howling to locate

ISU

I went out about a half hour ago to do some howling and try to locate some coyotes. I was going to try and take advantage of the full moon since we can't use spotlights here in Iowa. Anyway, I howled at about ten spots or so and never had any howl back. Will coyotes usually howl back if they here my howl, or were there maybe no coyotes at any of the places I howled? Any comments would be much appreciated.

Corey

Sometimes yotes won't answer back. It could be for reasons like they are unsure of the intruder. Just because you didn't hear any response does not mean they were not there. Keep trying and you will get a reply. Sure is exciting when they howl back.

coyotestalker

How long are you waiting for them to respond after you howl? Sometimes it may take 10 minutes for coyotes to give a howl back. Sometimes they answer back almost instantly and other times a couple of minutes. They won't always howl back to you either. Just because none answered doesn't mean they weren't there.

------------------

When would be a better time to howl, right at dusk or maybe a couple hours after dark? What about right at daybreak, or does time really make that much difference? How far should I get away from my truck or will that make a difference?

You Might wantto be ready to shoot also, the other day me and my buddy scot pulled up to some new country we had obtained and thought we would set in pickup and howl out the window a few times at day break. Howled once waited 5 minutes or so howled again and about 100yds or so from behind this bunch of heavy brush a loud bark howl was returned to us. I eased out of the pickup and stepped over the fence hid in a bush and used my yotebuster to bring him on in and polish him off. Was a big dominant male. My advide is if your going to howl hide the truck and be ready to shoot to.

------------------
Keep Your Powder Dry.
David Neff

Greetings ISU,

I'm new to predator hunting this year but have picked up many things from the forum as well as from videos & books. Randy Anderson has a great video out of Nebraska. In the video he states that when the weather really turns cold the coyotes aren't as prone to howl back. We are currently going through a cold snap here in Iowa. S o I bet that's the reason. I went out last weak and got 2 groups to howl back within seconds. I went out this week during this cold spell and couldn't get any response either. I know they're around though. It suppose to warm up again by the end of the week. SO I plan to go give it another shot at the end of the week. Good luck!!!

Steve

[This message has been edited by SteveH (edited 01-03-2002).]

Your probably right Steve. I remember that too from Randy's video that they usually don't howl back when it's real cold. I think it was about 0 degrees that night if I remember right. I'm going to head out early tomorrow morning and call a couple new spots, hopefully I'll be able to locate a few before the sun comes up. Thanks.

Corey

Back