Looking for some thoughts....

HuntAllDay

We went out calling yesterday and had some ideal set-ups where we spotted coyotes in the distance with binoculars, and then snuck up to within 5-600 yards of them before calling. They had no idea we were around, and were just doing there thing mousing out in the fields and bottoms.

I know that they were hearing our calls because they would stop what they were doing and look our direction. As soon as the calling sequence was over they would go right back to hunting. My biggest question is, is it normal for a majority of the coyotes that you call to to simply ignore the calls? And if so why?

All that we could think is that these coyotes must have had plenty of food and no reason to spend the extra energy to come to the calls. We are going back out on Monday and I was hoping that you guys could give me some advice on getting some more of these dogs in, or just some insight on this situation. Having coyotes spotted on a set-up just seems like to valuable of a situation to not capitalize on more often.

Thanks in advance!!

1 thing to consider is if the dogs don't react, and u can still see them, is to watch them for awhile-- a lot of times they'll give u an opportunity to get closer, possibly as a stalk situation, or to squeak them in once u get within couple hundred yards. If u have coyotes located, although it may take more time to get them than moving to another stand in a different area, you'll probably have a better chance of getting 1 or 2 buy improvising something. If there's 1 rule in coyote hunting it's gotta be-- adapt, and improvise to overcome. If the dogs move out, watch where they go, and go after them, and set up a stand close to where u last saw them. Howl some as well (calling's ace-in-the-hole), and mix up your calling by learning a lot of different distress calls/techniques. Here's what happened to me when i went out today-- i only had half the day, so i went out close to a rancher's headquarters where there's always some coyote activity. I sat on the edge of an old dike, and started glassing the opposite slope across from a big frozen pond. Sure enuf, i spotted 1 that was moving into some short cattails aways out. There was no way to get closer without being spotted there, so i just watched him. He eventually made a big circle and ended up close to the spot i 1st saw him (20 minutes). Soon the rancher drove up, and i waived him down to talk to him for awhile. When he left, i walked back to my glassing stand, and looked for the dog, which i couldn't locate, so i howled , and shortly saw a copuple dogs on the far ridge just hunting along. All of a sudden i see this original coyote come out of the cattails right on the frozen pond, not concerned in the slightest about the howl. I just watched him waiting for him to do something that would allow me an opportunity. He starts to parallel the bank, and eventually followed it all the way around to about 300 yds. I layed down and squeaked a couple times, and he came in to 60 yds. or so, and i shot him-- not really calling, stalking, but watching to see if some situation presented itself to kill this dog, and it finally did. Improvise baby, improvise.

I agree with sscoyote on changing up your calls if you don't get much of a reaction out of them. Another thing too that I have found that right after deer season or during they seem not to be as interested as they are getting a regular diet of gut piles and always seem to know right where to go to get them. Don't know where you are but I do notice it here.

Ditto what sscoyote said. Exact situation happened to me friday a.m. My son and I had made several sets that morning with no responce. We were driving to some open prarie and saw several coyotes on the way.(very cold and alot of activity) While walking into this area I spotted a coyote at about 800 yds mousing. We were not at a good spot to set up, but further walking would chance being busted. My son laid flat, and I sat down and set my rifle in the shooting sticks. He did not respond to a mouse squeek, so I tried my tweety muffled till it looked my way. Again very little interest. I watched through the scope hopeing the coyote would work closer. No luck. I then tried a lonesome howl with one or two barks. That got his attention, and a second appeared from behind him. I then increased the volume on my tweety and here he comes. The second dog stayed back 100 yards or so and walked slowly, but #1 got to around 160 steps, stopped stood on its hind legs(trying to figure out what I was, I was sitting in the middle of the prairie). I fired and could not see impact(22-250) The other coyote did a 180 and ran over the hill. The first had been struck between the fron legs as he stood on his hind legs. A nice male. The point is, mix it up, but don't over do it. Finally the right combination got his attention, without spooking him off.

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately where these coyotes are it is really tough to get any closer than about 400 yards. They are out in a little willow creek bottom with huge fields around it. We are sneaking down in the sage that borders the fields. It is like they know to stay out in the middle!!

I have played around a little bit with a howler but never really had the confidence in it to not scare them away. I will have to give that a try next time.

Heres another question for you guys. Do you think that these coyotes that we already called to that ignored our calls will be call shy now? Or should we still have a good chance of getting them to come in?

Thanks again!

Hunt---Sometimes they just don't come to a call even though they can obviously here it. They aren't hungry enough or curious enough to come check it out. The doctors have had a few that will ignore us for 30 minutes or more, then for no known reason they head our way and end up fairly close. Others work the other way and never give a shot. If you can't get closer, your only real option is to wait them out and try every sound you can think of in the process. I don't believe they will be call shy as you didn't really spook them. They may very well come running on monday. Its always a surprise when dealing with coyotes.
Doc

http://www.huntingcoyotes.com/

PredatorPaul: I am curious What effect you have seen the full moon have on coyotes?

Well we got back out after these guys again the other day and had a lot of the same results. Both days we called coyotes in on the very first stand of the day and last stand but after that it definitely got a little tougher. They were ignoring both the distress calls and the howels.

One time we had four or five dogs all howling back at us from the north and then another started in howling back at them from the south. He slowly worked his way towards us but eventually lost interest and headed to the real dogs.

I am totally convinced that we just need a big cold snap and some more snow to make it a little tougher on these coyotes to get food and make them more hungry and willing to come to our calls. We wathced and got film of several dogs catching mice out in the fields! Still had an awesome time just being out and seeing so many animals!

Thanks again for all the replies!

I've had a few experiences like that, and I look at it as a learning experience. First off, I get to watch them as they go about their business undisturbed. I also get to watch their reaction to the calling, and see what they do when I howl, yip, or just use a distress. And my outcomes have varied like the others say; sometimes they come, sometimes they just saunter on out of sight.

From these adventures I've learned to stay a little longer on stand, and carry some variety with me. Heck, I have more calls hanging around my neck than a duck hunter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm intrigued and fascinated by predators, and the time I spend watching them is never wasted. Frustrating maybe, but always fun.

Daybreak

Back