, but if you'd shoot an elk with the load, it'll take a caribou. They're not the size of a moose, or as tough and muscled as a grizzly. Think of them like a 400lb deer.

Thats fine for caribou. if you shoot accuratly with it and feel comfortable with it you'll be fine with that. Its very close to the .260 i use and ive taken lots of game with that, includeing 2 caribou,and 2 350lb.+ black bears. Its ultra light for elk but will do the job. If your comfortable with it on elk (like rain shadow said) then your good to go.

My only question would be why you would pick that over the 30-06? Thats a question only you can answer, but if it was my choice i would pack the 25 as backup rifle, and 30 as primary. but again it comes down to what you feel the most comfortable with. Both will do the job, just a little more room for error with the 30.

I'd go with the 338-06. If you're going to Alaska you'll
probably be in grizzly country as they follow the herds somewhat. I'd hate be in griz country with a 25-06.

Rich44,

I've shot a 25-06 since 1980 ,as you already know it's a fine cartridge.
My only concern would be the bal. tip bullet ,it would definately make jello out of the lungs but w/a bad shot you might have a runner.
If you shot something like a barnes tsx or nosler accubond i think you'd get much more predictable results.
The accubond shoots just like a bal. tip but more controlled expansion.There isn't much reloading data for a 110gr bullet ,i worked up slowly w/this one.

110gr accubond -win brass - cci 200 primer -53.5gr of imr4350 @20k off lands- start at 52gr and come up.
This load shoots .7" pretty consistant in a rem 700 sporter.
I wouldn't want a bal. tip in my gun in grizzly country that's for sure.Best of luck Mike

The .25-06 is plenty of gun for caribou, but I would use a heavier bullet. 100 grains is the bare legal minimum here in Newfoundland & Labrador for big game, including our caribou.

I think the 25.06 is plenty capable of killing caribou, but I would choose a bullet built a little tougher and heavier. The TSX, Accubond and Partition come to mind. If your 25.06 shoots Ballistic tips it will likey shoot the Accubonds well also.

The small amount of caribou hunting I have done led me to believe that its not all that difficult to get a good shot on a bull. And after the shot on the open tundra there is little chance of them immediately disappearing into heavy cover like elk and deer.

What part of Ak you hunting for caribou? Going guided or unguided?

I do not think there is any question as to whether a .25-06 will kill a caribou or not,it will.But in my mind the .25-06 would be the last choice of the three you mentioned.Bulletbob7 makes a good point regarding grizz country.I hunted the interior of Alaska in 2004.I was in thick alders one day and came across an abundance of fresh grizz sign.Sure made me wish I had the .338 instead of the .30/06 I was carrying.Also,it is almost always windy on the open tundra.A heavier .30 cal bullet is inherantly more stable in the wind than a smaller and lighter bullet.I'd go with the .338-06 and the .30/06.

I think you can get the picture by everyones resp???

I'd try your 30-06 with 180 gr. nosler partitions.

That would give plenty of stopping power for an OH $h!t if.

besides caribou are bot always animals you take 300 yrd shots on. out of 5 friends last year the average shot was maybe 75 yrds. and that was on tundra.

Thanks for the replies.
I'll be hunting the Ungava Bay Region of Northern Quebec. after some more thought and reading your replies I'll stick to my original plan and take my 30-06 and 338. thanks again.

Back