Got one at first light.

purdygood

Well,I finally got one today.It was great.I set up before the sun came up along a brushy old fence line on a dry lake bottom surrounded by cotton fields.The wind was blowing 5-10 mph from the SSW.I had my back against an old fence post looking to the north.I had the Yellow Hammer woodpecker in the tape player and was waiting for the sun to start to show.Well at about 7:10 it was finally light enough to see movement if it were there out to about 100 yards.I started the tape and went back and sat at my post.It wasn't 5 minutes and I seen one coming along the cotton field to my North and on the left.I put him in my scope and could barley make him out.He stopped for a second ,his contrasting light coat against the brown dirt allowed me to keep him in my sights as he kept coming in to the call.Then at about 50 yards he decides to cross thru the brush and weeds and get on my right side in front of me.I could see him thru my scope he was looking feverishly for that woodpecker.Well at about 20 -25 yards I introduced him to my Nosler.

I hit him and he dropped .I waited for a short while ,didn't see anymore so I got up paced it off at 19 paces.I hit him as he was quartering towards me in the shoulder where it meets the neck.It wasn't pretty.The nosler 70 Gr. BT expoded on impact with the shoulder and made a softball sized entrance and no exit.

I guessed him at about 30 lbs.He had a huge head and a big body.I thought for a second I had shot somebodies German Shepard.I will post the pics as soon as I get them downloaded.

I made five more stands that were dry so I took off to the house and was home by 9:30

This is my first coyote to actually call in and shoot all by my self.WOOHOO!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Ray
"Any bad day huntin' is bettern any good day workin'"

"If they run they will only die tired"

[This message has been edited by purdygood (edited 12-22-2001).]

purdygood--GREAT GOING!!! I enjoyed your detailed account of the hunt. It sounds like your coyote was trying to get around and get the scent of that delicious sounding woodpecker. Man, 19 paces, that is shotgun distance instead of 70 gr. Nosler BT! Be sure to get those pictures posted.

Silverfox,

I had it with me but left it in the Bronco.My buddy said I would have to shoot them a little further out
smile.gif
or reduce my load some
smile.gif
Maybe the next time I will tote them both to the stand.

It looked some what like the one you got with your .17 the other day.

------------------
Ray

[This message has been edited by purdygood (edited 12-22-2001).]

here are the pics from this hunt.
This is the entrance wound.
Coyote%202%20%2012-22-01.jpg

This is the same one but you can't see the wound.
Coyote%2012-22-01.jpg

I posted these in the picture gallery also

------------------
Ray

Good story and nice looking coyote.
I hit one in the shoulder with a 45grain positive expanding point out of my 22-250. It left about a 3" hole on the entrance and no exit. There's not alot you can do about that. Almost any light weight varmint bullet will do that.

Later,
Justin

------------------
My pics
My web page

Great story and pic, nice looking coyote.
I agree with Justin, there isn't much you can do if that little pill is moving much over .222 velocity and catches a heavy bone or soft tissue.Pass me the needle and thread please. Great job and keep it coming.

[This message has been edited by iawill (edited 01-03-2002).]

Back