Simmons Aetec Master Series 2.8-10x44 ... opinions ?

CV32

Simmons Aetec Master Series 2.8-10X44, with Hydroshield lens
coatings. For a predator rifle. Opinions please.

A top simmons is still no weaver or burris, and for that matter a VX-I leupy. The extra 25-50 bucks that it cost more than makes up for the quality difference. I woudnt spend 200 on a simmons when i can get one of the others in that same ballpark.

I bought a used Aetec 4-12X40mm for fifty bucks and mounted it on my 243 Browning BLR and have had good luck with it. But it was the older series and I am curious how the newer ones are working out. I agree with rowney that you need to look at similarly priced alternatives when you get into that price range. I have a Weaver Grand Slam and a Bushnell 4200 Elite that are really rugged scopes and do not have as many "cheapies" on them as the Simmons. I've had to work on my Simmons a couple of times to adjust or tighten something and have never touched either of the other scopes I've mentioned.

I'm gonna have to be odd man out and defend the Simmons high end scopes. I've shot the Whitetail Expedition line of scopes for a long time with excellent results. It was the forerunner to the Aetec, which is also a good scope for the money.

Up to and including the 243 the scopes have been dead reliable and hold zero, and track well through the magnification range. Clarity is surprising. Got the Whitetail Expeditions in 1.5 x 6, 3 x 9, and 4 x 12 A.O., and think they are great scopes for the money.

They have accounted for a good amount of dead Predators since I've been shooting them, and honestly do not believe I'm giving up a thing shooting them. Yes, I have owned and do own Loopies and a Nikon, so I do have a baseline to judge against.

Also, I'm not just a fair weather hunter, as I hunt rain or shine, temps from 50 to -15 degrees. No problems so far.

Whitetail Expeditions can be found for reasonable prices in gun shops, and I've picked them up for under 100.00 on Ebay. So if your talking varmint calibers, the Simmons is a very good bang for the buck.

Can't speak how they hold up on big guns, as mostly I'm talking smaller rounds, 243 and under.

I think the Aetec is a bit underrated, and would not hesitate in buying one!! Hope that helps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I bought a similar scope here on PM classifieds for a great price. It was a 3.8-12x44 AO w/illum reticle.
I am very pleased with it as far as clarity and brightness.
It is on my Encore .204 right now.
If you can find one for under $100 like Sleddog said, JUMP on it!

Thanks for the replies. I'm moving a higher power scope off my .204, so I'll need a new one for my .223 or the .204. Something in a variable that maxes out around 10-12X.

Last edited:
I have a Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44 on a Ruger .260. Its about 3 years old, and ive put it thru alot. I have nothing bad to say about it. I've shot out other cheep simmons befor, but this Aetec is just as accurate and clearer than my Nikon. and equal to the leaupold and burris i own.

I swore I'd never own another Simmons until I "had" to have a scope on a moments' notice (unanticipated trip in my single days) and the only thing that teh local shop had was an Aetec 3.8-12x44. Liked it so much I went back and bought a second one. Recently picked up a used 2.8-10 at a pawn shop for $25, lucky me.

I put the first one through the most gawdaweful test I've ever put a scope. I had a severe fall that resulted in me basically lifting the rifle over my head with both hands and throwing it has far and hard as I could. I lived through the horror of seeing my favorite rifle hit a frozen mole hill that was sticking up out of the snow. The scope was the point of impact. I'll never forget the horrible "boink" sound.
I just knew that no Simmons was going to live through that.
Long story short, the point of impact was shifted an inch at the most. Pretty tough, in my book. That was maybe 4 years ago and the scope is still holding zero from that day when I corrected for that shift.

Never thought I'd have anything nice to say about a Simmons, if the new ones are as good as the original they are a good value for the money. The first one I bought still lives on what was at the time my favorite rifle and I have absolutely no plans or need to replace it......

Which reminds me - I need something to put that 2-8-10x on............

Editted because I can't type...

Last edited:
OK, the OP's question was on the NEW Master Series upgrade for all of their scopes, not the old conventional designed scopes including the Aetec. So, if you own one of the new scopes your feedback would be appreciated.

Sorry, i don't own the new one either. But here is a link to a Predator Extreme article . I have an older one on my .22 mag. No problems, killed a lot of rats with it. Planning on buying a new one for my 17hmr.

I bought two of the new Master Series Aetec's when they first came out and put one on my 300 Mag ------worked great. The only thing negative I can say about it was at first it wasn't as smooth to change power as some other scopes but after use it got a lot better. I only used it at the range so didn't abuse it in any way but the adjustments were right on and the scope was very nice.

The other one I sold because I really didn't need it.

I don't think you can beat it for udner $200.

DBBill,

A friend of mine is looking for a scope of the "bang for the buck" variety and the new Master Series seems to have some interesting improvements, hence my interest in this thread, so thank you for your report.

Back