Texas Predator Pursuit pics

Todd Woodall

Well everyone,
We just got back from our hunt with Noel in West Texas. This was a very fun hunt. We took lots of Predators and had some very good company. There were many laughs had and we gained a new friend. Noel is from Washington and was wanting to call lots of predators to study their body language and kill a few in the process. The first night the preds didnt respond very well but we still managed a few coyotes. The next few nights the action was back to normal. Noel came with a few goals, #1 was to kill a bobcat. I had talked to Noel several times before he came down and we told him not to get his hopes set too high on a cat. We hunt very good coyote country but the cats arent as plentiful. Well as you can see in the pics Noel got his cat and he was a BIG one! The biggest I have ever seen in person.
DSC00046.jpg

The cat came in just like a coyote and never checked up. The white light to our suprise didnt bother him a bit. He came to my side of the truck but I was not going to pull the trigger until Noel got a shot. The cat hung around for a minute and decided to leave.
catpose.jpg

I had the 10 gauge and was going to hold off as long as I could then take him at 50 yards if Noel couldnt get a shot. Well the cat took one last look and Noel drilled him. We knew it was a big cat but we had no idea of the trophy Noel had shot. Folks this cat is HUGE!!!We proceeded to the next stand were Noel took his first double. Here is a pic of the first coyote right before the shot.
DSC00085.jpg

Noel put the old bang flop on both dogs and it turned out great on video. Here is the coyote during the bullet impact.
DSC00087.jpg

We had a great time and in all took 16 coyotes, 3 fox, 2 hogs, 1 Javalina and yes one BIG cat.
Here are a few Hero pics of the hunt. Noel sure makes this cat look small. He is 6'3" just a hair over a hundred pounds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
DSC00082.jpg

Here is Skeet Jones, Jeff and I with the take of the 3rd night. Not a bad night by anyones standards. The cat was the biggest out of all of the preds killed.
fencepics.jpg

We had a great time and my side is still hurting from laughing so hard. Noel is pretty sharp and quick to point out the humor in any situation. We got some great footage and gained some really good bloopers for the video. Noel is a really good guy and an equilly good shot. On the last day he took a coyote running at over 200 yards with his AR-15 and drilled a coyote that ranged at 311 yards, bang flop. I wont mention the one that he missed at 20 yards, I will let him tell that story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Hope you guys enjoy the pics, man I have been long winded lately.

Take it easy,

txpred.

That should be illegal or something like that...
Up here in Pennsylvania we have a hard time finding one coyote and you guys shoot all those critters in a night or two....WOW Unbelievable
That is GREAT Great pics too !!!

Not fair Not fair Not fair Not fair

Hey Todd, I'm glad to see that you still have the footage. Yes folks, everything Todd said about me being an awesome shot is true. I would miss an easy one once in a while on purpose just so he and Jeff wouldn't feel to bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Seriously, we did have an incredible hunt, I told them that I was having sensory over load. I work so hard for every coyote I get here at home, and to have so many opportunities in such a short period of time is almost hard to comprehend while its happening. Almost surreal. There were very few stands that we did not have some kind of action. There were many highlights from the trip, the monster cat, and the long shots, were just a couple. Todd and Jeff are both great guys, and them boys can hunt. Even though I have 20 years on 'em I learned a lot from both of them, not to forget Skeets many years of expierence and willingness to share his knowledge. Great hunting and great company. I'll be hard pressed to ever top this trip, 1st cat, 1st hogs, and 1st Javalina, 1st fox and lots of coyotes.

Great hunt, great stories, great pictures. Heck, you guys had a Great time.

Noel. Isn't that pitiful. Some places the predators come running up to your truck!! Other places we have to work like dogs to get one or two. Oh well, now you know how good it can be.

Glad you guys shared with us.

Awesome as usual and what a cat, I am still trying to get my first cat! Can not wait to buy that video also. I really like the first one, but am on the edge waiting for the next one! Great stories also and no, your never long winded just winded from killin Predator's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You could be like the rest of us and full of just hot air lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I AM moving Texas!!! Bobcats, fox and coyotes all in the same areas! All I can say is WOW! Great job! How do you guys run a hunt like that? Did Noel do all the shooting or did everyone get in on the action. Also how many days/nights did you hunt to kill that many animals? How many coyotes got away that you had opportunities at? Sorry for all the questions. LOL I just get all kinds of excited when I see that much dead stuff. LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

txpred,
You can be long winded anytime with pictures and your stories of your hunting adventures. Stories always are better with pictures.

Congratulations on a successful hunt!

Hey guys thanks for the compliments. Weasel I figured you would like the pics. You are a picoholic! Glad to see I wasnt too long winded, its hard to keep it short after a hunt like this. We still have a ton of pics from the hunt but I will post them later. The cat was a big one. We may have to have a contest to see who can guess how much he ways. NOT yet but soon.

Q, You are so full of it! You wear em out up there. Why would you want to come to Texas. The cat was a treat though, It is not cat country at all. Out of 200+ stands out in that area he is the first we have seen. Noel had a good time and killed lots of Texas critters. Noel shot the majoritey of all the animals. Jeff and I shot a few that came in wrong for Noel, but for the most part Noel was the man. Noel was a great guy and told us to take the shots if we had a better angle for the videos sake, we held off until the last minute to see if they would offer him a shot then we took a few. He caught on to night hunting very fast and adapted very well. In all it was a 3 day hunt with most animals taken in the second and 3rd days. We called in a lot of coyotes, I would be scared to guess how many(well over 50). We didnt hunt in Fox country very much but we still managed a few. We had several coyotes get to within 50 yards that just didnt work out and some that circled way down wind. For the most part the coyotes responded well and we got some really good footage. The two shots Noel made on the last day would be great shots even in your book. We hunted a little on the 4th night but the wind got up and we had to leave at 7AM anyway so we called it a hunt and got some much needed rest.

We will keep you guys posted on our release date of the second video. We have to work on the day hunting section now. Looks like more hunting in our near future, Oh well I think we can handle it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Take care guys and We are glad you like the pics.

Todd

I think the question was asked but I don't think I saw an answer.

How much did the cat weigh?

The biggest cat I have shot weighed 28 lbs. and it looks like a baby compared to your picture.

I think Todd was planning on having a little guess the weight contest. So until then I think he is going to be tight lipped about it. But keep an eye out for future posts....

norohohutch,
We weighed the cat two times with a pair of cheep fish scales. The first time it was 36 pounds and the second it was 38 pounds. It could be off a pound or two but it is a big cat. We need to get a set of good scales to have some exact weights. A 38 pound cat is pretty much a lunk. I am glad Noel got to pull the trigger on him. Sorry I didnt clear that up to begin with. Good question.

Take it easy,

Todd

Hey Noel,
Looks like we were typing at the same time. We decided to hold off on the contest. The scales we used are hard to get accurate reading with. We are going to get a better pair of scales for the next monster you kill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I am glad you made it home safely. I am sure you didnt tell any stories at work today did you. Take care and dont stretch the truth too much.

By the way do you want a Fajita?

Skeet do you want me to take a left, YES, take a right!LOL

Take care

Todd

Yes sir. I think I would believe the 38lbs scale and it was probably reading a little light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
You know it Bud, as soon as I got to work I e-mailed everyone a link to this thread you had started. Phone started ringing and in box started filling up. As word about the hunt spread around I had people coming around all day, wanting to hear every detail. It's going to be a long time before I get tired of telling the stories I got from this trip. I was kind of disappointed that you had put that 311 number in there too, cause it was already creeping towards 400....
Aren't you heading out again, like tomorrow? If so, good huntin.

txpred--ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC HUNT!!!!!! That is really whackin' 'em and stackin' 'em!!! I can't believe the size of that bobcat. It makes those coyotes look like pups. Thanks for the story and the pics.

Hey Guys,
Thanks for your comments. It was a very fun trip. Sorry I didnt reply sooner, Noel you were right we headed out the next day for Ozona. Jeff and I just got back. We have hunted hard 9 out of the last 10 days. Needless to say we are pooped. It felt pretty good to turn the old truck twords home tonight. I will post some pics tommorow of our last hunt. A few goat eating felines were taken care of. Guys with a 90% kid loss are happy to see the cats gone, they are even happier to pull the trigger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif We met some great folks that think killing cats is the best thing since sliced bread. I know why too, two goats were killed while we were there. :eek: The goats are kidding right now and they are loosing an average of one or two per night. Well I will give you all the details tommorow, I am going to bed for some much needed R+R.

Take care,
Todd

Great story and photos, yes that is a big cat for sure. Looks like some great footage.

Congrats to Noel on his first cat. Glad you were able to help him connect, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back