Any luck with a boat for calling?

I've called them in, at night, while fishing on the lake, in the summer time, around here we can't hunt at night or carry a firearm, in a state park, It would be nice to go down a river and call on a boat.

I haven't called them yet using a boat, but I will soon. Using a boat for any kind of hunting is the cats meow. You can get deeper into the wood than approaching from a road. You can do it quieter. You can select which side of the river to call from (or lake). Keep water in mind even after it freezes. When things freeze over, you can really get in close to some of the brushier areas used by fox and bobcat. I've seen several fox this way while deer hunting but it never worked out to devote a paddle to just predator calling. Soon!
Merry Christmas
Robert:)
I mention this in my home page: http://home.gwi.net/~robmwd/predator.htm

[This message has been edited by RobertInMaine (edited 12-24-2001).]

Just the other day I did a scouting trip checking sand bars for sign, and found a few coyote & one set of bobcat tracks along the banks of a slow moving river. I may go back and give it a try this week. I have a 15' square stern canoe with a 5hp on it, up stream it will do 7-8 mph and down 14-15 mph.

Havn't done it in a while but in the past the best way to do it was to run upstream for a few hours then drift it back down with a trolling motor. You could spot all the way down for coons between stands if you had a extra battery.

Thought about putting a hight chair in it but I think i'd better have some pontoons on it first. LOL

------------------

Keep your hooks sharp and you powder dry.
Wildoats

"The expactations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools."
Confucius

While motoring down sream here in WA last summer I saw a very red yote on the bank. He was about 40yds or so. I headed toward the bank and the brush came alive with dogs. I counted 4 adults and about 3 pups. When I landed you would have to see to belive all the tracks. It must of been there summer hangout. No gun in boat just fishing. Nice to see.

I know some guys that have killed boat loads of coon doing this. But It's Illegal to shoot fur bears out of a boat in Indiana

Unfurtunatly, it is illegal to shoot with a rifle across any highway or waterway in this state. Otherwise, I would be doing it. I think a guy could really get away from much human activity or traffic by boat no doubt. Excellent idea.

------------------
Nothing worse than a coyote friendly gun!!!

In the summertime when i would go out spearing, we would see plenty of coons on the back and even one swimming across the river. I went out the other evening and had to use the trolling motor to get to the stands. Non of the motor's would start. I encountered 2-3 foot white caps. Man was that fun... water splashing over the front.Well thanks for the information everyone. Have a safe Christmas.
Merry Christmas everyone>
Mike

As a follow-up to what I wrote before, I wouldn't consider actually hunting FROM a canoe or boat, but rather, use the canoe for transportation to some of the out-of-the-way areas. I'm sure this would be legal in any state. Just make sure that you bring a change of WARM clothes at least double-bagged and securely fastened to the boat as well as fire-making material in case of an emergency. As well, make sure that you securely fasten your firearm to the boat. If the boat upsets it's nearly impossible to lose a boat, but way too easy to lose a rifle.
Shoot safe
Robert

Back