Free Floating Pre-64 Model 70

I have used it to tune the accuracy of my pre64 .270 with good results. I found that tightening the screw down snug and then backing it off about 1/4 turn worked for my gun.

Others say that their rifles shoot best with the screw removed completely. Probably depends a lot on the ammo.

The reason that screw is there is to allow for accuracy tuning--or so I'm told.

Experiment with it. But don't alter the rifle permanently, of course.

Dan

Dan's had good luck with his in, I've had my best luck with the screw out! one 243 FWT has the action and an inch or so of barrel bedded, and I floated the rest of the forend. An 06 standard is fully glassed with around seven pounds of pressure glassed into the forend. It's my most dependable rifle, it hasn't changed POI from sight in, in over 40 years. The only time it's been sighted in is when the scope has been upgraded!
My 264 just didn't need the screw, shoots well as is.
In addition to removing the screw, I removed the lug that dovetails into the "dog knot"(never heard it described as such, it's fitting..) I keep them in a safe place with the screws, really safe...from me anyway, I can't find them!
F1

"I keep them in a safe place with the screws, really safe...from me anyway, I can't find them!"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Dan's had good luck with his in, I've had my best luck with the screw out! one 243 FWT has the action and an inch or so of barrel bedded, and I floated the rest of the forend. An 06 standard is fully glassed with around seven pounds of pressure glassed into the forend. It's my most dependable rifle, it hasn't changed POI from sight in, in over 40 years. The only time it's been sighted in is when the scope has been upgraded!
My 264 just didn't need the screw, shoots well as is.
In addition to removing the screw, I removed the lug that dovetails into the "dog knot"(never heard it described as such, it's fitting..) I keep them in a safe place with the screws, really safe...from me anyway, I can't find them!
F1

Good Stuff, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

The M-70 is .243 Win and maybe try it with the screw in the dog knot if not then will remove it but hate to put a screw driver to the action screws as their untouched to remove the dovetail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gifIt's a low mileage high condition so not eager to mess it up, just shoot it

Yep, that's the old name for the rear sight post on the M-70 standard "Dog Knot"

Hogin,
By all means, shoot it first! You may not need to do anything to it! If you don't have them already, buy yourself a good set of hollow ground gunsmith screwdrivers! It's a lot harder to bugger up screws when you use screwdrivers that really fit the slots in the screwheads. Play with the tension on all the guard screws to see what groups best. Remember, tighten the front screw first and tightest, then the rear screw behind the trigger. Don't tighten the middle screw much past snug, then back it off a smidge. You don't want the action to flex!
Good luck,
F1

I have always been able to make them shoot without floating the barrel, although they can be finicky. Snug up the screw and find a load that it likes. Especially if the stock is original. Another option is to buy a synthetic stock. They often come ready to float w/o the screw hole on the dog knot. I've got a Mcmillan that was fitted and floated. In any case, I wouldn't alter the stock especially if its in good shape.

Back