Taking trapper course, need help with ?

silentflight420

Could anyone help me answer a few questions?

1.Which trap has the stongest holding power?
A)single longspring B)underspring
C)double longspring D)coil spring

2.Weasel boxes can be made selective for weasels by making the entrance hole no bigger than?
A)1 inch B)2 in. C)3 in. D)4 in.

Thank you for any help it is really appreciated!!!!

This is only a guess, but I'd say coil spring for #1. For #2, i'd say 1" as a 2" hole would allow small mink in I believe.

Silentflight,
I am not trying to be rude but if you are taking the course to get your trappers license, you owe it to yourself and the animals that you plan to target along with the ones you dont to do the research and figure out the answers for yourself. The more knowledge that you gain the better trapper you will be. JMHO

I would say 'double long springs' have the strongest holding power. I use a 3" hole in boxes for weasel and mink, so probably 1" is required for weasel only.

Quote:
Silentflight,
I am not trying to be rude but if you are taking the course to get your trappers license, you owe it to yourself and the animals that you plan to target along with the ones you dont to do the research and figure out the answers for yourself. The more knowledge that you gain the better trapper you will be. JMHO

I believe that was the intention of his post Elkmaniac. Who better to ask than the trappers on PM? IMO, that is also a form of research. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I have read every pamphlet and book I have got about trapping and out of 300 some questions I could not find the answers to 2 of the questions, I think that was pretty good considering i didnt know one thing about trapping. Also its not a test just worksheets to work on for the test. Thank you for the answers i did get. Anyone else have an opinion to the questions?

Holding power is determined by how high up on the jaws the springs travel. The higher they rise, the tighter the hold. That's the purpose behind offset jaws on a trap, they let the springs close higher.

The answer could be C or D It just depends on the design of the trap.

silentflight, what were some helpfull books that you read, i am intersted in traping and my library doesnt carry any trapping books. thanks any help is apreciated

I have all the books given to me through the trapping course. WI allows us to take the state trapping certification course through the mail. I thought it would be easier than driving over an hour everyday to take a weekend class, but if you dont know a thing about trapping it might not be the best option, lol, i found this out the hard way.

It's a question designed to make you think, as there is no definitive answer.
Traps are based on size and springs and for the designed target animal, thus a #2 coil would be fine for bobcats or fox, but may be small for a larger canine such as a coyote or a wolf for sure.

However because of the design of a double long spring a #2 double may in fact be just fine for a coyote and to large for fox and still be adequate for bobcats.

Weasel can and will go into a one inch opening, however your probably better to use a 3 for it's feel of comfort in moving in and out of it.

Offsets and high spring travel will usually result in a better catch provided the set has been produced correctly, there is no grauantee in trapping that any answer will provide the winning pelt on the wall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Back