Raccoons respond to distress calls?

Troy R. Plambeck

How often do you get raccoons to come in to distress calls when targeting coyotes? Is there a method of calling and targeting raccoons? Just curious as to how many guys get the raccoons to come in while they are dog hunting.

Troy

Quote:
Is there a method of calling and targeting raccoons?

The best thing I know of for calling coons is find yourself a creek bottom or river bottom where there's alot of sign. Sit quitely on a mild winters night and lipsqueak and then listen for them in the leaves, then hit em with the light and shoot em, yep it's pretty much that simple. Lipsqueak is the best.

They don't travel far, so the closer you are to a den tree the better off you are.

Quote:
How often do you get raccoons to come in to distress calls when targeting coyotes? Is there a method of calling and targeting raccoons? Troy

Coons often come to my field mouse calls. Have had them come at dead run from 150 yards or more.

Regards,
hm

take a jackrabbit call and flitter your tounge like a woodpecker call, sounds like a coon call.
they make a baby coon distress tape too.
i would think any bird distress call would work too.

It seems like we have coons respond on just about every call. Especially if we are near a creek bed. We arent doing anything different, they are just coming to a normal distress call. They are alot of fun. We had one this year climb up on the truck tire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This racoon ran full bore across a 150 yard open field in response to field mouse call. Didn't even have time to focus camera and snapped this picture at a distance of 5'.

Thought for a minute he was going to run up my leg!

edbac37a.jpg

Regards,
hm

Just like Jeff we call in alot of coons with just about any call. But rabbit in distress always seems to bring them in. And like Jeff said they will come in really close.

Troy,

MINASKA Outdoors has some awesome coon calling sounds, We got the 100 sound BANDIT caller from MINASKA OUTDOOR One morning I was just getting back from my morning errands, and April had place the caller in our back window of the family room and was playing a coon distress sound and THREE of them came charging out of the woods right towards the house!

I was just coming around the corner of the house when April called out watch out! Here they come!

(I did not know she had the BANDIT out messing around with it)

One did a cheeta flip up and off the side of the wood pile next to the house about three feet from the caller that sat in the window and the other two saw me and locked up! about six feet from me, I darted at them and they still didn't want to leave the caller that was blasting away! Man it was one of the funniest thing I have ever witnessed

Stop over to MINASKAS and load up on those coon calls and have a ball! They are great and effective.

vaportrail

Far more often at night than daytime. I can count on two hands the number of daytime coons I have called. The most recent one was captured on video for our Operation Predator Three DVD. He stands up out of the grass to look at me from about 6 feet away. He came running to one of our jackrabbit distress sounds.

At night I use our coon fight or squealing bird sounds. I have had as many as 12 on one stand. It is really fun calling coons for kids to hunt.

Back