Need powder input

PurpleCoyote

Im almost set to start reloading again. I use to reload for 44mag,, 22-25-,,and others. Im just a novice though and my question is about BLC-2. Ive decided to try this powder to start due to some input from others. This is a ball powder and I was just wandering if thats a good choice and has anyone had any negative results from this powder?
Thanks Daryl Pelfrey

I have not used that BLC-2 I generally use H110 or Unique for the 44 Mag and IMR 4895 or 3031 for the 22-250 but those powders work well in my 30-06 and 223 and 308 and 45-70's also

Im sorry I stated I had loaded for 44 mag and 22-250 but what Im loading now is 204. Thats what the blc-2 is for. I will also start loading for the 243 and 223 which will be diff. The blc2 will do for the 223 also I beleive but the 243 will be diff. powder.
Thanks Daryl P.

BLC2 is a dirty powder, often shoots out a big ball of flames if you have a shorter barrel, not my choice of powder.

What are you loading? .223 perhaps?

Buzz

Im loading 204 ruger. I will start 223 soon. Its funny that you say its dirty cause I saw a thing on TV about firearms and I guess the military had problems with the M16 during Viet Nam due to a ball type powder. So whats good for the 204 and 223? Im not thrilled about using something that fouls quick or is to dirty.
Thanks Daryl P.

Try RL-10 for 204 w/40g , 2015XMR works well in 223 w/50 & 55g. I used IMR4064 for the 243 both 58g & 65g.
These powder yield excellent velocity and even better accuracy for each respective caliber.

I've had good luck with Benchmark out of my .204, I tried the BLC-2 when I first started loading and it didn't shoot near as well.

Gotta go with claimbuster on this one. BL-C2 shot fair outta my 77 in 204, but wow, that W748 is just the cat's meow for me. It shot really well. As for the 243, I worked up a sweet load for the Rem. 700 with 58 gr. v-max pills and Varget powder. Hey Buzzbee, try Varget with those 58 grainers in your 243, you may like it.

It's amazing how many different people have different experiences with the same caliber. I have a Savage in .204 Ruger and started with H335 - couldn't get it to group smaller than 1.5" at 100yds. I switched to 28.5gr of BL-C(2) with a 40gr Vmax and got 3 shots to under a 1/4" center-to-center.

My son's .223 groups best with BL-C(2) with 60gr Vmax bullets as well.

And I haven't noticed any more fouling with one than the other - even after shooting prairie dogs for 3 days.

So many different experiences from so many shooters - no wonder some new shooters claim to be confused!

I'd say try a couple different powders if you can, and then different loads of each powder. On these small calibers as much as .5gr can make a huge difference in tightening the groups.

Good luck,
ScottC

I have had good luck with 26.0gr.of H4895 pushing a 39 grain Sierra Blitzking. It is not temperature sensitive. Some people have reported differences between cans of Reloader powder.

Quote:
I saw a thing on TV about firearms and I guess the military had problems with the M16 during Viet Nam due to a ball type powder.
Thanks Daryl P.

The problem they had with M-16 was not due to the powder.The rifle was built to tight for battlefield condishions.The rifle would jam with mud,sand and yes powder.And that was the sp-1 they then can out with the A-1 then the A-2.They both had dust covers and bolt assest.But a lot of GIs would pick up a AK-47 bacause they did not jam and the had 30 round mag to our 20 round mag.
I like to use Varget for some of my 223 and 22-250 and also IMR 4064.

AZ Varmint
BL-C(2)™ is a spherical powder that began as a military powder used in the 7.62 NATO, commonly known as the 308 Winchester. When it was first introduced to the handloader, benchrest shooters and other target shooters made it an instant success. BL-C(2) works extremely well in the 223 Remington, 17 Remington, 22 PPC and of course, the 308 Winchester, plus many more.
Hodgdon Powder

Thanks Clint.

28 grains of h4895, and a 32 grain v/max, rem 7 1/2 primer.You may find you need the stronger primer in most of the hotter .204 loads.

Savage99, I have tried Varget in my gun. I get 70fps slower than the 4064 and accuracy is just so so. However, my 6BR digest Varget very well with the 65g.

"When it was first introduced to the handloader, benchrest shooters and other target shooters made it an instant success."

When the BL-C(not2)first came out, if was just the BLC or some refering to as the BLC1, that's a great powder and was an instant scucess among the benchrest chooters, if you can find any of the BL-C today, you better hold on to it, I've seen people paid up to $80/lb 10~15 years ago. Hodgdon tried to ride on the coat tail of BLC's scucess with the BLC2, which they claim it's the same, in that case why call it BLC-2 ??
BLC-2 may be good for 223 in the early 80s, but there are way better powder selection for the 223 now days. My biggest complain is I find it to be very dirty, I certaintly would not put if through an AR. But that is just me and your exprience may differ
Buzz

Quote:
BLC-2 may be good for 223 in the early 80s, but there are way better powder selection for the 223 now days. My biggest complain is I find it to be very dirty

It can be dirty but I've found that the closer you load it to Max the cleaner it burns. I use a lot of it and near Max. I find that it is totally acceptable and very accurate.

i have had real good luck with the blc-2 in the 204.i have the xr100 204.the blc-2 was the only powder that would get the veloicty up where it was surposed to be.i started out with h322. benchmark. and others.they all shot good groups but the velosity at max loads was only around 3200-3300.dont know why.got on the phone with walt berger.after about 3 days of trying diff things we come up with the blc-2.was about ready to pull my hair out.in 30 years of reloading have never run in to this problem.the only thing we could come up with is my rifle has alot of free bore.the load i am using is a max load.i am not the only person that has had this problem.so make sure you have a chronograph to check your loads in the making.

Back