Total disrespect

coyotestalker

Well, my partner and I went out today. The first two stands produced nothing. On the third stand, we called for a little bit and saw nothing. We sat tough and kept scoping the area out and all of a sudden I spotted a yote sitting with his back to us about 650 yds out. He was over looking a big ravine. We tried calling a few times, but all he would do is turn around look at us and then turn around again and sit down with his back to us. Talk about no respect. Well we decided that my partner would slip down through the draw that we were sitting in and sneek up the other side where he would be a couple 100 yds closer. I kept an eye on the yote just in case he decided to take off. Well just as my partner was getting into shooting position, the yote decided to take a walk. I jumped on the cottontail call and the yote came back to the top of the hill and looked back at me. My partner took careful aim at what looked to be about 400 yds and let one rip. I saw the yote drop and roll around. I thought dang what a nice shot. Then I heard the unmistakeable sound of laughter. I thought it was my partner, but then I watched the yote get up, point a paw at my partner and laugh again. The yote then trotted off, laughing all the way over the next hill. Just kidding Yote'caller. It was a good attempt. I bet the next one will not be so lucky.

coyotestalker

You have more restraint that I do
smile.gif
I think on a still shot, I'd be tempted to take a poke. Have I ever hit anything that far? No. Have I ever shot at anything that far? No. But if it was just sitting there, and wouldn't come in... I think I'd get real solid on a bench...take a few deep breaths...hold it in, settle the hairs and...MISS!! haha, but ya couldn't say I didn't try:p
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
We don't get alot of long range shots at varmints here, or alot of still ones. So I'd be real tempted
biggrin.gif

Normally the yotes don't just sit there with there backs turned to us. Either they are running away, coming in, or laying there dead. More times than not, if they come in, they are laying there dead. Yote'caller is my coyote hunting partner and in most cases he don't miss. On rare instances I have seen him miss, but that is usually only on shots over 500 yds. If you guy's were to see him shoot prairiedogs, you would not believe it. I think he is out of practice alittle though because we have not shot pdogs in a while. Maybe we need to go back down a wack a few.

I had my 243 with 70gr Hornady's and he was using his 223 with 55 gr fmj. He won't use them any more. He has an awesome load for 68 gr. Hornady's he is going to be using.

We will be going out here again this weekend and I will post pic's of our coyotes we get.

coyotestalker

No worries coyotestalker
smile.gif
You guys have probably shot more dogs than I've seen this year..it's a sad sad year here. Supposedly the predators are ruining the game herds, coyotes, wolves and bear, but we can't seem to find all these evil predators this year...well, maybe with my new gear, and this cold spell we'll get something this weekend.

Hey Daryl, whataya mean *sorta*?!?! You're with me or you're against me:p
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
haha.
wink.gif

I use a .243 too. But we've always got the .22-250, and the 6mm with us. For this shot I'd use the 6mm. It's got alot of long-range "umgh" and the scope on it is insane! Crank that bad-boy to 12 power and let one rip...prolly still miss, but I'm starved for action this year
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the compliment coyotestalker. That coyote just had my number. Estimating range is usually easy for me, but when in unfamiliar area, it is a little more difficult. As for the 55 fmj's- "They are history!" I've only got 380 of them to pull out tonight and then load a couple hundred 68 HPBTM's or 75gr. AMAX. Then the 223 will shoot just fine. As for hunting the Minot area, we're planning a trip soon before the big day. I'll be using the 300Win Mag as backup with 168hpbtm's. Yote' caller

Back