Any one shootin 58 Grn V-max in the .243

Al_Hansen

I have been shooting the Rem Varmint Master .243 for the last 15 years. I have used the 87 Grn. Hornady BTHP and had spectacular results. I switched to the Rem. bulk bullets in 80 Grn. HP to save a few bucks, but I'm really not happy with the groups. Sometimes one holers and sometimes about .5-1.00. I bought a couple of the Savages in .223 and began using the 60 Grn V-Max bullets with spectacular results, not only groups but the hits themselfs. Soooo, the question is: If your shooting the 58 Grn V-Max in .243 what powder and charge weights are you using ? Ok don't worry , I've been at this long enough to understand the difference in guns and starting loads. I just don't want to go out and buy 5 cans of different powders. Any info would be appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif Oh, primary use, of course p-dogs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I shoot the 58 gr. v-max.46.5 gr. of H414.About 4050FPS.Out of Rem 700 and Savage 12.Both these Rifle shoot them real good.About .500 at 100 yds.This is one heck of a Coyote round.Hope this helps.

Thank you gentlemen for the replys. I'll keep an eye on the thread for awhile and see if anyone agrees or if there other powders that are performing well with that bullet.

I'll be the odd man out. Got three .243s and none of them like the lightweight bullets under 70 grains. Could be the throating, although two were chambered by different gunsmiths and one is a factory barrel. Could be the twist since all three are 1-10" twist.
Saying that, all three like both the Sierra 85gr HP and the Hornady 87gr V-Max. Sub 1/2" groups with Varget powder.
Hope you have better luck than I did.

my 243 loves the factory hornady load with the 58g vmax so much so that i quit reloading for it and am now just keepingthe brass for the day i run out of the loaded ammo...

Al-- I don't use my M77 Ruger .243 very often, but I do reload the 58 gr. V-Max bullets for it to use on prairie dogs. I am currently using 45.0 gr. of Varget as my load. The velocity I am getting with this load is 3,611 fps at 12 feet from the muzzle. This bullet sure does a number on prairie dogs!!! Last year I only shot 6 shots with the 58 gr. V-Max in the .243 and killed 8 prairie dogs!!! I got 4 singles and two doubles with those 6 shots.

At the rate I'm shooting these 58 gr. V-Max bullets it will take me about 40 years to use up the 250 bullets in that Varmint Pack!!!!

I've had good luck in several .243's using book max. loads of H380 with the 58 Vmax, as well as the 55's from Sierra and Nosler. Velocities over 4000 fps (even from a 22" barrel, getting 4100+ from a 26" barrel) and accuracy as good as anything else in those three rifles.

- DAA

I too have had excellent results with factory Hornady Varmit Express 58 grain V-max. I believe the listed muzzle velocity is 3750 fps.

These have grouped nicely in both my NEF and Rem. 788 and have accounted for quite a few coyotes and bobcats this year with excellent results. Nothing went over a 10 steps (one bobcat the rest dropped in their tracks) and fur damage was minimal. Many did not exit at all. The Hornady factory loads are moly coated.

Back