fogged up glasses HELP!

daveyboy

I was hoping somebody that wears glasses in the cold and has them fog up has some type of solution to stop it.I've tried a couple of different anti-fog solutions and ha,the joke was on me.Azcowboy76 and I were up in the cold this last weekend and I ended up flinging off my glasses cuz I couldn't see crap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .Hey before I did maybe thats why he was doing all the shooting :rolleyes: .I had heard somewhere that soap worked but I havent tried it.Any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks and take care,daveyboy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry to be a smarty on this reply but I can't help it...

Last May I went and spent $4000 on some expensive custom lasic surgury and that solved everything!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am 53, I did Lasik last year, 2000$, best money I ever spent.
I could not read the huge freeway signs, now I can spot yotes at 300 yards. I wore glasses most of my life, and am FAR sighted.
think about it.
Carl

Well there's 2 votes for lasik but in the meantime is there any solution that you can put on your glasses that will keep them from fogging up in the cold.And I have thought about lasik,I have a couple of friends who had it done.One now has perfect vision,the others vision is worse than before he had it done.I know you need to check out your doctor before you do anything that might be irreversable.Now back to my original question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif any help out there.thanks,daveyboy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Believe it or not but shaving cream works real good.(you are old enough to shave. Right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )
Just apply to the lenses and let dry a little bit and rub off.
Also works for scopes and bathroom mirrors.

Daveyboy,
Is it the contrast in temp that fogs up your glasses or is it your breath when you exhale when wearing a face mask?
I have been trying to find a cure for fogged up glasses for ten years, and I have tried every commercial and home product I can think of. Some products will work for a couple of hours but most only last a matter of minutes. I work in a freezer so I deal with -20 degrees everyday. There is nothing that will work for contrast in temp fogging, like one side of your glasses is -20 degrees but the glass is up against your skin that has 98 degree body heat coming in contact with it. I have found that if I am sitting still and not "working up a sweat" the fog will evaporate in about 5 minutes. One way to help this is to slide your glasses about a quarter inch down the bridge of your nose to get them away from your body heat.
If it is your breath causing the fog, cut a hole in all of your face masks so you can exhale with out having to worry about being blinded by fog at the worst possible time.

Hope this helps, and if you do ever find something that works, please let me know. I would love to give it a try.

Originally posted by smallblockfuelie:
[qb]Apply a very light coat of dish washing detergent (Dawn, Joy, etc) and let it dry. That will do the trick![/qb]
Thats what we do with our SCBA masks in my fire department,it does work.

daveyboy,

I know you live in the desert and so do I but at least in your are you should be able to find a SCUBA dive shop. When I was diving they sold a soluation to stop fogging, I don't know what is was but it had an idoine smell. Worked good though, might give a dive shop a try.

Sorry I can't remember the name of the stuff.

Biker

I've had the same problem and found a cleaner and de-fogger at the drugstore, eye care section.

This is it, says anti-fogging on it.

Anti-fogging

Other stores may have their own brands.

Good luck and good hunt'n.

Hey guys,thanks to you all for the help on being in the fog /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and what to do to clear it up.Yes it is my breath that fogs up the glass when I'm on stand and the temps are cold.Unfortunatly I am way old enough to shave and that is a pain in the butt at times but I do have a lot of shaving cream /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .thanks for all the tips,I should be able to use them at the pm hunt.It looks like this desert rat will be hunting in the snow at times.take care,daveyboy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just went to the site that SavTxCajun posted...noticed the item says it contains isapropal alcohol....I have 3 GALLONS of the stuff 99.9% pure. And here I been going around with foggy glasses on those early morn hunts

Spit is the best anti-fog chemical. It works for divers in cold water. I have found the commercial stuff may not fog, but turns your glasses to water. I do not cover my mouth, and if I should get a little vapor on them, it will evaporate very quickly, or breath thru my nose. I use a face mask w/o a nose cover. Of course I don't hunt in real low temps to begin with here in TX, but fogging is still a problem sometimes.
Motorcycle and dive shops carry some good stuff.

Here ya go........This should do it...

PotomacEmergencyGasMask.jpg

I’ve used glycerin soap for several years, but found that Am-way’s eye glass & anti-fog spray works very well. These miniature sprays are about the size of Chap Stick and last quite a while. Cost is about $4.00 per spray; I don’t hunt with out doing my glasses and carry one just in case. Usually do a shot to my scope lens, binoculars ect. Never have a problem with fogging up.

Buck

I’ve used glycerin soap for several years, but found that Am-way’s eye glass & anti-fog spray works very well.

Buck

Breath caused fogging, when riding snowmobiles we used a mask called nofog, made out of neoprene, has a long piece of the stuff that forces the breath down away from your glasses, wore it under my helmet at minus 30 degrees and no fog, covers the chin and cheeks also and was warm to wear. has an elastic band that goes over the top of your head and attaches on the back with hook and loop (velcroe)

dannyk, I had a look at that mask, but i can't tell if there is an opening for your mouth, to use a hand call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Back