Never night hunted, could anyone give instruct me

I started a month ago and was unsuccessful so here are some tips.

-Dont forget the light like I did.
-Dont hunt in an area where people can hear the scream of your jackrabbit call and call the police on you like they did to me.
Stay for more than 15-20 minutes before calling it a night like I did.

Chris, here are a few tips to help you get started on some fox.
#1 Get a Johnny Stewart cassette tape with a sound compatible to the area you plan to hunt,(my fav is grey fox pup in distress or red/grey fox fight and cottontail in distress) 10.00 for the tape most places
#2 Pick a gun, shotgun and .22 mag are my personal choices, but there are many that will do as well and better, but for a beginner this is a fairly cheap way to start.If you use a shotgun,try some different loads and see what patterns best for your gun, I use #2's or #4's (leftover steel from duck season...lol)
#3 If hunting during daylight get some camo, if hunting at night no need to.
#4 If hunting is legal at night get yourself a red light, you can find them in most hunting catologues.
#5 Now find a location to call from and be ready, most grey fox come blazing in within 15 minutes, reds usually are slower and more wind cautious. Start off calling softly and work to a higher volume, this way you don't spook any close animals out of the area.
Have fun and be safe....hope this is of some help to you....Brad

Hi Chris,
You might ought to check the regulations on night hunting in Iowa. Last I knew it was illegal. Comes under the use of a artificial light.
Happy Holidays
John

chris,
in Iowa it is illegal to hunt at night with an artifitial light except when an animal is treed with the aid of dogs.get yourself a copy of the DNR regulations and read them thoroughly.or go to your local library and look in the IOWA CODE for complete rules and regulations.hate to see you get in trouble.

Back