cheapest 22 magnum rifle

AR-MAN

I am looking for some advice guys. I am wanting to get a 22mag rifle before next coon season but am low on funds. Too many things at home that need to get fixed so no money for guns. I would love to have a semi auto but figure that is probably not in the price range right now. I know I can go to Walmart and buy a Marlin bolt for around $170.00. Any other ideas? I would have no problem buying a used rifle but it seems everyone wants more than I can get the above rifle for. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Mike

watch gunbroker and try to pick up either a cheap used savge or marlin. Alos try hitting up your local pawn shops.

Hey Mike send me a PM so I can respond. Im just getting use to using this feature and can respond but havent figured out how to send a new PM. I can help you out and get you a like new Marlin 22 mag and at a very good price I hope.
Daryl Pelfrey

The walmart marlins are fine. I have one in the lamanite version and I love it. But if you want something a little on the higher end you might want to check out gun broker, you can find a lot of really good deals on there.

Go with the Marlin at WalMart; you'll be very happy with it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Get a wooden stock for best accuracy.

Stay away from the synthetic stocked versions of rifles like the Marlin and Savage. To keep the costs in line, they use inexpensive materials and the stocks are somewhat flimsy.

Be sure the version you get is drilled and tapped so you can attach a Weaver-style scope base and not depend on the grooved receiver.

By the time you get done paying shipping and receiving FFL fees, you can buy at WalMart less expensively than on GunBroker.com and know exactly what you're getting.

Raccoons are pretty hardy animals... I limit my shots to under 75 yards. I've tried both the Winchester Super-X 40 grain HP's and the Remington 33 grain V-max's in my 77/22. While the V-Max's were slightly more accurate on paper, I got better results on groundhogs and raccoons with the Super-X loads.

me!

415214.jpg

I'd vote for the Marlin Bolt also. My 883 shoots the above greybox really good, but off & on with anything else I've tryed(all cci, win, & fed oferings). The 'ol 22mag has a pretty decent pop to it. You will be pleased with prefomance on coon/fox sized animals

I can vouch for the Marlin bolt rifles. Bought mine 21 years ago at K-mart for $98.00 & have taken countless critters with it. Still shoots great groups & have had zero malfunctions.

HS

One other thought...

The 900-series Marlin has an adjustable trigger and Savage now has their Accu-trigger on newer models. Now that these are available, I wouldn't buy an older model.....

me!

One more vote on the Marlin bolt.
Used it for squirrel, possum, racoon, groundhog, fox, etc. Plinking, taught my kids to shoot with it. It can stay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Oh yeah it likes most 40gr pills but the supremes are slick to.

Thanks for all your help guys. Anyone heard of a Winchester model 275 22mag? It is a pump. Are they good reliable shooters?
Thanks, Mike

i have the wal-mart marlin model 25mn and have shot several thousand rouds without any probs and very accurate. i use cci hollowpoints.

Acadamy will beat wally world, if you have them around there.

As far as used guns go, a shop here in town, Winchester Gallery, has excellent deals on used 22 LR and mags, can get one for 150 easy, that will be a good reliable gun. They have one of those winchester pumps, but i have never used or heard anything about them. Good luck

Great info guys. I feel real confortable going with one of the marlins. For those of you that shoot coons with them, is it usually one shot to the head and it's over?
Thanks, Mike

Back