270 WSM powder and primers

blinddog

I was given a Savage M10 in 270WSM by my daughter and son in law for Xmas. I have put about eighty rounds of differant bullets through it and am ready to start handloading.
Has any of you guys had any experiance loading for this caliber? I plan on 130 and 150 grn bullets for general use and varments. I need some powder and primer choices.
What powders work good and do I need a mag LR primer?

It's not really a varmint load, but I've had excellent results with 140 gr Accubonds and Magpro at near max loads.
My Savage 12 fvss will put this load in at about .5"for 5 shot groups. It seems like most WSM's like Magpro. And yes you will need magnun primers, I use Winchesters.

Thanks I know that the 270 WSM is not really a varment round but there are times when you have to use what you have. I have shot yotes with .22 and 44mag pistols PD's also use what you have I see a coyote and I will shoot it seen to many fawns torn up by them not to.

Blindog,
My M700 likes 66.5gr RL19 w/ 130 NBT, Fed 215M @2.835 OAL.
That's about .015 off the lands in my rifle. It shoots small clusters with that load, and whitetails hit the ground hard! If you're shooting something heavier than deer, try the Accubonds or TSX's. I have not tried any bullets lighter than 130 in my rifle. You could get the 100 grainers to sizzle in a Whizzum!
F1

My Wichester Featherweight Mod 70 in 270 WSM loves MagPro and the Nosler 140 gr Accubond and i use WLRM Primer. Group run 1/2 inch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif MagPRO should be the first powder to try.

Some good info guys, thanks. I'm about to start experimenting with a friend's M-70 in 270 WSM. I already have all the various components listed above, stuff I use for my 270 WBY. I also have a good supply of 130 gr Swift Scirocco IIs and Nosler Ballistic tips. Anybody have any experience with these in the 270 WSM, or the 270 WBY for that matter?

Thanks, Bacova

NBT's shoot 3/4" or better with the load I listed earlier. I have tried the original Scirocco 130's with RL19 and IMR 4350, and if I get lucky, I'll get a 3 shot group around an inch, 1 1/4-1 3/8" is more the norm with the Swift bullets in my Whizzum. YMMV.... I wish Nosler made the accubond in a 130 grain bullet. 130 TSX's have also been somewhat troublesome.
F1

My T3 LS 270WSM shoots 140gr. Accubonds loaded with Retumbo-compressed load, with federal 215 mag primers, winchester supreme brass. Getting under 1'2" or better groups at approx. 3200+ ft/s. I have some 140gr TSX but have yet to reload for it yet....The accubonds perform flawlessly on all big game taken with it here-WT/Mulie/Moose/Elk-all 1 shot kills between 150 and all the way out to 440yrds-My wifes Mulie. All dropped as if hit with a big truck.
I'm waiting to try some Hornady 110gr. Moly Vmax out for wolves and coyotes, when the local shop gets them in. Sure would like to see Winchester release the 150gr XP3 bullet for the 270 out for reloaders!

I will say this about it being a varmint caliber, It is GREAT as a varmint cartrige, a Varmint deserves 140 or 150 grains of loving right in the boiler maker just like Bin Laden dose! Agree!?

Thanks guys aswered most all my questions. Got RCBS dies and ather equipt. I need now i just have to get the components since I live out in the Boonies I guess Midway will be hearing from me

I have shot 110 gr. Sierra's (listed as a deer size game bullet) in my mod 70 and have gotten the best average accuracy so far (under 1/2") I have shot a few 110 v-max's but don't remember the accuracy. I have a box of Hornady 115gr. designed for the 6.8 I am going to try, will report later. I hope they make it to the target! The 110's are a little more comfortable to shoot too, My featherweight must be designed pretty good, recoil hasn't been too much of a factor for me and I'm pretty recoil sensitive. Mine shoots 130 gr. Nosler BT's about 3/4" I use IMR 4350, it works good so I haven't changed.
Just remember when resizing cases to full length resize, if you don't they're pretty hard to close the bolt on. IMHO
lp

I tried that load!! WAAY TOO HOT in my 700, sticky bolt lift, marked headstamp, badly cratered primers....Work up to this one!!
F1

Back