Top 5 coyote hunting states?

Quote:
I would say its easy to figure out just look at the trapping harvest reports and hides sold in each state. At you'r local department of wildlife.

Do not think that has anything to do with the top state. Simply cause some states like CO do not have trapping at all. So despite good hunting the numbers will be low. Also your assuming that everyone who hunts would turn it into fur. There are several yotes a year that get shot and left due to many reasons. Your reply would surely help indicate top fur state!!!

Quote:
Just a rumor but I heard from reliable sources they were going to put the coyote on the endangered speices list because there were so few of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

And here I was going along thinking that only cockroaches and coyotes would live through a nuclear war /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif.

I will throw in my votes (in order) for: WY, TX, NM, SD, NE/CO.

Heck, I had to go out to New Mexico last year just to find enough coyotes to have a decent hunt. There are NO COYOTES left in TEXAS. Everyone should just go on out to NM and AZ, since they are extinct around here.

I have hunted from Burlington to Grand Junction and from Walden to Alamosa there aint no stinken coyotes in Colorado! I just wish hunters would turn off thier callers at night so I can sleep!

Well, I've called CA, AZ and Nevada. Nevada is shot out. Havnt been to AZ in almost 20 years so I couldnt say how its going down there.
California is also shot out. Especially the northeast corner of the state!
My best day calling ever was in California.
Too bad all the coyotes are gone from here and Nevada.
The coyote populations around here and northwest Nevada are so low that they will probably not recover their former populations in any of our lifetimes.
You guys will have to find a new obsession.

If you are looking to hunt the coyote Texas isn't going to be on the top five list due to restricted access..

Almost all our land is private and one must work at getting permission to hunt the private land here.

I am not saying that it can't be done, but it is a far cry from going out further west such as Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, or Nevada and pulling over and going hunting in some places...

And don't be fooled by all that National Forrest land either.. A lot of it takes Type II permits to hunt and for that you have to pay.. Then you have to wait for about 4-5 weeks for them to send you a list and maps of the areas that can be hunted and what is legal game in those areas....

Now if you have a pocket full of cash then all things change.

Good luck.....James L.

James L. you said a mouth full buddy, it's getting to be all about MONEY in some places even for Coyotes.
I've lived in the west and southwest all my life, I keep seeing new laws and more land cut off to hunting all the time.
National Forest? does not the word National mean it belongs to all of us? If so, then why do we have to pay to go on our own land?
The answer is, money in someones pocket.....It's a free country only if you pay.

I would have to say Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif ... and the 1st. 3 have a good amount of Grey's and cats too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif.... Yeah nothing like Texas for all around night hunting for predators /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif .... its called get to become good friends with the local ranchers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif ....

Having lived in Colorado for 5 years I rated it number one. If they still have all the free and basically unfettered access to all the National Forests and BLM land it's gonna be pretty hard to beat.

You can hunt them in almost any kind of terrain and situation you want and find all you can shoot and rarely have to ask for permission or pay.

Florida has a lot of coyotes and public lands to hunt but the brush is so dang thick you rarely see them before YOU'RE BUSTED!!!

I also like New Mexico's public lands and have hunted but little in Wyoming but it sure looked good and a lot of public land.

Nebraska is kinda like Texas with mostly private land and back to permission only hunting.

I haven't traveled as much as a lot of people here but I sure like Colorado for coyotes if public access is as good as it was in the mid 80's.

$bob$

I suppose a fella would have to ask not only "how many" but "how big" - that being the case, you'd find the big ones in ND, MT & ID in the lower 48. If you can tolerate the cold, you can bag some big ones. I've been hunting coyotes for three years now and the most important thing I've learned - it doesn't matter how many coyotes you have if you don't know how to hunt 'em.

I would have to put KS in there. I just got back from a 4 day hunt and saw around 25 coyotes. Thats more than I see all year here. I'll post the story and some pictures later in the predator hunting section.

I know it's not a state, but I just got back from Saskatchewan and I have never seen that many coyotes in my life.

Idaho,Idaho,Idaho,Idaho,ow and Idaho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

CA one of the worst states?? Not by a long shot. CA is overlooked (luckily) by almost everyone, but those of use who live here and know the spots can tell you that we have some of the best hunting around.

I travel to TX once a year and as far as a target rich environment, I would have to say TX is pretty close to the top. But don't dismiss CA for the great night hunting and quality cats rank pretty high on the list..

Back