weapon

jeffo

Due to limited budgets my only choices for a coyote gun is one I already have. I have a .22 which I think is too small, a 30-30 and a .308, both of which are probably overkill. I will probably use the .308. Should I use the bolt action or semi-auto, or doesn't it matter? Like I said in my last post, I'm new to this type of hunting, spending most of my time in the bow or gun stand for deer.

jeffo

I'm pretty new to this kind of hunting too but I can tell you that whichever .308 you are most accurate with is the one to use. Unless you are saving hides I don't think you can have overkill, can't kill them too dead
wink.gif

I wish you luck and welcome to Predator Masters.

I would go with the .308 in a quality bolt action rifle topped with a variable power scope somewhere in the neighborhood of 3x9x40mm. and make sure that too is quality.

As far as ammo selection goes, I would stick with a light weight HP or Ballistic Tip bullet if your out just to have fun because these bullets may not be too fur freindly depending on where you hit em'

When I first started hunting coyotes I was using a .30-06 with 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Can you say "Rip N Shred"? If you want to save hides and must use a 30 cal rifle, a soft more fragmentable bullet will work better. If you reload I would encourage you to try some of the Hornady 110 grain spire point or v-max (available at Midway). They are not built the same as a Nosler BT and will frag better. Otherwise use loaded ammo with a relatively light weight and a soft or hollow point will probably work the best. Good hunting!!!

**disclaimer-I love Nosler bullets
biggrin.gif

------------------
Matt/Spinner

I wouldn't use the .22. The .308 or even the 30-30 will sork fine. Use what you are comfortable and familiar with.

Back