Which time of day is best

(most) Predators are nocternal, they hunt all night, so usually the morning, because they often hunt into the morning and are getting pretty hunry and worn out if they haven't eaten. Late evenings can be great too, but you can be productive around the clock. I'd say EEEEEEARLY mornign though. The first stand of the day probably brings 30-50% of the varmints we've called.

BM is correct. But don't take it to mean that the only time you can call 'em in is early or late. Onefoot and I saw 3 and killed one of them last week at 2:00 P.M. To realize the most opportunities to shoot coyotes, you need to get out there at first light, and hunt through the day until last light. If there's one thing I have figured out about coyotes, it's that you are never gonna figure out coyotes. They pretty much do what they want, when they want.

Anytime you can get out and call is a good time to do it. I dont think coyotes have a set schedual they go by. I have called them about all times of the day.

------------------
Nothing worse than a coyote friendly gun!!!

In Arizona the coyotes tend to regroup into their family units as much as an hour or two before light. They are most vocal then, singing their reveille and group howls. They seem to remain together at least for an hour or two after light. That first stand at dawn is the most likely for me to bring in multiples. Later they seem to drift off their seperate ways, mousing, napping or just being coyotes, and usually they respond to my calls singlely or in pairs. That first stand is especially important to me during the full moon. Just my experience, everyone elses may be different.

------------------

Rich Higgins

Mike has it right. Start early and go till dark. When I first started out the "old hands" told us that there was no use calling in west Texas after 10 AM. Too hot. I didn't get a thing till I started calling all day and figured out that at during that time of year they came in best from noon till 3. Don't ask me why.
You can sit on the couch or be out calling, no choice there.

------------------
"Go out early, come home late. Call all day."

Another thing you can do is check the Solunar Tables. Most will tell you when the best times for hunting/fishing activity is. I've actually seen this information first hand during the rut last month. For example, when the Solunar Tables said the peak activity would be around 1:00 PM, I noticed the most activity around then. Actually, I checked the times I saw the most activity and then checked the tables when I got in that evening. The tables were very accurate. I've found them on the web and "Field and Stream" magazine.

Anytime you can hunt is better than watching the fire burn.
The 1st stand in the morning is the best.Late afternoon is ok.If it is cloudy and cold I hunt all day.

Back