Remington Sendero history of.

Mike Eversole

I'm looking for a sendero rifle to buy second hand and i don't know much of the history of them.

Can some of you who are in the know give me a run-down on them such calibers ,years made and such ?

They came back out this year in the sendero II ,i'd just like to know a little about the older ones.Mike

The only one I had personnal dealings with was a 7 Mag my brother bought. That was before I got him into gun work and reloading. I was the "go to" for loads and accuracy work.

The sendero is a well built gun. So named for shooting long distances across Texas Senderos. They had composite stocks and aluminum beddiing blocks. The only draw back to that was that the aluminum on this rifle only touched along two lines. A quick scuffing of the Aluminum with a dremel and some glass cured the rocking problem we experienced.

The barels are of a medium to heavy varmint weight.

He bought this rifle back in the mid nineties if my memory serves me right. That was right after they came out. For a stand gun,shooting deer it was an awesome sight to watch do its work.

They are on the heavy side for much walking.

Edited for approximate date of purchase

Last edited:
Mike...I dom't know much about them as to history. I have an older one, when thay had the speckled looking stock.....first year or two they were out.....mine is 25/06 and WILL shoot......it is topped with Redfield steel mounts/rings and an older Redfield Golden 5 star 4X12 w/ AO and accutrac.....greta set up.....but heavy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

Ditto,..I have one in 7mag and it has become my go-to rifle when I have to grab something and run. I have as much or more confidence in that rifle than I do in a lot of my custom rigs. It was the rifle that I cut my teeth on for long range work, and still performs wonderfully.

Mine holds 1/2moa out to 400yds with factory ammo

chamberings were ;
25-06
7mm mag
300win mag
300wthby (limited run)
7mm stw
7mmRUM
300RUM
338RUM

grab one that hasn't been burned out, and have at it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Some good info. so far.

I posted in the classified section a want to buy sendero post.
On gunsamerica they have some "sendero's" listed chambered in the short action ultra mag = saum ,ColoradoOsprey pm'd me that he didn't think there was any such thing as a short action "sendero".
I think there is a short action sendero but that's just me thinking at this point.Maybe they are rare because the saum's have been beat-out by the wsm's.
As i told ColoradoOsprey -i've heard people call a varmint rifle vs sf -220 swift a "sendero".
Look at gunsamerica -click on remington rifles and type in sendero 2/3 of the way down the page -a 308 and a 300saum "sendero's"??.SO i'm still curious.Mike

Mike, I too have noticed discrepencies at Guns america. I am a big 700 classic fan. I check in ther often to find them. When i do a search for "700 Classic" I will get all kinds of hits. I think the posters there will put in descriptions to cover a lot of bases. You reall y have to read betweent he lines so to speak.

The original Senderos were all long actions and like Arky said, they had a speckled stock.

Check out this site
http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/centerfire/model_700.asp

They did make a SF in the sendero. Not sure of the caliber

Mike,

I don't know the history of the Sendero either, but I do have two rifles in that model. My first purchase was a stainless in 7mm STW, and the second was a 25-06 which is now a 6mm-06. Someone earlier said on the forums here that the 25-06 is rather rare, so I may have messed up considering collector value. But, I do have a nice rifle in the 6mm-06 Sendero. It's a shooter and a keeper.

I've got custom rig that's built on a Sendero action and stock and it is excellent. It's chambered in 6mm Rem and has a lot of upgrades, but it's nonetheless a Sendero at heart. I definately recommend it.

Randy ,

The rem.700 action has been in a lot more variations than i thought ,i never saw that history on rem. site before.
Still vague to details ,no info. on a short action sendero.

6mm06 ,

There's a 25-06 sendero on auction arms -bid at $650 it's real nice.I had the hots for a 7stw for a time ,now i'm leaning towards something a little more efficient.I've got a set of 300wsm dies i got w/some reloading equip. -you probably know how that goes -> hmmm ? already got the dies -wow i'd be stupid not to get a 300wsm now...grin

Rowney ,

I did some reading on the 264 win mag ,from reliable gun guys saying 750-800 shots = new barrel time.But for a deerlope/coyote gun that would last for many years.
Rem. only made about 500 264's and their price is about $100-120 higher due to demand.

Sixgun ,

That's my intension w/a second hand sendero saum -shoot out the barrel and have it reworked.
Best of luck Mike

Quote:
Sixgun ,

That's my intension w/a second hand sendero saum -shoot out the barrel and have it reworked.
Best of luck Mike

Best of luck on the project. I'd bet it'll be a sweet shooter and will certainly be a nice looking gun to boot. I built my custom rig on a Sendero setup out of necessity: I'm a lefty and don't have many factory rifle options outside the "normal" calibers. Even a lefty 6mm Remington was impossible to find in heavy barreled varmint configuartion without looking to very pricey options like H.S. Precision or other custom builders. The Sendero I bought was found on a used rack at Gander Mountain by a buddy of mine and ended up being a perfect fit for my needs. It started life as a .308 Win. and ended up as my 6mm Rem after a barrel swap/rechamber up to a custom stainless steel Krieger tube. There was a bunch of other work done, too, but the point is that the Sendero platform is certainly worthy of a custom job.

I've posted pics of mine on here before, but here it is for you in case you never saw what became of it after all of the work.

Rem700custom600pixel.jpg

Mike your right on the barrel life, but thats a problem with any factory barrel in that round. Still one heck of a gun, which ever caliber you get. I looked at one but went instead with a browning eclipse mostly b/c of the stock.

My Rem Sendero is the best balanced rifle in the safe. Its a 300 Win Mag and, boy she's a real shooter and a looker, with the stainless fluted barrel. I also added a Vias muzzle brake and had the trigger lightned. I will try to post a photo tomorrow.

Back