Alright AR guys, 16" or 20"?

kelbro

I'm thinking about an extra upper for my 24" SS Bushy Varmint Special for those times that I just don't need to hit at 300 yds. I have been seriously looking at the Stag LH uppers. I have heard that the 16s are louder and I'm not sure if the 20" would save THAT much weight. Would you choose 16" or 20"? Why? I have a 6.5-20x VX3 on this now and I'm considering the stock sights for the new one. Suggestions?

Thanks.

First thing is all guns are loud. But the shorter the barrel the closer the boom is to your ears. Solving that problem is easy, but takes a couple hundred bucks. Best money you will ever spend for shooting, plus you can hunt with these. They amplify sound and cut off when you shoot. Everyone should have a set to save what little hearing we have left /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.pro-ears.com

Let me save you some time, and some bucks. I've been through the whole AR barrel length/ noise accuracy thing. It took 4 uppers 'till I found something I even remotely hit on a gun that was light and manuverable as well as accurate. The difference between a 16 and 20 incher loaded up and ready to rock and roll is bigger than 4 inches of barrel. Its also a balance thing.....

A 20 inch AR will weigh at least ten pounds with a scope and full mag. The 20 inchers are unbalance with the weight being very front heavy. If you shoot off sticks or a bench 100% you will love the 20 incher. If you walk and tote the gun all over Gods creation get the 16 incher.

If you need to hear it from someone else read what Byron said here.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...page=1#52335276

The lightweight 16 incher is most likely all you will need in most calling situations, and I can drill a coyote kill zone sillouette shooting off my knee easily at 150 yards.

If your bag is shooting little groups off a bench get a 14 pound 24 incher or a 11 pound 20 incher and a big honkin' scope.

If you want a handy little callin' gun, get a lightweight 16 incher, and put a low power scope or dot on it. Not sure how many coyotes you'll have to shoot at 300 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But as many you will most likely end up with a couple uppers so don't sweat it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In closing I went from being VERY lukewarm on the AR platform to liking it VERY much by getting a lightweight 16 incher. Now it handles and feels like the lightweight calling I need in the East. If all they sold was 20 inchers, I would not own an AR. Just too heavy and unbalanced for my tastes.

Guess it all comes down to what a guys idea of a callin' gun is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

If you don't buy anything else for hunting, get the ampliphied phones. You ears will say thank you, as you can wear them hunting, and hear better!!

Good shooting!, Sleddogg

kelbro,
Welcome to Predator Masters! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I prefer a 16" barrel for a quicker swing, less weight to carry and easier handling in close quarters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I was originally looking to purchase a 20" barrel, but they store that I was purchasing from was out of them at that time. However, they did have a nice Wilson SS Varmint 16" and I didn't want to walk out of the store with one. This barrel has proven to be very accurate and I'm very satisfied with my purchase. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif 1/2" groups at 100 yards with Winchester (white box) 45gr. and UMC 45gr. ammo.

I purchased a Rock River Arms A4 Varmint from Adco Firearms, which is in Sylvania, Ohio (just outside of Toledo in N.W. Ohio).
www.adcofirearms.com
Other than the red dot scope, the tactical sling and tactical light that you see in the picture, I paid $830 including tax for what you see. Wilson SS Varmint 16" 1:8 twist barrel, free-float tube, National Match 2-stage trigger, Hogue combat grip, collapsable stock and flat-top upper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
RRA A4 w/Red Dot

Good luck with your purchase!
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

I would say go to the 16" barrel since you already have a 24" upper, the difference between 4 inces is negligable. I prefer the 20" in 223 but I have been playing around more with my 300 Fireball upper and it's a 16"er. Easier to carry, it does'nt bump into things as much or snag up on branches like the 20 inch barrel does. My 20" is an OLY Arms fluted barrel so the weight is no more than the 16 non-fluted. In your case, I would opt for the 16".

I've gone to 20" H-bar type barrels on all my ARs .223,6.8 rem,.308
20" bull was way to heavy to pack around.
I'm going to pick up a 16" 6.8 rem when bushmaster or rockriver brings one out this fall.

Gary

My Bushmaster Varminter has the 24 inch barrel which is not bad but wish it was 22 inch's, because 22 inch's is my personal favorite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like the 20 inch tube for shooting at the different distances for calling. Most shots are less than 200 yards so a 16 will suit just fine. I will still stick with my 20 unless I was in tight calling quarters a lot of the time

Let me say this, And I don't mean to offend anybody.

For hunting I would never go any shorter than 20". The little bit of weight, unless you are out of shape will not affect the average person. People saying "oh it's to heavy" need to start working out.

With a good set of shooting sticks or Bi-pod and i see no problem with either of my 20" and 24" Ar's.

Just think of the soldiers defending this great country, They carry a heck of a lot more weight than out piddly Ar's on a daily basis. 1. They have to. 2 They are in the proper physical shape to allow it.

OneInTheBoiler , your killin' me. I'm 47, can bench almost double my weight, and jog at least 20 miles a week. So respectfully, you should get a clue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Its not a question of being in shape, its using a gun that is quick to swing, and point when a 'yote bombs in at 20 yards weakside.

Tight cover DEMANDS a quick reacting gun. A 10 pound rifle is FAR from handy. Can I tote and shoot a 14 pound AR? Of course, but who the heck would want to? OneInTheBoiler we're talking killin' coyotes bombing in, not bench rest shooting or weight lifting (I do both), and I choose a quick handling gun for sucess. Heavy guns and coyotes are OK out West I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Sorry a 20 inch just does not handle like a 16. A 24 inch AR is a boat anchor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Good hunting, Sleddogg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
Would you choose 16" or 20"? Why?

Yes I would choose either one....a 16" now and a 20" later; or a 20" now and a 16" later.
Who says you can only have one?

If you are worried about weight DTech can build you a 20" as light as a 16"....unless you are talking pencil barrel 16"...which is really, really light.

I know you have a 24" for long range stuff. I think terrain also dictates what you'll use. Where I hunt I can see a minimum of 500 yards out. There will be no busting out at 20 yards. If I were huting that close I think I would choose a shotgun.

I am probably not the norm....but I just recently commissioned DTech to build me an upper chambered in 6x45 with a 20" bull barrel...which should be perfect for my type of terrain with a bi-pod and butt-stock weight. I have a few 16" rifles that just don't get used for predator work. This rifle will be replacing my bolt action .223 with a 24" barrel....those 90 grain 6mm bullets just hit harder at 500 yards with no added recoil.

I'm currently shooting a 20" standard profile barrelled upper and like it alot. I have buddies that I hunt with that also use 16" uppers and a buddy with a 20" full bull barrell. I know that the full bull 20" is pretty nose heavy. I think the standard profile 20" is a good balance. I didn't buy a 16" upper as I hunt in open country and shots can get long and I wasn't sure of the velocity loss between a 16 and 20".

The reason Dtech flutes those 20 inchers so aggressively is because Mike would like to get the weight down, and maintain the ballistic advantage of the 20 incher. Some also prefer the balance of a lightweight 20 incher.

I bet he wouldn't flute if weight just wasn't an issue for us wimpy guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I guess you all don't do much wingshooting ? I find it not a problem with swinging my 20" or 24". Yes the Ar's weigh more than the typical Shotgun. I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

By now means will I bury myself in such thick undergrowth, that I cant freely swing anygun.

I truely believe the weight isssue has been beat to death.

well i guess it is all in what you want.with the 16 you will lose a little velocity, but better balance and manuverability. the biggest thing is knowing your gun. i have a buddy that has taken groundhog out past 300 yards with a 223 encore pistol. you just have to know your gun.

Quote:
OneInTheBoiler , your killin' me. I'm 47, can bench almost double my weight, and jog at least 20 miles a week. So respectfully, you should get a clue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Its not a question of being in shape,

I'm 51 and my couch.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif er, uh bench, weighs almost double my weight and I drive at least 20 miles a week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm happy to hear it's not a question about being in shape /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
I'm 51 and my couch.... er, uh bench, weighs almost double my weight and I drive at least 20 miles a week

I'm happy to hear it's not a question about being in shape

Fal, now your killin' me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

OneInTheBoiler - must be an East vs. West thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Let me say this, And I don't mean to offend anybody...
Just think of the soldiers defending this great country, They carry a heck of a lot more weight than out piddly Ar's on a daily basis. 1. They have to. 2 They are in the proper physical shape to allow it.

I spent my share of time carrying way more than I should have! Ruck runs, forced march /live fires, movements to contact, "humping the pig", stress fractures, bloody raw foot pads, etc., etc.(FIDO)

Now, two broken feet that will not heal. Orthapaedist tells me nothing can be done surgically to repair the bones. Spleen, liver and hemaglobin issuse that cannot be explained. Perscriptin shoes, ADA accommodation issues at work, etc., etc.

Our soldiers have been carrying too much weight forever. The wiz kids in R & D are always trying to lighten the load, but does not work. Just look at all the light weight gear that is being attached to the M4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I am still humping the woods searching for that elusive coyote and an occasional deer, as best I can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Although I have to admit, that my weight is double of what I can bench press. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As I have mentioned in a previous post, 16" AR for me! I have earned that choice!!!

Redhound80

I bought my first AR, a 20" HBAR a long time back. I really like the AR platform for hunting. Since I walk a long way when I hunt, I looked at other AR alternatives to make the long walks a bit easier on the body. I built a 16" LW AR and it's become my favorite rifle for hunting/woods cruising. The 16" AR is light, easy handling and has a quick second shot for doubles. I hunt in pretty tight cover and all of my shots are under 100 yards. In my case, there's not much benefit of the added length/weight. In any event, I always have the HBAR for target shooting or even hunting if I want to use it. MI VHNTR

Back