Getting started?

doe

Was looking at the (Home made call section) man they've got some nice call. Well my ? is what do I need to buy- Howler-Distress call and what else? I'am thinking 1.rabbit distress call and maybe 1.howler O-ya and a yiper or some sort right? That make 3calls is that what i need? anything else? What call will bring'em in? I'm thiking the rabbit distress is on the top next is the yiper right? What should I get first-second-third? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Doe -

I've been hunting coyotes since I was about 30 - I'm 56 now. I use almost nothing but a rabbit in distress call. I used it exclusively for about the first 10 years - first with mouth blown calls then a Johnny Stewart cassette tape caller.

The coyote populations here where I am in eastern Missouri have declines quite a bit in recent years due to a mange epidemic so I've been trying a LOT of other calls trying to bring them in..... Nothing works any better for me than the rabbit in distress.

This call also seems the best at attracting other wildlife... Chickadees, bluejays, hawks, owls, squirrels barking from trees... They all come in to see what's going on!

Next... A lot of people recommend the yellowhammer woodpecker in distress. That's my second most favorite - I'd come to it if I were a coyote! I've had more foxes respond to that one than anything else.

Then... Canine/coyote/fox pup distress. They seem to be forced by their very nature for preservation of speices AND HUNGER to come to that one!

The best bit of advice that I can give you is to be patient. Be Very Patient! In spite off all the success stories you may read here, many of us, depending on the coyote populations in our areas, can spend many, many hours out hunting between coyotes called in. I hunted all last winter and only called in two and only took one. But, for me, it's more just the experience of being out there! There is nothing like watching wildlife and the woods/fields changing through the seasons around you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Or... falling asleep under a tree and taking a nap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good Luck!
me!

Yes Many hours is correct, almost 2 years now and I got 2 Coyotes and Dad missed the one I called in for him and I sill got alot to learn. you only need 2 calls, an open reed distress call and a howler. the open reed distress calls can make various sounds and you talk to the coyotes with a howler. There are plenty good calls out there on the market. What else you will need is lots of practice and don't worry about sounding EXACTLY like the distressed animal, Pretty close is good enough.

t/c223encore.

Count me in with Me....

Keep it simple (callwise) and stick with the distress call until you get some of the other variables such as stand selection and animal behavior figured out first.

Closed reeds are the easiest to use, though open reeds are more versatile.
Pick a call and go hunting. I wouldn't dump a ton of money in to equipment until you get the basics down and figure out that it is really something you want to do. Then the sky is the limit. Actually pick two calls, they freeze up on occasion.

Doe,

I 100% agree with Joe.

"Keep it Simple" is the right approach to calling, IMO. It's the tactic I use when picking calls, rifles, equipment, stands, etc... One can get wrapped up in the complexities and lose focus on the joy of simply calling in a coyote/fox/cat.

I'd suggest getting 1 open reed call and 1 closed reed call, to start. The closed reed is easy to use and user-friendly. Closed reed calls do have their shortcomings when it's gets bitter cold, as well as, a limit on the amount of sounds one can produce. The open reed will give you versatility on sounds and won't freeze when calling in the winter. The open reed does have it shortcomings of a learning curve. But once mastered, it'll be your best friend on stand. You can produce prey sounds, as well as, coyote vocals like Ki-Yi and some limited howling.

I wouldn't invest a bunch of money at this point. Get some handcalling experience under your belt and then add to your arsenal of calls, depending on what you feel is missing, based on your own calling style and experience.

Good luck...

Tony

I agree with what everyone has said in keeping it simple. Another thing you could do is pick up a couple of calling videos and learn a few basics then go out and give it a try. I have only been hunting coyotes a few years and it's amazing how much i've learned from calling, members from this board and watching videos. Good luck too you! Oh, where are you from?? If you are anywhere close I love having an excuse to get out and call.

Back